Taking out braids...need some advice

Hi ladies.

I've been taking out my zillions for the last couple of days and my hair feels stringy. I think this is from build up from the surge and S Curl plus the braid remover spray I've been using. I washed my braids periodically, but it's been more than a week since the last time. :ohwell:

When I had cornrows I washed my hair a couple of days before I took them out so I didn't have a build up problem.

What can I do to decrease the "stringyness". Should I condition wash before I shampoo so it doesn't clump together. Will that make it worse? What's a definite no-no in this situation?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe you should clarify with ACV or lemon juice diluted. That should help with the buildup. Hopefully some more people will respond.

first thing to remember is comb comb comb! you dont want to wash without doing so or you will get tangled. after i thoroughly comb through and get all the knots and dead hair off, i always condition first and take a wide-toothed comb in the shower with me and then start going through my hair when its soft and pliable. this gets all possible tangles out and then i proceed to shampoo.

Last edited:
Hey Candice:)

How's the take down process going? Is your hair feeling less stringy?

I just looked at your album and your braids were very pretty! Why are they called "zillions"? They look to be about the same size as the twists I have in, which I thought were individuals.

Hi OshunCurls. I'm still taking these braids down. :o I didn't know it would take so long. I had to miss my weekend side job this morning. I call them zillions because they are very small and they are about a zillion of them. Actually 308, but who's counting. lol. They're a type of individual braid.

Back