Tips for cowashing when there is new growth

MDinLA

OK, so I have started to cowash. I am about 6 weeks post relaxer so I have new growth that is TANGLING. How do you guys cowash such that the tangling is at an absolute minimal at the NG and the rest of the hair? I may have to give up on this or get a perm if I can't solve this problem. Today I had to comb through my hair starting two inches from my scalp cause I didn't want to mess with the NG. lol. HELP!

What you can do is apply the conditioner all over the hair and then detangle in sections. You will have to be very gentle in this process because the hair is most fragile when it is wet. If there is a tangled section, try applying more conditioner to it to detangle it with more ease. HTH and good luck with con washing!

Thanks Anointed.

I actually saw posts of people who washed in braided sections. So I kind of tried that. I washed in one large braid lol. Some of my hair came out of the braid during the washing process. It didn't seem as tangled as if my entire hair was loose. Maybe I will wash in 4 braids or more in the future. But I did detangle in sections with leave in conditioner, but I STILL couldn't comb through the new growth. So the NG is a bigger problem than the rest of the hair. Needless to say since I couldn't comb through the NG, I was looking awful when I went out the house today. So I'm hoping to find a better solution for that.

The type of comb and leave-in you use I think is key! After cowashing with a conditioner that has a lot of slip I use a leave in that give some slip on damp, but not wet hair, and detangle with a shower comb. Currently, I am using Qhemet products but in the pass I've used Cantu shea butter leave in, it's cheaper and works just as fine and was also good at laying down frizzy edges. Good luck!

Thanks DidiRose.

I have a very nice large tooth comb that I have used for YEARS and it has worked very well. Currently for cowashing I have been using Mane N Tail conditioner for cowash and as a leave in. When I do shampoo, I use keracare detangling shampoo and humecto conditioner. This combo gives great slip. The reason I use the MNT for cowashing is because the Keracare products are so expensive, plus I was hoping that the MTG would help with growth. Maybe I will try using the Keracare one time for a cowash and see if it makes a difference, and just shell out the money for it when it finishes. :ohwell:

Thanks DidiRose.

I have a very nice large tooth comb that I have used for YEARS and it has worked very well. Currently for cowashing I have been using Mane N Tail conditioner for cowash and as a leave in. When I do shampoo, I use keracare detangling shampoo and humecto conditioner. This combo gives great slip. The reason I use the MNT for cowashing is because the Keracare products are so expensive, plus I was hoping that the MTG would help with growth. Maybe I will try using the Keracare one time for a cowash and see if it makes a difference, and just shell out the money for it when it finishes. :ohwell:

I've used MNT for cowashes too in the past but once I get a lot of new growth (at 10 weeks of stretching) I'll grab the cheapies like Suave condition (usually under $2) and they give enough slip to detangle in the shower with my fingers. Later on, I finish with my leave-in and I usually don't have much shedding.

I've used MNT for cowashes too in the past but once I get a lot of new growth (at 10 weeks of stretching) I'll grab the cheapies like Suave condition (usually under $2) and they give enough slip to detangle in the shower with my fingers. Later on, I finish with my leave-in and I usually don't have much shedding.

Do you think that the cheapies like Suave give more slip to your NG than MNT?

Do you think that the cheapies like Suave give more slip to your NG than MNT?

I had to do a quick search to find which cheapie I used before. It was actually by herbal essence:

http://www.herbalessences.com/us/collections/hello_hydration/

With my expensive conditioners I'm usually careful with how much I use but with that one I can freely use twice as much and it gives me a lot of slip. I'm actually tempted to buy again maybe after I'm done with my current products. But yes, this particular cheapie gave me more slip than MNT.

Hmmm, you're calling the PJ in me. I may consider the Hello Hydration. BTW, did you notice that they are twice as much as the conditioners in the other lines? I'm also considering the anti- breakage one. Has anyone ever tried the anti-breakage line and had success with it?

OK, so I have started to cowash. I am about 6 weeks post relaxer so I have new growth that is TANGLING. How do you guys cowash such that the tangling is at an absolute minimal at the NG and the rest of the hair? I may have to give up on this or get a perm if I can't solve this problem. Today I had to comb through my hair starting two inches from my scalp cause I didn't want to mess with the NG. lol. HELP!

bumping for more recommendations guys

ITA. At least and a half weeks, my NG is really thick and wavy right now. I did a co-wash last night in the shower with Suave Milk and Honey and sealed with NTM silk touch leave in. My hair was unbearably soft and manageable, detangling wasn't much of an issue and just pulled it back in a bun and sat under the dryer.

I don't know the long term affects of using this on a regular/weekly basis (unless someone can chime in and confirm it's ok) but you might try Porosity Control conditioner for detangling to regain some control, now. I don't know what's in this stuff but it gives me crazy slip in the shower AND out of the shower. Out of the shower I apply in sections and the hair just slips.

If the others say it's not good to use on a weekly basis (as it 's purpose is to restore the porosity/ph levels in your hair) I would use it to gain control, detangle really well and put on the shelf for another time when it's unruly.

Maybe if you get your hair detangled really, really well, you should be able to use any conditioner to detangle in the shower going forward.

I'm 13 & 3/4 weeks post and its a saver for sure.

Last edited:
I don't know the long term affects of using this on a regular/weekly basis (unless someone can chime in and confirm it's ok) but you might try Porosity Control conditioner for detangling to regain some control, now. I don't know what's in this stuff but it gives me crazy slip in the shower AND out of the shower. Out of the shower I apply in sections and the hair just slips.

If the others say it's not good to use on a weekly basis (as it 's purpose is to restore the porosity/ph levels in your hair) I would use it to gain control, detangle really well and put on the shelf for another time when it's unruly.

Maybe if you get your hair detangled really, really well, you should be able to use any conditioner to detangle in the shower going forward.

Do you use it every time you cowash?

So I went to the pharmacy and picked up Suave Tropical Coconut as it was under $2. I had to leave the HE alone cause I have to cut down on the amount of money I spend. Thanks for the recommendations. We'll see how it works for my hair.

I am currently 7wks post and I cowash with 6-8 flat twists in my hair (I place fabric covered rubber bands on the ends so that the twist wont loosen)...I air dry my hair while in these twists,place oil on the ends to seal...less manipulation equals less damage/breakage HTH:yep:

i actually do a prepoo with conditioner (rinse out or dc).sometimes i'll add honey which is good natural humectant
apply it to ng with applicator brush, then use the steam towel method for heat.
then i proceed my normal wash.

it's been working for me

I am currently 7wks post and I cowash with 6-8 flat twists in my hair (I place fabric covered rubber bands on the ends so that the twist wont loosen)...I air dry my hair while in these twists,place oil on the ends to seal...less manipulation equals less damage/breakage HTH:yep:

Hmmm, I will have to try this. Since I have been cowashing the past week, I have done it right before I had to leave the house, so it is still wet and gets tangled again even after I have combed it out. Maybe I will have to cowash like this on the days I don't have anywhere to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

i actually do a prepoo with conditioner (rinse out or dc).sometimes i'll add honey which is good natural humectant
apply it to ng with applicator brush, then use the steam towel method for heat.
then i proceed my normal wash.

it's been working for me

Thanks for the suggestion. I usually prepoo on my weekend days. I don't know if I can do it for my regular cowashes though. That would mean an extra half hour 2- 3 times/ week. But when I do this on the weekends, and rollerset, I don't usually have a problem.

i'm interested in this...
can you speak more of this conditioner? how much? where can it be found?

i'm interested in this...
can you speak more of this conditioner? how much? where it can be found?

Comb under running shower, after letting conditioner sat on your hair a couple of minutes. And never, never, run water through your hair upside down(in the sink) It just creates tangles.

Comb under running shower, after letting conditioner sat on your hair a couple of minutes. And never, never, run water through your hair upside down(in the sink) It just creates tangles.
Hmmm, I will try that next time. I usually comb out after I am out of the shower and have towel dried. Maybe if my hair is soaking wet it may be easier.

Okay - my question is:

I tried my first co-wash last Friday - all went well used V05 strawberries and cream. No problems with detangling, etc. Applied my leave-in (KeraCare) and sealed with coconut oil. Fine. Put in bun to airdry.

Now the second and third days is where things start to get hectic for me when airdrying - my crown center of my hair gets very dry - I apply KeraCare creme hairdress but it does not seem to be doing the trick - not enough moisture and I have no sheen/shine. The underlayers of my hair is dry - how can I overcome this or what other products can I try. I would love to airdry more often but it's trouble after the second/third day - also tangled.

I'm 10 weeks post now, and I'm trying to stretch for 16 weeks or longer.

bumping ladies. what method do you use to coawash your hair to prevent detangling including NG. Any suggestions? We have multiple flat twists with rubber bands, we have combing out under running water, adding lots and lots of condish.... any other recommendations?

Back