The no-product routine

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I know a lot of natural women who have incorporated this routine in their hair care. A former member here named browneyedgirl (she has a fotki album if you are interested) has some purty, thick, long natural hair and she has found peace with using no additional products, ie styling aids, oils after washing, etc. At first I was hesistant in trying this, since I know my hair seems to loves it some oil,but I gave it a try. I washed my hair with ACV and then I conditioned with Herbals Gate Jojoba conditioner (smells like baby powder!). I left about 25% of the conditioner in my hair. I proceede to style my hair in medium sized twists. For some reason, my hair's shrinkage amount decreased noticeably. My hair was so fluffy for my twistout, full of body and it didn't look dull. I think I will do this again,but next time, I am gonna do a hot oil treatment with my conditioner washes, just because I am so used to having oil on my hair. Has anyone tried this?

I'm planning to do this in the furture. I use loads of products now, I'm just thinking that I could cut my products down to:

1 conditioner
1 light protein conditioner
1 heavy protein conditioner
1 gentle poo
1 clarifying poo

I'm juggling with deciding about the oil. My hair likes oil too much :)

Good luck trying out the new regimen!

You know Porsche I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. I know that sometimes when I use V05 Extra Body conditioner (it is very light) as a styling aid my curls stay moist all day, however I like the permentant hold of alcohol-free gel even. I have considerably dropped the amount of products that I used to use by joining the K.I.S.S. Challange which has helped me tremendously. :)

I'm gonna try going without gel and see how my hair does for the day. :yep:

My regimen is almost no product. I wash, condition and moisturize with shea butter. THAT'S IT.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to be putting a million different products in my hair.

MizAvalon said:
My regimen is almost no product. I wash, condition and moisturize with shea butter. THAT'S IT.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to be putting a million different products in my hair.

See this is exactly where I need to be.:)

MizAvalon have you noticed that sometimes less is actually more? I'm really just now discovering that a little bit does go a long way with any hair product. :)

ETA: How do you wash, condition and moisturize with shea butter? I'd love to know.

Last edited:
I do a modified version of this...shampoo, deep condition, then leave a little regular conditioner in my hair. I might put oil just on the ends throughout the week.
My blowouts/presses come out silkier, lighter, and last longer with ZERO product. I just protect it by doing a deep conditioner first.

MizAvalon said:

How do you wash your hair with shea butter?

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I know a lot of natural women who have incorporated this routine in their hair care. A former member here named browneyedgirl (she has a fotki album if you are interested) has some purty, thick, long natural hair and she has found peace with using no additional products, ie styling aids, oils after washing, etc.

Hmmm...I can't seem to find her album, I did a search with no luck. I'd love to view it, could you send me the link Bubln? :)

Cinnabuns said:
See this is exactly where I need to be.:)

MizAvalon have you noticed that sometimes less is actually more? I'm really just now discovering that a little bit does go a long way with any hair product. :)

ETA: How do you wash, condition and moisturize with shea butter? I'd love to know.

Cinnabuns, yes girl! Less IS more. I used to use a lot more and for me all that stuff just isn't necessary.

I wash with shampoo, condition with conditioner, and moisturize with shea butter.

I've been doing the low/no-product thing for over 2 months now. There was a group/challenge thing that was trying to get started (here) but people haven't really checked in for a while/are sorta MIA.

I prefer not using anything after washing my hair, although when the air starts to get drier I'll probably go back to using my Giovanni leave-in :yep: Right now I just wash, rub a little Hairever on my edges/scalp, and call it a day.

I have an oil/water mix (made with surge lotion motion #9) that I use whenever I need to detangle or dampen my hair or whatever. Otherwise I don't routinely put anything else on my hair.

I have tried this before. My hair sometimes dries so hard after a low poo wash. I like to use a bit of shea. What I did do a few days ago was a pre-poo deep conditioner tx, that had coconut oil in it. When I was done w/ everything, I still had a bit of the coconut residue in my hair. I twisted it up. It turned out nice. I guess that I just ilke to put stuff in my hihair, b/c when I do my conditioner washes, I don't have to put anything else in it. I just twist and let it dry. I will have to give this another shot. I do notice that in the looser texture sections of my hair, it responds to products differently then the tightly coiled sections. I tell ya, every year my hair seems to change or do something different as it grows. Sometimes I just wish it would decide what it would like to do! :)

Well I tried the no-product routine for about 15 years...LOL. From 0-15 years of age. My observations: less shrinkage, less shine, more body/fluff. The only product I used was shampoo.

Right now I only use shampoo (about every 2 weeks), conditioner, olive oil and carrot oil cream.

I tried this 2 times and my hair hates it, and actually tangles more...I wish my hair would thrive without products but it doesn't.

Back