Texturizing methods... more haters.

imani97

I was talking to my mother today and told her that I was thinking of texturizing my hair using Great Beginnings kids relaxer and she told me that it wouldn't work because I have hair like hers, nappy. :mad: Now, my hair is 4A, but I have seen that with proper care, no matter what the texture it is hair can still be beautiful and manageable. So anyway, my question is... can I use a kid's relaxer to texturize my new growth? If so, how long should I let it sit? I already have the relaxer and I don't want to waste my money, but I suppose if I can't use it I'll offer it up on the hair product exchange board. I have been able to handle my new growth thus far (I'm 10 weeks + don't really remember the exact date I last relaxed :( ) but it is becoming difficult and I think that my hair breaks more in the front when I need a relaxer. Thanks for you help as always. I've been hesitant in posting b/c I don't want to bother anyone, but I figure that there is no need to suffer in silence. The goal is to have healthier hair which at times requires asking questions. :p

You can "texturize" with your normal relaxer.....its just purposely underprocessing the hair.

**Don't be hesitant.

I'm no guru on texturizers but I'll see if I can find some threads.

You can texturize the new growth only, but just be prepared to deal with two textures (relaxed and texturized). You can't just run your comb/brush thru your hair without breakage.

Thanks ladies, but I guess I need to be more specific. I am wondering if a kid's relaxer is too mild for my 4A hair. I know that there have been ladies on here who have used Great Beginnings kid's relaxer, but I don't know what their hair texture was. I'm trying to avoid having to buy another relaxer if I already have this one. :)

Oh, I have used Motions Mild on my hair for about 8 minutes and it made my 4a hair wavy. I don't have experience with a kids relaxer. But don't be fooled just because it says "kids." It has the same active ingredients.

Nobody can tell you what will be too mild (or too strong) for your hair. You need to determine that for yourself. Everyone's hair is different. In fact, your hair may, and probably does, have different textures throughout your head. I, and anyone else, could tell you what we do to texturize our hair, but that is essentially meaningless to you because your hair is different. i.e. The previous poster indicated that they used Motions mild for 8 minutes and ended up with wavy hair. 8 minutes would do nothing to my hair. I have been leaving Motions on for 25 minutes and dividing my hair into 6 sections, so that each section gets its full 25 minutes. Also, what you consider to be texturized may not be what someone else tries to achieve when they texturize. Therefore, my suggestion is to do a strand test on the various textures of your own head to determine what strength and timing is right for you.

Please don't take what I said the wrong way. I'm just saying this based on my experience with my hair and reading/responding to many posts about texturizers on this forum.

Last edited:
Thanks curly. One last question... when you section your hair off and texturize a section, how do you rinse it out without getting the rest of your hair wet? Thanks.

ha ha...that's a tricky one. :) The way that I have been sectioning is this...

Each side is a section.....and the rest of my hair from the hairline in front to the nape is divided into 4 sections.

Section #1 = nape
Section #2 = mid back
Section #3 = top/back
Section #4 & 5 = left and right sides
Section #6 = top

The sections are basically based on the change in my hair texture. So, I put a plastic cap from ear to ear, plus it covers the top/back section, which is the third section up from the nape. Bottom cap covers sections 3-6 from left to right. I use clips or bobby pins to secure the cap to the perimeter/part area of these sections, which have been loosely plaited up or pinned.

I put another cap on, which covers the rest of my head, except the nape area, which is where I start applying the relaxer. Top cap covers sections #2-6 front to back.

I apply and rinse the nape (section #1) when I'm done.

After that, I move the top plastic cap up to reveal the next lowest section (#2).

After I do that, I have two sections left (#3 & #6), plus the sides.

I remove the top plastic cap, so that the one covering my head left to right.... from ear to ear (and top/back) is the only cap on.

I either remove one side and do that one or I remove both sides and leave this cap on just covering the top (#6) and top/back (#3).

After doing the sides, I do the top/back (#3).

Then I do the top (#6) section which includes the front hairline area.

This completes the application and rinsing. I then apply the Motions Silk Protein conditioner, then rinse, and shampoo. I always jump in the shower to rinse because I can get better results than using a sink or the tub faucet. I've only done it this way a couple of times and it can take a good 2 1/2+ hours. It's worth it to me though. I texturize every 3 months.

I changed how I do it because I switched relaxer strengths and I am giving myself a new, more stretched out curl than I had before. So, I needed more time to comb the relaxer through. Thus, the multiple sections and reduced relaxer strength.

:lol: This is probably more than you wanted to know. :lol:

edited: changed placement of caps..... :)

Last edited:
Curly, I knew I'd find you in here! I have nothing to add, that was a great response! :up:

Good luck w/texturizing your hair, be sure to let us know how it turns out!

I agree w/Curly 100%

The only other thing I will add is don't be fooled by a "kiddie" relaxer. Those things will tear your head up just as bad as regular ones if you don't use it right. Once my mom used PCJ for kids because she had been having trouble w/her hair. Her hair came out horribly, it was barely in for 10 minutes and her hair ended up being very overprocessed.

I would never trust a professional to texturize my hair, unless I went to Curve salon. I'd probably be willing to trust them. If I saw someone on the street with texturized hair that I liked, I'd ask who they went to and go from there. If you don't have experience with successfully relaxing your own hair, texturizing your own may not be the best choice. It can be tricky. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses ladies. I've been relaxing my hair for years so I think that I can try texturizing on my own. The worst that could happen, barring baldness) is that my hair is straight. No biggy. I don't know that I have enough new growth yet. I have about an inch but while that has been enough when I wanted bone straight hair, I think that it would be easier if I had longer new growth. We'll see how long I can stand this mess on my head. Maybe I'll have to do Dominican blowouts until I have enough new growth.

I love pcj lye for texturizing.

I have some thick, NAPPY hair too, so don't think for a second that it won't work.

There is no difference between kiddie and adult relaxers... it's just marketing imo. Think about it, is a litlle girl's 4b hair any less kinky or softer than an adult's 4b hair (not talking aboyt the natural variations in different people's hair, just in general)? They both need around the same strength relaxer... the relaxers both have the same ingredients...

Back