Tempoary Relaxer/Texturizer

I heard about this on another message board. There is a product called curlex. It says that it can tempoarily relaxer (I think only texturize on natural type 4 hair), and after a couple weeks your hair reverts back to its natural texture. The website is http://www.xenna.com/curlex.htm

What do you ladies think? Is this too good to be true?

Well I called customer service and the lady I spoke with was really nice. She told me every single ingredient in there. They were: Water, carboxylic acid, msm, xanthan gum, oils (forgot the names), and fragrance.

She also told me how to use it for my natural 4A hair. She says that the main ingredient that actually straightens the hair is carboxylic acid.

I know that caroboxylic acid is a weak acid but I'm not sure whether it is harmful to hair or not.

-Ebony

I heard before of looser curlies 2-3b's using products that would straighten thier hair and then ever wash it would gradually get culier. It had some chemicals in it, but it concept was like a semi-permenant colour (after each shampoo/condition was the color would gradually fade). Honestly if this product works and I was garenteed that after specific # of washes I would 100% get back my natural texture, I would run to buy it.

Hi O.E.,

I called back and the lady I spoke with said that your hair will go back 100% to its original texture. And she also said that you can use it over previously treated hair because it isn't harmful.

I asked her for the pH of the product and she said 2.8. And get this, I did some research and vinegar also has a pH of 2.8 and lemon juice has a pH of 2. That's not bad considering its pH is close to those household products.

Take care,

Ebony

Oh, one other thing.

Always check the pH for yourself because Rio lied about the pH of their product saying it was 3.4 but it was actually MUCH lower than that.

If I were to buy this product, I would first buy some pH paper and make sure that the pH was around 2.8 like they said.

Edited to add: I'm still going to do further research on carboxylic acid and it's safeness.

-Ebony

[ QUOTE ]

I called back and the lady I spoke with said that your hair will go back 100% to its original texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not what the website says. The website says it is cumulative and will retain some of it's straightness after each application. It's under Frequently asked questions, and the question is how long will it last.
Here's the link
http://www.xenna.com/curlex.htm

It will revert back 100% if you don't use it again until it completely reverts back Tracy. If you reapply the product after 2 days, of course it will still have straightness from the first time you used it. It's like using a great conditioner, if you keep using it, your hair will get better and better. But if you use it once and don't use it for a while, your hair will go back to it's original state and you have to start over to improve the condition of your hair.

[ QUOTE ]
It will revert back 100% if you don't use it again until it completely reverts back Tracy. If you reapply the product after 2 days, of course it will still have straightness from the first time you used it. It's like using a great conditioner, if you keep using it, your hair will get better and better. But if you use it once and don't use it for a while, your hair will go back to it's original state and you have to start over to improve the condition of your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but the website is conveying a different message to me. The wording communicates something different to me. But thanks for the input.

Tracy

The site says "Let’s you "go back to natural curl" in 3 to 8 weeks." I thought if you apply it once and let it go out of your hair without re-applying then it you would hope that it goes back.

Maybe I should write them and tell them that the wording on the site can be taken two different ways.

-Ebony

[ QUOTE ]
The site says "Let’s you "go back to natural curl" in 3 to 8 weeks." I thought if you apply it once and let it go out of your hair without re-applying then it you would hope that it goes back.

Maybe I should write them and tell them that the wording on the site can be taken two different ways.

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i saw that, but further down it says:

Curlex has a cumulative effect and hair once treated will retain some of its straightness through the next application.

That is the part that confuses me. The cumulative effect, sounds like you always have a little straightness left over from each application, which implied to me that it doesn't go back 100%. But Like I said, I am unsure.

Tracy

Good point Tracy. I will call again next Monday (they seem to be closed as of now) and ask them to explain that. We don't need any contradiction!

Thanks for the heads up.

-Ebony

[ QUOTE ]
Well I called customer service and the lady I spoke with was really nice. She told me every single ingredient in there. They were: Water, carboxylic acid, msm, xanthan gum, oils (forgot the names), and fragrance.

She also told me how to use it for my natural 4A hair. She says that the main ingredient that actually straightens the hair is carboxylic acid.

I know that caroboxylic acid is a weak acid but I'm not sure whether it is harmful to hair or not.

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, carboxylic acid is not a specific acid, it refers to acid compounds(ie. containing the cooh chemical functional group). The term carboxylic acid is very loose and literally refers to any organic acid. e.g ethanoic acid, formic acid,e.t.c. It is devious of the company to not state the specific acid imo.

Poster: Vivien
up.gif

[ QUOTE ]

FYI, carboxylic acid is not a specific acid, it refers to acid compounds(ie. containing the cooh chemical functional group). The term carboxylic acid is very loose and literally refers to any organic acid. e.g ethanoic acid, formic acid,e.t.c. It is devious of the company to not state the specific acid imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very devious!

Some companies will use any kind of loophole to make a buck off of unsuspecting consumers.
ohwell.gif

That was the other question I was going to ask. Because I learned in chemistry (2 years worth of it!!) when I was predicting chemical reactions that carboxylic acid is just an acid that has COOH attached to it and includes amino acids, lactic acid (found in milk), formic acid found in insect stings (hmmm...), and acetic acid (found in vinegar). For all we know, they can be using the most dangerous one. When I call back on Monday, I'm going to ask what specific acid they are using. They're not going to play me for a fool.

I can tell they are going to get tired of my questions. I agree it is devious not to specify the exact acid being used.

-Ebony

<font color="blue">Hmm....after perusing their site all I have to say is: SUSPECT.

What actually caught MY eye was the "temporary" loosening of hydrogen bonds. Temporary loosening? Relaxers work to straighten hair by breaking the cohesive hydrogen and disulfide bonds in the hair cortex, to loosen the curl pattern. Once those bonds are broken, that's it *snap!*.

How do you temporarily loosen bonds?
confused.gif
. Again, suspect. The only way I know of doing this is when you set wet hair e.g on rollers and let it dry. The H20 from the water lets it dry in this new shape and the hydrogen bonds will reform in this new position. Of course, when your hair gets wet again, those hydrogen bonds will weaken and then reform in their original position.

And the final shove was those awwwful Before an After pics! Suspect. </font>

I am very suspicious of this product because I can't see how hydrogen bonds can remain broken for weeks on end. From my understanding, hydrogen bonds are affected by humidity and there is always some moisture in the air so these bonds should reform pretty quickly -within a week(This is the basic principle behind roller sets). If the hair remains straight(er) for 3-8 weeks, I'm inclined to believe that there is some breaking of the permanent disulfide bonds in the hair. I liken this to a semi permanent color. Though a semi permanent is not as harsh as permanent color, your hair is still partially damaged. As for the acid used, I believe it's formic acid which is the strongest( I think?) of the carboxylic acids, strong enough to damage hair!!. I'm staying well clear of this product.

I was wondering how the bonds could be broken for that long. I have a question though, how does heat straighten your hair? What bonds is it breaking if any?

There are too many unanswered questions about this product. Thanks for the heads up you guys.

-Ebony

<font color="blue">Here's the answer:

"...It is always advisable to allow the hair to dry using natural heat, but in the real world this is often impractical. Heat appliances work by breaking the hair's hydrogen bonds, thereby making the hair curl around the barrel of a curling iron, or become straight by using a flat iron. The effects of thermal styling are temporary. After the heat breaks the bonds, the cool surrounding air essentially "freezes" the hair into the desired style. The style stays put until hydrogen (in the form of moisture), is re-introduced. That is why hair becomes frizzy and unmanageable in humid conditions. Water will always make the hair revert to it's natural state of curliness..."

For more info read this article:

The Effects of Heat on Hair </font>

I guess everything it too good to be true. I would definitely use it lived up to its claim, but it seems like I have to do a bit more research first.

Back