Tips: Gunky Scalp

BellaM

I have a scalp problem as long as I could remember. No matter how much or how hard I wash my hair, my scalp still is flaky and itchy. I thought it might me a dry scalp but I dont think so anymore. Not after today. My scalp was itching like crazy so I decided to go through my scalp with a rattail comb. My scalp looked horrible, you have no idea. So much build up its unbelievable. So i came across this thread created by cocoberry10...She has good ways to target my condition!!

COCOBERRY10
I am having a gunky scalp problem. No matter how many times I shampoo, it’s not going away. I have even used clarifying to get rid of the gunk, but to no avail. I can scratch my scalp when dry and get all kinds of gunk under my fingernails. Eew, gross. What can I do? What is this? Is it sebum or product buildup. It’s kind of a creamy grayish white color.

At first, I thought the problem was due to product buildup (i.e. me not washing all the conditioner out of my hair). But the conditioners I use are too lightweight (Keracare, Suave, Mane n Tail) not to “rinse clean”. No matter what I did, there was always this gunky film (grayish/creamy white) left on my scalp when I would part to do my rollerset. I couldn’t figure out what it was, but now I realize that it’s sebum buildup created by the sulphates (detergents) in shampoo (who would have thought?!) Here are some tips for those having this same issue

(1) Coconut Oil: Oil the scalp with coconut oil before a wash (leave on about 20-30 minutes or so) (even if you have a very very oily scalp, ‘oil dissolves oil’).
(2) Sulphate Free Shampoos such as Burt's Bees (Grapefruit or Rasberry) or Avalon Organics (the peppermint/rosemary one)
(3) Conditioner Washes only (only no shampoo). I couldn't do this, but some mentioned this solved their problem.
(4) Brown Sugar Scrub: Mix 1/4 cup unpacked brown sugar and one tablespoon conditioner before my regular wash, mix it up, rub on my scalp
(5) Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse (Not sure if this works for our type 2, 3, and 4 hair)--Bragg's apple cider vinegar (a brand I guess)

Thanks Cocoberry10!!

It's a larger problem than product build up. I have had this all my life. It's a seborrheic dermatitis. I can use Nizoral shampoo and 2-3 days later I can peel/scrap large flakes off my scalp. The gray gunk is your skin and the oils you use plus your own sebum that makes a paste..so to speak..

I've experienced the same problem. I would wash my hair condition and wind up with "gunk" on my scalp. This problem ceased when I began using ACV/BS rinses. No more problem. Also, I'm careful to properly rinse all products from my scalp.

i've had a similar problem
tea tree shampoo fixed that and i have a friend with the same problem and tea tree shampoo helped her out and her flakey scalp

i don't think it matters what brand you use because me and my friend used different shampoos.she used a cheapie one
i live in the UK and used the one from holland and barretts

i would suggest not using cones at all as well

i've had a similar problem
tea tree shampoo fixed that and i have a friend with the same problem and tea tree shampoo helped her out and her flakey scalp

i don't think it matters what brand you use because me and my friend used different shampoos.she used a cheapie one
i live in the UK and used the one from holland and barretts

i would suggest not using cones at all as well

Yes Im trying to stay away from cones 4rm now on

Switch between Nizoral and a peppermint shampoo that doesn't have sulfates. I've tried the coal tar, but it's hard walking around smelling like coal.

It's a larger problem than product build up. I have had this all my life. It's a seborrheic dermatitis. I can use Nizoral shampoo and 2-3 days later I can peel/scrap large flakes off my scalp. The gray gunk is your skin and the oils you use plus your own sebum that makes a paste..so to speak..

Yes, it's dermatologist time.

I agree with Mleah probably because I have the same condition - seborrheic dermatitis. I think sometimes we don't think of our scalp as skin. I got an overnight treatment from my dermatologist for my scalp followed by Neutragena Tar Shampoo. The shampoo really dries the hair but a good DC could solve that problem. Since I cleared up the scalp issue, my hair was able to grow.

I have the same problem and Nizoral worked for me. As long as I'm using it I don't see any flakes.

Back