The Big Chop

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
As you all know my daughter has been transitioning for over a year now. She is at the point where she is loving her natural hair and she loves all the waves and curls.

Just on a whim I talked to her about possibly cutting off her relaxed ends and she said "Mommy, just go ahead a cut it, I want to be all natural now!"

I was sooooo suprised and elated. Of course I had to go into a big sphill about how long its going to be and how much I will cut. I had to tell her about shrinkage and that her hair will look really short etc. I went on and on and she just stopped me and said "just cut it Mommy" I am so happy.

Only thing is, I know nothing about big chopping. How do I go about doing it??

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated!!

Oh yeah, I need to get my hands on some curly pudding too!!

Noboby would cut mine for me three weeks ago, so I chopped it off myself. I just cut it down to the new-growth/really straight ends. Tonite I will texturize. Good Luck.

latia is right cut to were you see difference between the textures, divide the hair into four sections. do cuting in horizontal sections about 1inch section,and holding straight out from the head and cut the hair.

i had my hair in twists they day i decided to big chop. all i did was untwist my hair and wet the section so i could clearly see the line of demarcation and just cut it there with a pair of brand new, sharp sheers. i went twist by twist doing this so i could make sure i didn't mess up. as long as you can clearly see where the natural hair and relaxed ends meet you should be fine.

Your daughter's story is very refreshing :D

Cut it while its wet. Put some conditioner in it and cut off the straight ends. After you know what you're working with you can even it up.

I agree cut it while the hair is wet, i notice with my hair when it's dry it's harder to tell where my new growth end, but when its wet my perm ends looks extremely stringy compared to my new growth, so i can tell the difference.

Oh DSD give that little girl of yours a big ol' kiss:kiss: from me. I am so proud of her. I'm transitioning my little one, we're only 4 months into the process though, and how I hope she too utters those words, "Just cut it mommy," sooner than later. Don't worry, you'll do just fine with cutting. And if you are really nervous maybe do two or three cuts over several weekends till you get all of the relaxed ends off. Good luck!:)

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice!! I am not sure when I will do it. We have a busy week ahead of use and I may have to wait until next week. I am so anxious.

Ok, so I should cut it while wet and do it in sections.

@ Hopeful, Thanks!! She is one brave little soul. I do think I will cut it all off at once just to get it over with!!

Please tell her "congratualtions" from us!!! It almost made me tear up to read this. Such a young person embracing their natural hair. I think us older folks take it too seriously...I love her attitude..."Just cut it, I want to be all natural now."

Too precious.

pookeylou said:
Please tell her "congratualtions" from us!!! It almost made me tear up to read this. Such a young person embracing their natural hair. I think us older folks take it too seriously...I love her attitude..."Just cut it, I want to be all natural now."

Too precious.
Will do!! I was very shocked myself. Now I have to find the time to do it!

I cut mines by looking at the line of demarcation. After a few months I got a professional trim to even my hair out. Im so happy that your daughter is excited about embracing her natural hair "NOW" lol. How cute. We wish her luck!! :clap:

Ayeshia said:
I cut mines by looking at the line of demarcation. After a few months I got a professional trim to even my hair out. Im so happy that your daughter is excited about embracing her natural hair "NOW" lol. How cute. We wish her luck!! :clap:
Thanks!! I will be doing it this afternoon. :bouncegre

DSD, I wanted to respond yesterday but seeing as how I hadn't done it, I couldn't tell you anything constructive...lol. So yeah, definitely wet it, that was very helpful. Good luck with your daughter's chop later, if she feels anything like I do now, she won't sleep much tonight....lol.

nurseN98 said:
DSD, I wanted to respond yesterday but seeing as how I hadn't done it, I couldn't tell you anything constructive...lol. So yeah, definitely wet it, that was very helpful. Good luck with your daughter's chop later, if she feels anything like I do now, she won't sleep much tonight....lol.
Thanks!!

Back