Taking down my weave

cheri109

Hi Ladies,
I have a question about weave removal, I have had a weave in for about two months and its been a great PS, just get up and go, but I am ready for this puppy to come out this weekend :grin:. I was looking for some tips, I am talking it out on Friday and need a relaxer Saturday. I was gonna take it out wash and condition it Friday night and relax on Saturday(I have a wedding on Sunday) Also what products would you recommend I use in my wash & condish so I dont lose to much hair. Should I pre-poo or maybe cowash and don’t shampoo before the relaxer?? I remember seeing the Ateeya disaster:blush:on Youtube, and I don’t want that to happen to me. TIA

I'd be interested to find what others do here as well. Though I'm natural now, I had a VERY strict rule of waiting at least a week after removing braids before relaxing my hair. I had a GF who relaxed right after removing braids and now her hairline is at her ears. There may well be a way to do this and not suffer like she did. I'm really curious.

You may want to use a tea rinse ( regular black tea). It is known to stop shedding dead within its tracks and the caffeine prolongs the life of hair strands. I use this once a month when I take may tracks down.

After removing your tracks and shampooing
Steep some regular black tea from the store (For about 4-6 hours)
Apply within hair ( I usually do this with an appliction bottle) It pretty runny so have some towels available
Let it sit for a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse and follow with a conditioner.

I hope this helps :grin:

wouldn't get a relaxer right after having a weave in. The hair needs a rest. And I thought you weren't supposed to agitate the scalp before a chemical process? I would just leave it in and take it out afterward.

Co-Sign on not relaxing the next day. Your scalp is going to go through some manipulation. I would suggest going to a salon that can silk your hair out so that it looks like you have a fresh relaxer. i would definitely suggest a trim to make it look neat and even.

I would wait to for the relaxer and just get it flat ironed. Granated back in the day, I use to take out my weave and relax the next day. I didnt know it was bad back then. My hair was fine, I didnt lose any, but my scalp was on FIIIIIIIIIRE, not pleasant at all.

Yeah, please dont relax yet :nono:

Just do a really thorough detangle and deep condition, and flat iron saturday :yep:

The relaxer issue is not my area of expertise but you are cutting it a little close on the take down. If you don't take it slow with detangling then you're going to lose hair. And if you have any matting you have to literally allow yourself time to detangle strand for strand. Ripping or cutting out matting hair is the number one reason why people complain that they don't retain length with weaves. It would be better if you can start earlier in the week.

Hi Ladies,
I have a question about weave removal, I have had a weave in for about two months and its been a great PS, just get up and go, but I am ready for this puppy to come out this weekend :grin:. I was looking for some tips, I am talking it out on Friday and need a relaxer Saturday. I was gonna take it out wash and condition it Friday night and relax on Saturday(I have a wedding on Sunday) Also what products would you recommend I use in my wash & condish so I dont lose to much hair. Should I pre-poo or maybe cowash and don’t shampoo before the relaxer?? I remember seeing the Ateeya disaster:blush:on Youtube, and I don’t want that to happen to me. TIA

I wouldn't do that if I were you...oh noooo:nono:

Thanks ladies for the tips, I will try that black tea rinse. Then get a dominican blow out and some pin curls to mask the new growth:yep:

Back