Thining and Balding Options

ladybugpurple

I need some help. I work in a professional office and my appearance is vital. I am 11 weeks post relaxer and based on the condition of my hair, I won't be relaxing for a while - until my hair is healthier. Currently, I am :sad: thining ( I can see my scalp) in the front and top of my head. I am in the process of finding a dermatologist who specializes in AA hair. But in the meantime what can I do with my hair that won't increase the damage? A wig, a weave? I don't know what to look for or the right questions to ask.

First what is your regimen? How are you wearing your hair? Is there anything that is pulling or putting tension on your hair? Do you have a medical condition or are you taking any medication that could cause the hair loss?

Here's a thread where a member here grew out her bald spot with essential oils.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=39645

As far weaves and wigs just be careful that they do not put tension on your hair because that can cause thinning. If you use a wig take out the combs in the wig and use bobby pins instead.

Hi locabouthair,
Thank you for your response.I pre poo with brahmi amla oil under a plastic cap followed by an indian herb rinse of amla and shikakai, a co-poo , dc, rinse, leave-in with cantu shea butter leave-in. I do this every Wednesday and Sunday. I use the coconut oil on my NG every night and EO with peppermint in th etop and crown of my head. I was doing a roller set, but have switched to air dry loose or twisted or knots wrapped in satin cap and towel over night.
No Medical condition that I know of. I had hysterectomy three years ago.
Because of the short length, I usually wear my hair in the roller set or under crocheted caps or pinned up in horse-shoe type bun.
There is a lot of stress in my life due to finances - that is why I am doing my own hair.
I am still learning what works best for my hair. I think I need more moisturizing products. Most of my products are protein based, based on the ingredients.

Do you use a carrier oil with the EO because just applying it straight to your scalp may be too concentrated for you.

I am sorry OP, but I feel your pain. I have thinning edges and nape area which in turn makes my hair look thin. I have learned that texlaxing will give your hair the image of a fuller look. Also watch ponies, braids, weaves(that is y I am thin) anything that will pull the hair. Watch out for your collars n scrafs (what broke my nape area out). I use MTG which has been a God send for me. It has made my hair thicker. I also notice that when I colored my hair lighter it also took away from the illusion of thicker hair.

U can also try to only relax ur edges and nape area less often. I am trying to only relax these areas mayb 2x a year as to let them grow. I will in turn use paul mitchell's pomade to lay it down. The nape no ne will c.

Dont rub or massage these areas to much or to hard. Gre the blood circulating with exercise or holding your head off the bed.

Hope this helps. I will no long do my own relaxers but go to the salon as I always underprocess.

ladybug, do you still have your ovaries? If not, the upset in hormones and menopause can definitely contribute to hair thinning. Stress of course, also plays a role. My suggestion? See a dermatologist, but don't neglect to see an gynecologist who specializes in menopause and hormone imbalances. The solution may not be topical, but internal. You may need to make some adjustments to your diet (e.g. eating soybeans, lots of fruits and vegetables and wheat germ for the B vitamins). HTH

Back