Texturizers....HELP!

Mecca

I haven't permed in about five months and I am interested in texturizing my hair to loosen up the curl pattern a little. I've been calling around to various salons and I can't find anyone who applies texturizers so I think I'm stuck with applying one myself. Does anyone have any advice on what brand I should get? How long should I keep it in? How often should I do a touch up?...etc. I don't know as much as I should about them but I really want to try one out.

You can just use a lye relaxer for that. All of the texturizer kits I've ever seen are no-lye. If you don't mind no lye, then that would be Ok to use. They are mild relaxers. If you don't know how long to leave it on, perhaps you should do a strand test first. One person's time may not work for another. Something else to think about is that different parts of your hair may need a different amount of time or a different strength (if you're going to use a relaxer) than other parts.

Some people are mixing conditioner or oils with their relaxer to slow the process down, put that doesn't work for me. Others just use a MILD relaxer and leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes. I think texturizing is trickier than relaxing the hair straight. I really think you should do a strand test to find out how long you need to leave it on various parts of your hair to get the look you're after.

I use a Revlon Realistic Regular strength LYE relaxer. It takes me 5 minutes to apply it and I leave it on for 15 additional minutes. I touch-up every 3-5 months.

Thanks. Maybe this is my clue to leave it alone. I'm scared to apply a relaxer because I am guilty of overprocessing, overlapping perms etc and I'm scared I'm going to go back into my old ways. Darn!

If you take care to do things to prevent overprocessing, you should be Ok. For instance, if you don't relax as often, that will cut down on the chance of overlapping. Also, you can apply oil to the hair that was previously relaxed to slow down the process if relaxer creme comes in contact with it. I think the biggest thing is not relaxing as often.

If you're texturizing your hair, underprocessing won't be as noticeable, but that will depend on the amount of curl you leave. I can barely tell the difference between my new growth and my texturized hair unless I touch them to feel that the new growth is a little more tightly curled.

Wow 5 minutes to apply....impressive! it takes me about 10-12...by the time i'm done its time to rinse
ohwell.gif

Check out the Hennaphiliacs thread and/or straighten hair naturally thread. If you just want to loosen your curls a little you may want to consider the suggestions posted there.

Back