Tips for avoiding tangled ends with rollersets?

Glib Gurl

Ladies - I need help! One of my favorite hairstyles is a dry, overnight rollerset. I wake up with curls that are pretty easy to wear in various styles (up do, with a headband, etc.). But one problem is that my ends end up getting tangled :mad: and ai end up with breakage :cry:

Is there anything I can do to prevent such tangles (other than giving up my beloved rollersets)?

Hmmm...I'm not exactlysure bc my rollersets come out smooth and tangle free. You should head over to the Roller setting challenge thread. There's lots of good tips and techniques for great rollersets.

Can you post exactly what you do to your hair when you roller set? Like what products do you apply, what type of rollers, etc? I know my roller sets were a HAM when I used setting or wrap lotion...the ends would be crunchy and horrid. I found that plain water and a little bit of Chi Silk Infusion on the ends was all I needed.

I would try a little serum on wet hair for lubrication. Other than that, maybe your ends are tangling on each other because they are uneven. A small trim may help. It's how I know it's time for a trim. When your ends keep tangling on each other, that can lead to splits.

Hmmm...I'm not exactlysure bc my rollersets come out smooth and tangle free. You should head over to the Roller setting challenge thread. There's lots of good tips and techniques for great rollersets.

Can you post exactly what you do to your hair when you roller set? Like what products do you apply, what type of rollers, etc? I know my roller sets were a HAM when I used setting or wrap lotion...the ends would be crunchy and horrid. I found that plain water and a little bit of Chi Silk Infusion on the ends was all I needed.

I didn't know about the challenge - will check it out! :yep:

I usually just run some BB Growth Lotion through my fingers and use fabric-covered twisties :look: (Can't remember the actual name of the rollers right now.)

I do think my split ends may be part of the problem. :nono:

I didn't know about the challenge - will check it out! :yep: YES! It's a great challenge, and it's not too late to sign up!

I usually just run some BB Growth Lotion through my fingers and use fabric-covered twisties :look: (Can't remember the actual name of the rollers right now.)

I do think my split ends may be part of the problem. :nono:
I once tried a flexirod set with splits and my ends were a tangled mess. I was losing so much hair that I thought I was going to have a set back! Now I dust my ends regularly and I don't have that problem anymore.

maybe use a little oil on the ends... even a heavy oil to keep your ends lubricated and thus smoothed out

I found that the key to getting smooth ends was to

1. Really moisturize the ends with a not too oily moisturizer (oily moisturizers weighed my hair down and the curls did not hold)

2. Comb through the entire hair and ends with a rat tail comb (seamless or bone preferably), smoothing the end between your fingers as you go along.

3. Hold hair taught, ONLY smooth the ends onto the roller, and keep smoothing until the ends lays flat ( you may need to add more moisturizer to do this)

4. Still holding taught, roll the hair gently pulling as you roll.

This technique always created perfectly smooth hair even with mild split ends. However, there comes a point when no matter how much smoothing you do the ends still tangle or become dry. Then I would know it's time for a trim =)

Back