The NEW Prayer of Jabez--30 Day Challenge!

DonnaDi31Proverbi

People expressed interest in starting the Prayer of Jabez Challenge again recently. I hope we can start praying the prayer that Jabez prayed each day or night for the next 30 days, starting Friday, May 23, 2008 and ending June 23, 2008. This will give people time to see the thread, hopefully.

1 Chronicles 4:9-10 -- The Prayer of Jabez

9And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.

10And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

In reference to the original thread:

It is a four part petition
  1. "bless me indeed" (that is, pour out every bit of blessing that You have intended for me);
  2. "expand my territory" (that is, take my ministry, business, and so forth and give me new opportunities to do big things for You);
  3. "may your hand be with me" (that is, use Your power to sustain these blessings); and
  4. "keep me from evil" (that is, remove temptations from me so that I will not sin).
Anybody want to go on this prayer fast with me? At the end of 30 days perhaps we could come back and testify?

List of Participants (You May Join at Anytime!)
DonnaDi31Proverbi
msshortysweets
kayte
SuperNova
mrsjones1
The Savvy Sistah
mrselle
EbonyHairedPrincess
Lov3lyHair
sweetcashew
juju
Blessed2bless
star
birdie
highlyfavored2008
sparkledoll
nikki2229

Last edited:
I wanted to join when I first saw the thread but realized it was a couple of years old and confusing..so thank you for stepping up and starting a new one.
I'm in!

I want in. How do you do the fast? Is it food or something else? Is it 7 days a week or not? And is it all day or part of the day?

I have the Bible study guide of Bruce Wilkerson's prayer of Jabez....it's broken into four week segements......
and if you like ... I can put in the key questions and the concluding prayer to each week..
Let me know...and I will put them in each Friday....

The booklet title is The Prayer of Jabez Bible Study by Bruce Wilkerson ....

Oh I'm in!!!

I've been singing Donald Lawrences' song "Bless Me (prayer of Jabez) for the past few weeks.

I'm ready! Thanks for starting this.

I have the Bible study guide of Bruce Wilkerson's prayer of Jabez....it's broken into four week segements......
and if you like ... I can put in the key questions and the concluding prayer to each week..
Let me know...and I will put them in each Friday....

The booklet title is The Prayer of Jabez Bible Study by Bruce Wilkerson ....

I lost my book and was upset, but this is a good idea, Kayte, and very gracious of you!

I want in. How do you do the fast? Is it food or something else? Is it 7 days a week or not? And is it all day or part of the day?

My understanding from the original thread is that they said the prayer daily. I think she just said "prayer fast" for emphasis sake. I would say though that if some people are led to fast that is great. If you are so inclined, just say so in the thread.

Oh I'm in!!!

I've been singing Donald Lawrences' song "Bless Me (prayer of Jabez) for the past few weeks.

I love that song!

Remember to also keep eachother in mind for increasing strength and increasing faith during this time. I know that God has some GREAT things in store for us!

I lost my book and was upset, but this is a good idea, Kayte, and very gracious of you!

Oh..not at all!..consider it done..:yep: I will start/post early this Friday morning.....tho it's a booklet it's pretty dense so I will post the KEY question(s)each Friday ....& each ending prayer/meditation that concludes each week.....the concluding Thursday......
(btw I have both book and the study guide booklet....but booklet which was purchased at B&N..was like 4.99..it's probly still in print)

My understanding from the original thread is that they said the prayer daily. I think she just said "prayer fast" for emphasis sake. I would say though that if some people are led to fast that is great. If you are so inclined, just say so in the thread.

I'd like to also fast.... from bad carbs,sugars,fast foods,for the thirty days
sticking to fresh vegs,fruit,fish,water,herbal teas only

Originally Posted by The Savvy Sistah
Oh I'm in!!!

I'd like to learn this song as part of my meditation on Jabez

I love that song!

Remember to also keep eachother in mind for increasing strength and increasing faith during this time. I know that God has some GREAT things in store for us!

I agree wholeheartedly .. about praying for/supporting each other

Thank you so much for starting and guiding this healing process....I am so energized and hopeful..bless you all!

I would love to join this 30 day challenge. I'm off work tomorrow so I might swing by Barnes and Noble and see if they still have a copy of the study guide in stock. I'm really excited about this.

Week One
"Oh that you would bless me indeed!"

~~God is more eager to bestow HIS blessings
on us than we are to receive them~~~

Getting Started.
Have you asked God for anything truly impressive lately
You've probably asked HIM to bless the food, bless the kids
bless your day.But when was the last time you asked God for some thing huge--something that would change your life for allof eternity? To pour out HIS lovingkindness on you with such bounty that your heart would fill to overflowing
The first part of the Jabez prayer "Oh, that you would bless me indeed!" asks God to do something supernatural in your life. Because the only way you can live a blessed life is if God acts

When you ask God for what HE longs to give you, amazing things start to happen!

(Questions for each day)
  1. WHAT DO I REALLY BELIEVE ABOUT BLESSING?
  2. WHAT DOES GOD'S BLESSINGS MEAN?
  3. WHO ELSE IN THE BIBLE WAS EXTRAORDINARILY BLESSED?
  4. HOW DO I MAXIMIZE GOD'S BLESSINGS ?
  5. HOW DO I RECEVIE GOD'S BLESSINGS IN MY LIFE?
  6. WHAT WOULD MY LIFE LOOK LIKE IF I ASKED FOR BLESSING>
  7. WHAT IS KEEPING ME FROM BREAKING THROUGH TO THE BLESSED LIFE?
SUGGESTED SCRIPTURES

Psalm 103
Proverbs 10:22
James 1:16-17
Ephesians 1:4-14 write down some spiritual blessings Paul mentions

God's desire to bless
1 Corinthians2:9
Romans 8:28-30
Romans 2:4
James 1:17

thanks Kayte. I appreciate the weekly breakdown. My financial outlook is empty until I start this new Job next month so thanks for this breakdown.

I will try to get it from the Library.

Last edited:
#3 WHO ELSE IN THE BIBLE WAS EXTRAORDINARILY BLESSED?

I wanted to answer this question because I need to remind my self God's blessings are as miraculous now as then

Mary Mother of Jesus
Naomi
Hannah
Ruth
David
Solomon
Joshua
Caleb

Last night God woke me up at around 2:43 to study this portion of the prayer. I read all the scriptures and shed some cleansing tears. The one scripture that stood out the most to me was Romans 2:4 which says,

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?(KJV)

He has been very kind and patient, waiting for you to change, but you think nothing of his kindness. Perhaps you do not understand that God is kind to you so you will change your hearts and lives. (NCV)

Emphasis mine

These scriptures gave me a whole new outlook on the mercy and grace of God. He does it because he wants us to change, He doesn't wait for us to change in order to be kind to us. It is his goodness that leads the way by example so that we can repent and be who he created us to be. He gives to us first, even before we believe and have faith in him, he gives his kindness and goodness.

Question 1: What do I really believe about blessing?

Through this time spent with God last night, I came to the conclusion that while I know the doctrine of blessings and that they are God's choice and he wants to bless us, I still had a worldly twisted perception that maybe if i did something to reciprocate God's blessings, then God would bless me more abundantly. There is nothing, other than my own self and my heart, that I can give God that would be close to equivalent to the blessings that he gives me daily.

Last edited:
#3 WHO ELSE IN THE BIBLE WAS EXTRAORDINARILY BLESSED?

I wanted to answer this question because I need to remind my self God's blessings are as miraculous now as then

Mary Mother of Jesus
Naomi
Hannah
Ruth
David
Solomon
Joshua
Caleb

I thought of this question last night and thought of

Joseph (in Genesis)
Job
Elizabeth (Mary's cousin)

Kayte, I forgot to say thank you for the scriptures and the outline for this week.

I've been so excited about this that my mother went and bought the book (The Prayer of Jabez) again for me.

It feels good when you get so excited about something that it spreads to other people.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week.

Last night God woke me up at around 2:43 to study this portion of the prayer. I read all the scriptures and shed some cleansing tears. The one scripture that stood out the most to me was Romans 2:4 which says,

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?(KJV)

He has been very kind and patient, waiting for you to change, but you think nothing of his kindness. Perhaps you do not understand that God is kind to you so you will change your hearts and lives. (NCV)

Emphasis mine

These scriptures gave me a whole new outlook on the mercy and grace of God. He does it because he wants us to change, He doesn't wait for us to change in order to be kind to us. It is his goodness that leads the way by example so that we can repent and be who he created us to be. He gives to us first, even before we believe and have faith in him, he gives his kindness and goodness.

Thank you Jesus for Your guiding Spirit. He is always confirming His truth! I just read a very deep lesson on what repentance really means. This just brought it back around and you don't even know how I needed this! Praise God!

My New Start in the Blessed Life
To close this study on blessing,pray the following prayer aloud together.
Then pray it on your own every day in the coming week

:Rose:​

My Prayer for Blessing
Dear Lord
I want every single blessing
that You would love to give to me
Forgive me for not desiring these enough to ask for them
Please open Your heart and be gracious to me
You are good and everything You do is good So let me experience You today
in all of Your abundant loving kindness
Touch my life in ways that are very personal
so that I dont miss Your finger prints
Bless me Lord, I pray __Bless me indeed!
And I will praise You, from whom
all blessings flow.
Amen

God be merciful to us and cause His face to shine upon us,
That Your way may be known on earth. Your salvation
among all the nations
Psalm 67:1-2

Last edited:
Just checking in!
btw...my pleasure to help out the Jabez challenge that the OP wisely put back into action :) .....and it helps me...so thank you all for graciously allowing me to enter in the devotions and prayers

I have been saying the Jabez everyday but not aloud..I'd like to that add that commitment for the next week...........
and I think it would be totally AWESOME if we could figure a time to be at our computers and log in and on the Christian site ...do an online role call and then collectively say the above prayer Together as suggested

...I know we have different time zones and schedules but if we could somehow coordinate that....how powerful would that be :)

bliss........
xoxo

WEEK TWO

"OH,THAT YOU WOULD ENLARGE MY TERRITORY!"
Expect great things
from God
Attempt great things
for God
William Carey

BORN FOR MORE
If your circumstances often seem ordinary and your horizons small, you're going to love the next part of the Jabez prayer.
For his second request,Jabez pleaded for more territory.With more influence and mroe responsibilty,Jabez could make a greater mark for the God of Israel.But he was stuck on a tiny patch of opportunity.
So he asked for more.
As you enjoy more and more of God's blessings in your life,your heart will overflow,touching more and more people for Him.Most people live in a passive reactive mode;Jabez lived in a healthy proactive mode.
Jabez stepped forward and boldy asked God to enlarge his borders and extend his influence.
Do you believe that God wants you to have more and do more for Him?
I do.But asking for a larger life goes far beyond the size of your property,as you 're about to find out.
  1. Am I A BOUNDARY BUSTER?" Many Christians aren't sure that they are called to be a strategic part of what God is doing in the World.In quiet moments of introspection they wonder if maybe they were born benchwarmers instead of boundary busters.A few know that God has called them to much more. If benchwarmers bcame convinced that they were boundary busters how would it change their lives?​
  2. WHAT DOES TERRITORY MEAN_ AND WHAT IS MINE? Depending on the Bible version the word territory may also be translated as borders or coast. In Jabez's time the more land you had, the more provisions, security, and influence you enjoyed. I believed that Jabez desired to enlarge because as an honorable man he wanted more opportunity to make a mark for God.In the same way God blesses us for a purpose,He is ready to expand our territory for a purpose-so we will have more influence for Him​
  3. WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT TAKING TERRITORY FOR GOD?Dueteronomy 1:8​
  4. HOW COULD GOD WORK THROUGH ME TO REACH OTHERS?God has plans to help you reach across boundary lines and touch lives for Him. I call them Jabez Appointments. They occur when you respond to what seems to be a Divinely arranged appointment and you invite God to act. Often your appointment starts with a simple question...How may I help you?​
  5. WHAT WOULD MY LIFE LOOK LIKE IF GOD ENLARGED MY BORDERS?
  6. WHAT KEEPS ME FROM REACHING FOR MORE TERRITORY?

Back