Texturizer AND "Perm": Double Process good idea?

girlyprincess23

Okay this might be long but i REALLY need the advice. Okay so over the holidays i visited my cousin and his SO. She's a hairstylist and also caucasian (if that matters). Now we were talking about my hair and i had expressed to her that i was upset because i wanted my hair to be texturized to retain some of the curl just looser than it is in its natural state. So i showed her what the stylist (and myself) did (how it's straight in the front, slightly curly in the middle, and very curly in the back). She said if i wanted permanent curls that would not wash out like a rollerset that i should let her first apply a texturizer type thing that she uses on her caucasian clients called a "vertical" that would loosen up the ng so she could get it around the perm rod and not have it be bumpy and then apply a perm which she also uses mainly on caucasian clients and she assures me that she will watch it and not "fry" my hair and that as long as i take care of it dc it and moisturize and do protein treatments that i should be ok but i am very scared. i realize this is a doube process (didnt have good experience w/ hi-lites over relaxer but also was not taking care of my hair and using daily heat!) i was just wondering what do u ladies think i should do? she is a good stylist and she assured me i will get curls like i want. but she did tell me i would have to use various prodcuts to keep it from getting frizzy. i dont know if i should try or see if this other stylist i was planning on going to in february who came highly recommended could fix my texlax as it grows out

Not a good idea to double process. I think you should wait. I'm paranoid about all things hair. You've got good growth and length. We don't wanna see you posting a thread after the procedure talking about your hair is overprocessed and breaking. I say, if you're not having any problems with the different textures, leave it alone. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Not a good idea to double process. I think you should wait. I'm paranoid about all things hair. You've got good growth and length. We don't wanna see you posting a thread after the procedure talking about your hair is overprocessed and breaking. I say, if you're not having any problems with the different textures, leave it alone. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

yeah i dont want to be posting it either!!!:nono: i think i might just let the recommended stylist texturize the ng right and wait for it to grow in texturized right just to be safe besides those ends are gonna get chopped of in time anyway especially in the front since i LOVE layers. and take the time to learn how to rollerset and sretch right!! plus i love to wear it straight too sometimes i just dont want my hair to fall out!! thanks for the post!!

No matter WHAT the process, double processing is a bad, bad, bad idea - esp. having someone DP you who (from the sounds of your OP) has never done it before.... oh, hell to the nawh.

ETA: Though, rereading your post, it sounds like she plans on giving you a permanant curl, like the white girls get, where they wrap their hair around perm rods? If that's what she's doing, I would be slightly less worried, but I don't know how that sort of perm would turn out.... :lol: If you are brave enough to experiment, you GOTTA take pics!

Can you find out what chemicals are used? This sounds like either a digital perm, the Redken Vertical Curl Reducer or Japanese Thermal Reconditioning.

I don't think the chemicals used in any of these processes are compatible with the relaxer chemicals already used to texturize your hair. I don't know the exact science behind it but I was told that I had to grow out and cut off my texturized ends before I could get a digital perm or Japanese Thermal since my relaxer/texturizer is sodium-hydroxide (lye)-based and the other processes are thio-based.

I'm very interested in hearing more about the process offered by your cousin's SO. Please keep us updated if you find out additional info.

This sounds like a bad idea. First, I would ask her if she's done this on African-American hair before. Second, she's introducing another curl pattern on hair that already has three. Seems like it would make it more complicated for you.

Don't do it!!! If I understood your post correctly, your hair is texturized so it already contains a chemical. The type of chemical the stylist is proposing is NOT compatible with what you've already got. Your hair will fall out if you get the "vertical" or any other thio process.

What is the name of the products and procedures that she uses besides "vertical" ? I just googled "vertical" and "hair" and didn't find anything.

sorry took so long to get back my laptop's been broke!!! but i believe you ladies!!! i think ill just call it off. im not the experimenting type especially since my hair is fast approaching the longest its ever been. no i dont need it falling out!!! i guess it'll be a shame if it actually did work but i think ill just do roller sets for thise curls!! she cant be experimenting on my hair. umh huh:nono: thanx everybody thats what i needed to know!!!

Plus from experience I have to say that getting your hair done by a family member can be a great experience OR a very bad experience, and you still have to see that person at a family dinner while you're sitting there with a jacked up head of hair looking like one of the little rascal's and her sitting across the table smiling at you like "what's wrong?" :lachen:

So I would say, if you try something daring on your hair...don't involve the family. :nono:

It sounds like she wants to give you a body wave. You can use the same perm solution that you use on white hair as you would use on our hair. The chemicals will do major damage. A body wave is the same as a jheri curl, except the rods are larger. I say if you want to make a serious change as in losing length, then go for it, otherwise, don't do it.:perplexed

This sounds like a bad idea. First, I would ask her if she's done this on African-American hair before. Second, she's introducing another curl pattern on hair that already has three. Seems like it would make it more complicated for you.

ditto.....

Plus from experience I have to say that getting your hair done by a family member can be a great experience OR a very bad experience, and you still have to see that person at a family dinner while you're sitting there with a jacked up head of hair looking like one of the little rascal's and her sitting across the table smiling at you like "what's wrong?" :lachen:

So I would say, if you try something daring on your hair...don't involve the family. :nono:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

:grin: You'll get me fired people. I am laughing out so loud at work! :lachen::lachen::lachen::yawn:

Please....Please don't do this...my aunt did something similar to this and her hair went right down the drain....

Don't do it!!! If I understood your post correctly, your hair is texturized so it already contains a chemical. The type of chemical the stylist is proposing is NOT compatible with what you've already got. Your hair will fall out if you get the "vertical" or any other thio process.

What she said!

The two chemicals don't mix - this will break your hair down and dissolve it!!!!!!!!!!

Sodium Hydroxide (Relaxer) and Ammonium Thioglycolate (Curls) do not mix!

DON'T DO IT.

Can you find out what chemicals are used? This sounds like either a digital perm, the Redken Vertical Curl Reducer or Japanese Thermal Reconditioning.

I don't think the chemicals used in any of these processes are compatible with the relaxer chemicals already used to texturize your hair. I don't know the exact science behind it but I was told that I had to grow out and cut off my texturized ends before I could get a digital perm or Japanese Thermal since my relaxer/texturizer is sodium-hydroxide (lye)-based and the other processes are thio-based.

I'm very interested in hearing more about the process offered by your cousin's SO. Please keep us updated if you find out additional info.

hey ravenmerlita, I am sooooo curious about the digital perm since it is an acidic process as apposed to other treatments. How did you like it? how was your hair when wet or dry? I really want to go curly but gtmy tangles make it reallly difficult and cause unecessary breakage sometimes.

Back