Texturizer

Jada

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering is it possible to go from a texturizer to a full relaxer??? and if it is possible how would I go about it.

Jada said:
Hi Ladies,

Just wondering is it possible to go from a texturizer to a full relaxer??? and if it is possible how would I go about it.

It's possible, just keep the relaxer on the hair for a longer period of time than you would a texturizer. Smooth out chemical with fingers until you get the desired straightness that you want. THen rinse, neutralize and deep treat. I hope this helps.

So basicly it's all a matter of processing time...Yes that information was helpful thanks so much!

Jada said:
So basicly it's all a matter of processing time...Yes that information was helpful thanks so much!

Or maybe you could try using a regular strength relaxer/texturizer instead of mild and see how that works for you.

Would it consist of pulling the relaxer thru out the hair or just at the new growth?

You would have to pull the relaxer through your whole hair but i would suggested you get a professional to do it as it maybe difficult to get even processing all around.

Thanks for asking this question Jada. I'm thinking about stopping texturizing and going back to a relaxer. I wear my hair straight most of the time anyway because I just can't seem to master the twistout or braidout. If you do decide to it let me know how it turns out.

Thank you ladies for the advice you guys are always on time...and Gradygirl I will definately let you know if I do decide to go this route..my daughter has relaxed hair and she just washes and conditions it and she gets an instant curly look very similar to mine but, I like the way if she wants to wear it straight it's not such a difficult chore for her as it is for me when I just want to straighten my hair to see my progress.

Ok...dumb question...what's the difference b/t texturizer, relaxer, perm ...
and then you see the things that say no lye...what are the using then?
And then I hear one girl talking to another in the BSS once, and she asked her if she had a perm, and the other girl said..no "I have a gentile??(sp)?..
Just wondering?

Please keep us updated on how your relaxer goes. I am also thinking of doing the same thing. One of the ladies mentioned that she thinks it should be done professionally. That makes me sad considering I have had HORRIBLE experiences with hair dressers. I have had to cut my hair completely off TWICE after them destroying my hair!:mad: :mad: Went to them with natural hair and it was ruined in less than a years time. :mad: :mad: BOTH TIMES!!! Either major breakage or big clumps of hair missing due to them not rinsing the chemical out in a certain area. It's been traumatic to say the least!

I want so badly to be able to do my own hair. I just can't go through a BC again. :(

I hear you S Terry I will keep you guys posted..I do my own hair it is texturized at the moment I had it done professionally by a Dominican stylist who seemed very reluctant to give me any instruction as to how to maintain it, I also had to go back to her 5 days later due to it being underprocessed (this was her recommendation) it came out good no damage that was about 3 months ago and my hair is doing quite well...I conditioner wash daily with Mane and Tail products and I twist it up and put on my wig and go this has been really beneficial for my hair due to it being so fine...that's why I am so confused I am really considering just sticking with the texturizer and continue to do my hair myself...I do my own texturizer and so far no problems the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards just leaving things the way they are and try to be patient while it grows out.

Jada, how texturized are you? Do you have any pics? I too want to occasionally rock straight styles, and more loose wash and goes. I love how the texturizer has left a lot of the strength in my hair. Hardly any breakage, but I look at straight hair with longing! LOL

brownsugar9999 said:
And then I hear one girl talking to another in the BSS once, and she asked her if she had a perm, and the other girl said..no "I have a gentile??(sp)?..
Just wondering?

Not a dumb question at all! A texturizer is simply a relaxer left on the hair for a shorter period of time. A texturizer loosens your natural curl pattern, you can use a regular ole' box perm or lye or no-lye relaxer and texturize your hair. I hope this makes sense, just leave a relaxer on your hair for a short period of time, it loosens your curls so that you have a curl/wavy look. If you want your hair super straight then just leave the relaxer on the hair for a longer time. A perm in my opinion is a either a old term used to describe relaxers because relaxers do permanently straigthen your hair or it could be a wave new vouz (spelled wrong) which uses thioglyocolate (SP) or a chemical similar to Jherri Curls chemical. It restructurizes your curl so that it is looser...this process is the most drying tho. I HTH!

Just wondering?

Okay here is a quick run down of each term (to the best of my "researched" knowledge)

relaxer = (exactly what the name insinuates) it relaxes the curl pattern, straighter hair.

perm = chemical used to add curls to straight hair

texturizer = chemical used to 'loosen' curl patterns in hair

no-lye relaxers/texturizers = contain a key ingredient called calcium hydroxide

lye = contain sodium hydroxide

Hope this helps!!! Blessings on your hair care journey!

Back