Swimmers: A few Questions

sweetpeadst

Hello LHCF

I am thinking about incorporating swimming into my workout plan.My question is to those who swim. What do you do to protect your hair? I'm relaxed, colored, and currently in micros. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it!!!! :D

Good question because I know even with a swin cap, the water can still get in. I hear that you should coat your hair with conditioner--either a leave in or a regular conditioner before swimming.

A swim cap definitely does not prevent your hair from getting wet. Trust me...been there.

You are supposed to wet your hair first and coat with conditioner. Once your hair is already wet, it cannot be penetraited. After swimming, you'll need to wash with a clarifying shampoo to remove all the chlorine.

This was really taxing on my hair when I used to swim, but you can't sacrifice good health...ya know?

This is what I do when I go swimming. Firstly i would wet my hair then apply the thick cholesterol conditioner. You can buy the huge tub for under 10 dollars at a beauty supply store. Then put on a cloth swim cap or a wave cap. Then the latex swim cap this helps with slippage of the conditioner against the latex. After, I would wash my hair with regular shampoo I think swimming shampoo is to harsh to use often. Finally I would rinse with apple cinder vinger.

Thank you but I have micros and I think that the conditoner will eventually undo the knots at the end especially if I rinse with hot water! The suggestions are great though:D .

I wet my hair first and always use a swim cap. If you don't, you're basically washing your hair in chlorine. :eek: I used to lifeguard and teach swim lessons so my hair was getting wet every single day. I wash my hair immediately after I get out (don't let it dry) with a regular shampoo and then leave the conditioner in my hair and pull it into a bun or something. Last weekend I used Motions Moisture Plus and my hair felt sooo soft when I rinsed it out the next day. :) HTH!

I know getting your hair wet isn't what you want but the best thing to do is saturate your hair with regular water and then coat your hair with conditioner and put on a swim cap. A swim cap isn't designed to keep your hair from getting wet it's purpose is to keep hair out of your way while awimming and make you more aerodynamic. Also saturating the hair with regular water and then conditioner allows your hair to be wet and coated so that your hair won't suck up the chlorine water

Back