SWITCHING FROM LYE TO NO-LYE

Knedgers

Has anyone sucessfully done this? How do you guys recommend going about this? I am have decided to stretch a little longer than usual to prevent over lapping. But are there any other tips you all can give. Do you guys order your lye relaxers online or purchase them in them store?? Am i supposed to do a corrective relaxer and comb it to the end?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! THANX IN ADVANCE!!!

Confused :look:....Do you want to start using a lye or no lye relaxer?

Re: SWITCHING FROM LYE TO NO-LYE
Has anyone sucessfully done this? How do you guys recommend going about this? I am have decided to stretch a little longer than usual to prevent over lapping. But are there any other tips you all can give. Do you guys order your lye relaxers online or purchase them in them store?? Am i supposed to do a corrective relaxer and comb it to the end?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! THANX IN ADVANCE!!!

From it sounds like you mean switching to lye from no lye.
You can buy a lye relaxer at any Beauty supply store.

You can't correct no lye in the sense of straigtness. You can run the lye through the last 5 minutes to help smooth the cuticle.

Last edited:
OH OK :grin:

I switched from no-lye to lye about two years ago. I went to a salon to start the transition and I took it from there after I felt my hair was healthy again. I didnt do a corrective. I was using Nairobi relaxer. Now that I am self-relaxed I use Mizani and I go to the BBS store to do it. I really suggest if you are you going to self-relax to use SALON QUALITY lye relaxers. HTH

sorry for the confusion i would like to start using lye. can u reccomend a good bbrand??

sorry for the confusion i would like to start using lye. can u reccomend a good bbrand??

There are lots of good relaxers to choose from. Regardless of brand, the most important factor is application. You should always base your scalp and when possible, try using a mild protein conditioner on your hair for a couple of minutes before proceeding to using neutralizing shampoo. Always let the lather sit a couple of minutes and don't just lather one time. Deep condition afterwards.

Some brands to look at

Organic Root stimulator- the lye comes in a green jar
Mizani
Affirm
Silk Elements- you find this a sallys
Elasta qp, as already mentioned. It is affordable too
Vitale
Design Essentials

Go the companies website to see the descriptions of some of these relaxers. I personally have used Mizani mild for the past 2 touch-ups with good results.

I know many dump on Motions but their Oil Moisturizer (Lye) relaxer system is really good. I use the mild formula and it does great by my hair.:grin:

From my knowledge, there's no way to prep for the switch so to speak. You just start using it and STAY with it. If you keep switching back and forth lye to no lye to lye, you will have hair problems. In my experiences, lye works best for my hair and I will not be using no lye relaxers ever again. Gymfreak listed some other great lye relaxer systems as well. Get your research on!

thanx you guys!! since my next relaxer is not untill right before valentines day i have plenty of time to research!!!!!! I am excited about switching when ever a lye relaxer was used at the beauty salon always felt so good. i cant wait until februray so i can see the results

Back