Tips for Maintaining Rollersets???

Lady Esquire

Hello to my Rollersetters:

I have incorporated rollersetting into my routine and I have gotten really good at it with both my technique and speed, except I am still on a search for that perfect leave-in.

However, I bun 99% of the time as a protective style, because I have found it is the best way to retain length, especially when I was trying to grow passed my shoulders, which is one of the hardest humps to get over. Now, I am nursing my hairline and nape back to health, and the constant bunning may not be helping. But truth be told, part of the reason I bun so often is because I do not mainitain the rollerset very well, days afterwards. I would like to start wearing my hair out more often, maybe 3-4 days during the week.

There are too many women to mention with the most prettiest, fullest, and most fierce heads of hair on the boards who rollerset often, and these women DO wear their hair OUT on a regular basis.

So, I am fishing for tips. Godsflowerr wears pin curls to bed. DJD, on another board, wears the mohawk roller set to bed (I like this one but my hair on the sides is not long enough for this one). Some wear a loose pony on the crown, when they go to bed... with a roller on top (I tried, but hair is not long enough and I wake up with flat hair).

Any other ideas for maintaining a rollerset?

Last edited:
Well, what I have seen the dominican's do at the salon I go to is twist the curl hair up to the scalp, spray it with something that smells good (not hairspray) and then use the pins they use for rolling the hair to hold it to place for those who want to keep there curls. I don't know if this is pincurling as I do not know what pincurling is.

I see that you are now in Atlanta, I just moved here to and I went to Lily's Hair Salon and saw this.

Hope that helped a little.:)

At night I put my hair in a loose bun when I'm trying to maintain my rollerset look. The bun helps my hair keep it's spiral shape. If I don't plan to wear it out I do a tighter bun.

Kari107 said:
At night I put my hair in a loose bun when I'm trying to maintain my rollerset look. The bun helps my hair keep it's spiral shape. If I don't plan to wear it out I do a tighter bun.

how do you bun without messing up your curls??

tatje said:
Well, what I have seen the dominican's do at the salon I go to is twist the curl hair up to the scalp, spray it with something that smells good (not hairspray) and then use the pins they use for rolling the hair to hold it to place for those who want to keep there curls. I don't know if this is pincurling as I do not know what pincurling is.

I see that you are now in Atlanta, I just moved here to and I went to Lily's Hair Salon and saw this.

Hey Tatje, I just moved to Atlanta too and recently visited Lilly's about 3-4 weeks ago. I did see the technique you mentioned. Yes, this is a variation of pin curling. Girl I tried to do it at home, and the next morning, I woke up with a frizzy mess...lol...I think I will try again.

By the way, who did you go to? I went to Bella's station.

Which look are you going for? Do you want a tightly curled look (curled from roots to ends) or a less curled look? Depending on what you want I would suggest flexirods at night. Depending upon the sectioning and the diameter of the rod, you control the degree of curliness.
Tightly curled = more/smaller sections
Less curled = less/larger sections
They are pretty comfortable to sleep in at night.
HTH

CoCoEspresso said:
Which look are you going for? Do you want a tightly curled look (curled from roots to ends) or a less curled look? Depending on what you want I would suggest flexirods at night. Depending upon the sectioning and the diameter of the rod, you control the degree of curliness.
Tightly curled = more/smaller sections
Less curled = less/larger sections
They are pretty comfortable to sleep in at night.
HTH

That is a GREAT tip. I want different looks...depending on my mood or where I am headed the next day. I will purchase flexis next BSS trip. :p

LadyEsquire said:
Hey Tatje, I just moved to Atlanta too and recently visited Lilly's about 3-4 weeks ago. I did see the technique you mentioned. Yes, this is a variation of pin curling. Girl I tried to do it at home, and the next morning, I woke up with a frizzy mess...lol...I think I will try again.

By the way, who did you go to? I went to Bella's station.

Hey, that's good to know. Now I know what pincurling is. You learn something everyday. I either go to Doris or Nena (To me they do a great job on long or short hair). Yesterday, I went after 5 and both Doris and Nena don't work after 5 so I decided to try Fifi. Big mistake. I was crying with the heat. Never had that happen before. This lady is crazy. Never again. Is Bella good?

I moved here from South Florida too. We have a similar past. I went from Queens, to Ft. Lauderdale, to now here. Funny. :D

I put my hair in pin curls at night and my rollerset lasts until I wash hair again the following week.

MsDee4 said:
how do you bun without messing up your curls??
For me loose bunning creates a pincurl effect. When I loosely bun, it creates waves. When I did the rollerset in the avatar I maintained it that way. Although, everyday the curl would loosen a bit.

tatje said:
Hey, that's good to know. Now I know what pincurling is. You learn something everyday. I either go to Doris or Nena (To me they do a great job on long or short hair). Yesterday, I went after 5 and both Doris and Nena don't work after 5 so I decided to try Fifi. Big mistake. I was crying with the heat. Never had that happen before. This lady is crazy. Never again. Is Bella good?

I moved here from South Florida too. We have a similar past. I went from Queens, to Ft. Lauderdale, to now here. Funny. :D

Bella ripped thru my 14 weeks worth of new growth with a tiny rat tail comb. She kept insisting my hair was damaged, but I was trying to tell her it was merely texlaxed. She did not speak a lick of English and we communicated with hand gestures and thru another woman who spoke a word or two more words of English than she did. However her own hair was ridiculously long, full, and healthy. Overall, my hair came out decent. One of the girls on this board with healthy hair recommended Bella to me, so I guess she cannot be all that bad. But most likely I may go back to self-relaxing.

Also, there is a trend of people like us sprouting up. People originally from NY - than moved to S. FL in the 80s and 90s 'cause the FL housing market was good. Then recently in the late 90s and 2000s started moving to ATL 'cause of the even better housing market. We are called "half-packs" - we moved half way in between the two. I miss NY and FL for different reasons...I do not know if I am in love with ATL yet.

I just wanted to say that I used the Purple flexirods, they give me a pretty tight curl, and my hair is shorter than yours, so if that is any indication...I think the next size up is grey, I'm not sure though. I got mine at Sallys.

I second the pincurls, though personally, I usually just re roll.
I section, then apply some Profective Mega Growth lotion (LAWD this stuff is AMAZING!) and then roll.
Rollersets look brand new and fresh everyday.

Pincurling I save for those days when I am in a rush, but the curl isn't really the same. Good, but just different. But I wear my hair really curly when I rollerset!

I am interested in this as well. I have been doing a rollerset for the last 6 or 7 weeks but I fail miserably at maintaining it.

The more I hear about Lily's the less I want to go there. I'm scared. I go to a salon up in cobb county, right at the marietta kennesaw border called Magrestiv. They're thorough but gentle, the dryers are not whitehot (they use a nozzle) and my hair has been looking and feeling great. My problems come when I get home. I dunno what to do with it.

SkinnyMocah said:
I am interested in this as well. I have been doing a rollerset for the last 6 or 7 weeks but I fail miserably at maintaining it.

The more I hear about Lily's the less I want to go there. I'm scared. I go to a salon up in cobb county, right at the marietta kennesaw border called Magrestiv. They're thorough but gentle, the dryers are not whitehot (they use a nozzle) and my hair has been looking and feeling great. My problems come when I get home. I dunno what to do with it.

SkinnyMocah,

Can you recommend someone at Magrestiv? I'm closer to Marietta/Kennesaw than I am to Jimmy Carter Blvd. And my stylist at Lilly's is leaving to open her own shop anyway.

TIA!

I re roll every other day they days i dont roll i just put i silk scarf on my head (dont make it really tight ) and the next morning i put a little moisturizer on pick out the curls with my finger and keep it moving
this helps me i usually re roll during a tv show that i really like before i know it i am done
hope this helps

Hi ladyesquire,

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than "You have pretty hair!"
Keep up the good work :)!

GABeauty said:
SkinnyMocah,

Can you recommend someone at Magrestiv? I'm closer to Marietta/Kennesaw than I am to Jimmy Carter Blvd. And my stylist at Lilly's is leaving to open her own shop anyway.

TIA!

I always get mine done by by Lizz. She's a little slow, but thorough and cute as a button. Marisol is also recommended, but I've never had my hair done by her. I think Ruth does a good job but I got the impression she is still learning. She does a GREAT wash though... mmmmmmmmmmmm! She gives you a nice head massage, a thorough cleaning. I get a deep conditioner as well, my hair doesn't like it when I don't get that!

Everyone there is really friendly. Yesterday there was practically no one there and they were all sitting around watching Spanish soap operas and laughing.

NuMe2004 said:
Hi ladyesquire,

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than "You have pretty hair!"
Keep up the good work :)!

Awwww! Blushing! Thank you. I visited your fotiki and I love your hair. It is so thick. The red highlights are on fiyah! Your layers are so beautiful. I tried to leave a comment in your fotki but your settings are not up. Keep up the great job girl. You will BSL soon and you're gonna be one of those really nice full BSL...

Ciao! Muuuah!

SkinnyMocah said:
I always get mine done by by Lizz. She's a little slow, but thorough and cute as a button. Marisol is also recommended, but I've never had my hair done by her. I think Ruth does a good job but I got the impression she is still learning. She does a GREAT wash though... mmmmmmmmmmmm! She gives you a nice head massage, a thorough cleaning. I get a deep conditioner as well, my hair doesn't like it when I don't get that!

Everyone there is really friendly. Yesterday there was practically no one there and they were all sitting around watching Spanish soap operas and laughing.

Even though I recently swore off salons, I am still very new to ATL, therefore I have yet to meet that one stylist who my hair truly loves. Plus, it is good to have a stylist under your belt, just in case you have a special event to go to, or just to have one for pampering and what not. I will take note of this salon...thanks.

I use the satin foam rollers at night. I usaully re roll my hair ( thicker sections) and put a scarf over and in the morning finger comb. It makes my hair look like a fresh roller set each morning.

for the ladies that pincurl, could you explain exactly how you do it and in what direction please?

Something I just found that works, pretty sure i read it here. my hair is layered and I comb it all back so it's all laying straight back. Then I casually split my hair into four sections. I roll each section on a medium roller and use a bobby pin to secure it. I end up with two rollers on top and two rollers on the bottom like a square. Then I have one of those satin scarfs that's made for long hair, it's designed like a pillowcase with longer pieces to tie around my head. I put that around my hair to protect it and in the morning it's actually pretty nice!

The nice thing about rolling straight to the back is that the rollers really don't bother me that much when I sleep. Just make sure you put it in the center of your head as much as you can. Mind you, I'm not a pretty sleeper, so if this works for me, it can work for someone else!

ajoyfuljoy said:
for the ladies that pincurl, could you explain exactly how you do it and in what direction please?

go to Godflowerrr's fotki - she has a pincurl tutorial. she has great rollersetting results. ;)

Another Question for women who maintain their rollersets: what moisturizers/oils are you using?

How often are you using them? Once/Twice Daily, Every Other Day?? ;)

oil...some type of oil

if you want it kept, use oil along with a setting lotion that repels moisture.

I've had roller sets to keep for 3 weeks. Trust.

tatje said:

That's a pin curl, but I do it during the day like when I'm in the shower. I've tried sleeping with them in and they just look bent and weird when I wake up.

The closet I've come to maintaining my rollerset is to put it in 2 or 3 rolled up buns and pin it.

Back