This is gross. Has it happened to you?

NuMe2004

Hey y'all,

I was in So Cal this past weekend and got a suntan on my face and a really bad sunburn on the back of my neck (I was wearing my hair up high on my head with neck exposed). I know I should have worn sunblock, but I didn't, and now my skin is in PAIN!

Anywayz, in addition to getting sunburned, I also purchased this product from Sally's called Crystal Ice by Proclaim. It's a pomade that I used on my edges. I've never used it before this weekend, so I don't know if my edges got sunburned as well, or if the new product is causing problems, but right now my scalp is shedding like snakeskin along my edges! It's really gross and all I can do is put coconut oil on it.

I've been brushing my hair in the front, and more skin is peeling. Do you think it's a sunburn, or the new pomade? Has this happened to you before?? HELP!

Sorry to hear that!!!!! It probably is sunburn. I would put Aloe vera on it though. It will sooth and heal:)

Something similar like that happened to me 2 years ago. I have no idea what caused it, but it was a little patch on my hair line that kept peeling like big corn flakes. When I saw what was happening, I went to Wal-mart so that I could find a medicated shampoo (Sulfur 8), but I couldn't find it. So I just did a regular wash with Creme of Nature, and I gently scrubbed/exfoliated that area while washing. After a couple days, it cleared up. Till this day, I have no idea what it could have been that caused it.

I sunburn very easily. It sounds like that. Aloe vera gel and for goodness sakes, DON'T BRUSH! I got sunburned in my scalp once because my hair was pulled back and it was soooo painful. All i could do was do a twist out or caruso and have my hair look crazy.

This sounds like an allergic reaction to me. The same thing happened to me when I used a growth stimulant, HUGE flakes just peeled right up from my scalp and hair line. The best thing to do is to wash your hair immediately. Remove all of the product from your hair and scalp and do not use it again. Take a benedryl if needed (because it helps with allergic reactions) but they make me sleepy too.

Lastly baby your scalp and do not reapply the product. It doesn't sound like sunburn alone to me. The other thing it could be is overly dry scalp that is peeling. I hope it works out for you.

Thank you so much ladies. It seems that the general consensus is to wash all the product out of my hair and try some aloe vera.

I do however agree with Lana. Since I used a new product at the same time I got the sunburn, it's hard to tell if it's just the sunburn alone that's causing this. I think I will chill on that product for a minute.

Thanks ladies :)!

lana said:
This sounds like an allergic reaction to me. The same thing happened to me when I used a growth stimulant, HUGE flakes just peeled right up from my scalp and hair line. The best thing to do is to wash your hair immediately. Remove all of the product from your hair and scalp and do not use it again. Take a benedryl if needed (because it helps with allergic reactions) but they make me sleepy too.

Lastly baby your scalp and do not reapply the product. It doesn't sound like sunburn alone to me. The other thing it could be is overly dry scalp that is peeling. I hope it works out for you.

Same here. Growth stimulant made my neck horrific (tight, dry, flaky, itchy), as well as my scalp, but it started at my neck and worked its way around my entire hairline- it was the worst at the front and nape of my neck. I had to go to the derm and get a spray steroid- I thought I had eczema but turns out it was dermatitis. Lasted for 2 weeks til i finally had to make an appt because it was intolerable. I had tried every combo before that and nothing worked- oils, aloe vera gel, T-Gel shampoo, castor oil helped but it didnt stop the flake production.

Last edited:
Back