The ends of my two strand twists...

DreamLife

just never look right! I wash my hair, and twist with conditioner, a little gel and olive oil, and by the next couple days, some of the ends are funky looking, some are straight, some are curled and look nice, and a couple are unraveling. I'm newly natural and I know all the relaxed ends are off so its not that. What am I doing wrong?

the conditioner may be too heavy. some conditioners just arent meant to be left in. or the gel could be eating up your ends. or maybe you need a trim.
are you natural?
when i was relaxed my ends looked nasty when i tried to make braids/twists stay.

What is your hair type? Maybe try twisting with less product, I usually don't need all that when I install twists. Wash, deep condition and mositurize with, say, shea butter and then twist.

I second what Ceecy29 said. Use less product. Whe I was natural I would twist with Carols daughter maguerits magic and that was it or a shea butter cocunut oil mixture. HTH

Make sure ur ends are very damp when u twist---I use Rusk Deep Brillance and water for my twist--great results everytime.

The ends have to be very damp so that you can "set" the coil, I twist my hair until the ends are corkscrewed..let me see if i can take some pics for examples.

somebody once told me to roll the ends at night with the perm rod rollers and that should tame the ends from frizz...It worked

OP you're not doing anything wrong. When I do my twists, the ends just seem to have no "formula", but I tend to wet them in water (usually a CW or an ACV rinse dunk) right after doing coz I don't mind the shrinkage and I love how they puff up when they get wet and hang straight from the weight of the water. The shrinkage from the water tends to cause the ends to shrink up too and become coils. Some unraveling my happen--someone once called it "a twist having two legs"--and if that happens, I retwist as far as I can go and then press the "legs" together as I roll the twist between my fingers so I get one single end.

You can see the difference that wetting them and letting them drip dry makes here:
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

These are the two "legs" I was talking about:
enstylingfollowsnaturalpattern-vi.jpg

And here's a close up of how the ends look and tend to stay even with multiple washes:
Coilsattheendsoftwists-vi.jpg

I think the size of the twists also makes a difference since they are about as small as my hair coils are so that I'm not really changing the shape too much. But even if they were not so small, you can still make the twist end like that by twisting to the very end and wetting, then rolling in fingers. Notice the twists in the pic below aren't as skinny as the ones in the pic above but the ends still stay pointed from pressing the "legs" together and rolling between fingers. I had wet my hair here and let it drip dry, hence the hanging down pattern all round:
TwistsSeptember42008-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much ladies! I think I need to stick with one product when twisting. I think all the products are weighing my hair down. My hair type is 4a/4b. The front and sides are 4a, the back is 4b.

Thanks Nonie for the pics, and mini tutorial! I'm going to try to wet the ends next time.

Last edited:
I don't use a lot of product on my twists either and the ends still look funky at times, usually on the first two days after twisting my hair. I can relate. I think mine is due to my hair being slightly heat trained, but spraying the ends with a moisturizing spray (I use African Royale BRX Spray) helps curl/kink up my ends to be more uniform. Also putting perm rods on the ends helps the ends of my twists as well.

Back