Thoughts of starting over....

bluediamond0829

well ive been thinking since im going to be more financially able to visit a salon more often...probably can do so every week...i was thinking about the health of my hair and finding someone a stylist that promotes taking care of hair and getting it healthy...i want something of a soft maybe short cut...but i dont know yet if im sure i want to do this or not...i know right now im on the Sew in Weave Challenge...but that was only because of the fact that i wanted to get my hair back and couldnt afford to go to a salon...but its really damaged all over...and then the thought of rather damaged hair can be repaired....has anyone ever done this before????...as you can see in my album i havent came too far from my photos from May 05 when my hair became very damaged up until the point where i decided to get my sewin done in December 05...i just wanted to get some of ur opinions on this...im taking my vitamins...but my hair has not changed much...

I think it's a good idea if your hair is really suffering. I'm going through something similar. My hair is damaged all over too--short pieces, long pieces, split ends. I'm still trying to figure out the cause--flat iron, switching to lye, hard water. I've been slowly self-trimming but I need a really good CUT. I'm definitely going to cut off a good amount in the next few weeks when I find a good stylist/cutter. I'm going to go to chin, maybe ear length. I'm just about shoulder length now. Keep us updated on what you decide.

Well on the thought of can damaged hair be repaired? My story is that my hair broke of in the middle really bad then it broke off in the front even worst. I was taking care of my hair the parts that weren't breaking were thick and growing. It was amazing that after all that breakage I still looked like I had hair. But anyway I big chopped and started over natural. I don't think damage can be repaired if the ends are split the only way to restore is to cut the breakage out. No protein treatment in the world is going to get them back. That's just my opinion others may have more promising thoughts. If you dont have splits but wanted a more healthier and even look. Cutting is not that bad as long as you care for your hair it should thrive. And if the damage it is not bad maybe you can just cut above it.

bluediamond0829 said:
well ive been thinking since im going to be more financially able to visit a salon more often...probably can do so every week...i was thinking about the health of my hair and finding someone a stylist that promotes taking care of hair and getting it healthy...i want something of a soft maybe short cut...but i dont know yet if im sure i want to do this or not...i know right now im on the Sew in Weave Challenge...but that was only because of the fact that i wanted to get my hair back and couldnt afford to go to a salon...but its really damaged all over...and then the thought of rather damaged hair can be repaired....has anyone ever done this before????...as you can see in my album i havent came too far from my photos from May 05 when my hair became very damaged up until the point where i decided to get my sewin done in December 05...i just wanted to get some of ur opinions on this...im taking my vitamins...but my hair has not changed much...

I don't see anything wrong with seeing a stylist to help you start fresh!:D The only thing I would worry about is whether or not you've figured out exactly what it was that put you in the situation you are in right now. If you haven't pin pointed the root cause, you may be in danger of repeating the same mistake again on your own. The sew-in may have also made it more difficult for you to actually realize and treat your hair issues the way they needed to be. Its important with weaves that you give your hair a break at some point so that you can access your hair and analyze it to see what further steps you may need to take.

But do make sure you find a good, reliable stylist who understands your unique hair goals, especially if you plan to be in her chair every week.:yep: You want your money to be used for the best benefit each week-- rather than shelling out that money for a lost cause. HTH.

A fresh, new cut would be great! In all of your hair albums, you just sounded so defeated.:( Maybe this is what you and your hair need to get a jump start on things. ;)

But if you get a short style, the maintenance of the style should be considered. If it requires a lot of heat, expect damage. So maybe you wouldnt want to do that.

thanks everyone for your responses...but then thats going to be the problem how else would i get it cut...i mean i know i have alot of damage and theres nothing left to do...thats what my conclusion is..i know the upkeep of having a short cut and have been thru it before...but i know now i can fully dedicate the upkeep to being in the salon and truly finding someone and sticking with that one person..the difference between back then and now is that i cldnt keep up with the short cut and was praying for it to get long enough to add extensions on.....

i would think i would want something like either one of these two if i didnt have to go to short...

http://blackhairmedia.com/shorthairstyles.htm

the pictures of the two ladies that are the far right one is from Hair Divas Salon and the one right below that one...because i really dont want to have to shave or cut down the back much...because it takes so long to grow it back out...

and then if i had to get something shorter...i would want it to be soft like the first two looks...

or like this one...http://blackhairmedia.com/visitorhairstyles.htm but i knw her hair is really short...its the one in the middle with the pinkish or lavendar background....

In 2003 I experienced severe damage b/c I was blowdrying my hair and wasn't going to a salon. My hair was long, but I had see-through ends. I have shared my pics before...I decided that I was going to find a stylist who was interested in improving the health of my hair and not just say "cut it all off" and start over. I had to go through 4 hairdressers before I finally found one. I got my hair cut to just above bra-strap and it has grown back to it's current length in 2 yrs time. You can definitely reverse the process and get a healthy head of hair. For me I can flat-iron and do everything else, but using a blowdryer just destroys my hair...

I agree with sistaslick and lala. I started out with horribly damaged hair. I ended up cutting it off to a twa in 03/2004. I thought I wanted to be a natural. Then I went to a stylist in 12/2004 and she jacked me up. I ended up taking care of my hair on my own and my hair has done a complete turn around.
It wasn't easy and it wasn't pretty. I had weaves put in that held up my progress. It took me a long time to find out what my hair liked, but once I did my hair got better. It got thicker, then healthier and now, finally, it is getting longer.
There are some good stylists that are willing to listen to you and work with you on your hair goals. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Good luck with your decision. Maybe a trim is in order, but you may not need to do a drastic cut. Also, maybe the weaves are putting too much stress on you hair. Have you thought about falls? That way, you can get the look of a weave, but be able to wash and deep condition your hair more often that you would a weave. I personally know that you can come back from damaged hair without doing anything too drastic.

Hey, I don't think you should do anything drastic. You probably should do like a mini cut to even your hair. You probably should look at things you been doing to your hair before deciding to make a big cut. I think you probably should give your hair a break from the weaves and wear some protective styles. I have been in the same predictment twice. The first time I decided to do the big cut but the second time I decided to fix the damage. So I think you can fix the damage but it's not an easy process.

Well with my old stylist I was starting over and starting over just because she said I needed too until I stop going to her. I now go to another stylist after the last "start up" cut above the ear and my hair has been growing better but I get trims often (every relaxer 8-12 weeks) so my hair can catch up to one length and as the months past my split ends are becoming less frequent. So I say fresh start as long as you dont repeat the same mistakes that caused the damage before.

thanks everyone for their input...i think thats what its going to be....like i said i dont want to start over and go too short...i just want to maybe give weaves a rest and start faithfully going to someone that can handle my hair...im too much of a pj and with that that maybe causing more damage...

Back