Suggestions needed-Best butters to use in winter

Fab_Nikki

Although I've been natural for alittle over a year now, the whole winter (last year) was spent trying to find the best product for moisture. I found a few moisturizing products (ex: Hair Dew, Shea Moisture) that really worked well however once I hit the cold winter air, my hair turns into a brillo pad. Although I sealed with an oil, I am wondering if this oil is too light (Hairveda's Vatika).

I've been reading that heavy butters are best for sealing during the winter but when I tried to use Shea butter it no longer works for me. I've tried mixing butters but admittedly I am NO mixologist and my combos usually leave me greasy. I know I have the porosity of my hair is low, water just barely penetrates it. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I've attached a pic of my hair. I don't know if it's just shrinkage that causes my hair to draw up so much. LOL It's a shame. Thanks!

3c7ce5ba.jpg
ac5d7f07.jpg

You have pretty hair!
I'm not sure how fine your hair is...I think the best oil for you to use would depend on that. But mine is very fine and this winter, I've been using a blend of Avocado Butter and Castor Oil. It's pretty rich without being heavy and I find that it seals in moisture well.

Thank you so much!

I don't know HOW to describe the thickness of my hair. Some strands are slightly fine but a good majority is THICK. I tried Mango butter this morning over Hair Dew and it's soft but then again I'm not outside. I will have to order some Avocado butter.

My hair has the tendency to turn to rice krispy treats in this weather too. :lol:

What I'm loving right now is Qhemet Aethiopeka Hydrate & Twist Butter, any of Marie Dean's butters and TLC Naturals Cocoa Shea Decadent Hair Butter.

My hair usually detests shea butter, but the Cocoa Shea is out of this world. IDK what makes it so awesome, but it is soooo awesome. I love it.

tiffers Okay I am glad it's not just me. I've been kind of hit and miss with Qhemet products, that's why I'm scared to try the new stuff. I do have some of the Burdock root butter stuff. Do you think if I use the Hair Dew then put some of the BRB that will help seal in the moisture?

Fab_Nikki Mixing two moisturizers might do the trick. I do that sometimes. :yep:

When the hair is extra crispy, I mix two moisturizers and top with a butter or castor oil. That usually does the trick. :grin:

fab_ Nikki :wave:

Lawd Chile...Where in the Debil You been? :blush:

Gurl...I was thinkin' 'bout you BF (cause you know you can haul with the best of 'em).

You know how you get down!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Where you been? Nothing to add to this Thread, but Wanted to say Hello!:grin:

Look Che @chebaby It's Fab Nikki!

tiffers Thanks!!!! I will try that. Girl I am bout clueless when it comes to my hair now. Well back in the day too but you couldn't tell me nathan then. LOL I will let you know how it turns out. I plan to steam tonight so I can get that moisture deep down in the cuticles. LOL

IDareT'sHair LOL Girl I creep around the boards daily. I am more of an observer until somebody start talkin' that sexy new product talk. LMAO

How you IS? How'd you make out on the beloved BF? I wasn't studdin' NONE of yall on that day. I am in rehab for my PJ ways. Doctor said I got a ways to go. :lachen:

I was a website stalkin' fool on BF but can you believe I didn't buy anything. Wait, no I did buy a LITER of Hair Dew. Owwwwww, that stuff seduced me and I admit I fell for it. I pumped him today and he did me good. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Thanks for shoutin' me out and WHAT UP chebaby ?!?!?! What's ya no good?

@Fab_Nikki Lawd Jeezus I didn't know they was sellin' Liters of Hair Dew *falls out*

Girl, BF it was on like Popcorn. You know how we do. I'm surprised that you didn't get on the Purabody Naturals Sale. B1 G1 Still on until Dec 27th.:look:

Have you tried her Capuacua Butter? That gets alot of good reviews. Since we 'Pose to be talmbout buttas & stuff up in here.:lol:

I also like:

MyHoneyChild Buttery Soy Hair Creme. It's excellent.:lick: (It's more of a Butter than a Creme).

CurlJunkie Honey Butta' (seems to be really popular with the Natcha' Crowd).

Girl, now you know I (we) can find you a Butta':lick:......:lol:

Last edited:
hey ladies:wave:
your hair is fab fabnikki lol. its looks nice and lush.

vatika oil will freeze your hair in the winter. all coconut based oils will. i think you should use a butter, cream, or oil where the first ingredient is castor oil.
im not a qhemet stan but have you tried the heavy cream?

my favorite winter products in no particular order are komaza shea lotion, komaza califia cream, bee min luscious cream, and oyin hair dew:lick:

@Fab_Nikki Lawd Jeezus I didn't know they was sellin' Liters of Hair Dew *falls out*

Girl, BF it was on like Popcorn. You know how we do. I'm surprised that you didn't get on the Purabody Naturals Sale. B1 G1 Still on until Dec 27th.:look:

Have you tried her Capuacua Butter? That gets alot of good reviews. Since we 'Pose to be talmbout buttas & stuff up in here.:lol:

I also like:

MyHoneyChild Buttery Soy Hair Creme. It's excellent.:lick: (It's more of a Butter than a Creme).

girl hop on the bolded. that was my staple in the summer and i used it monday for the first time during the cold weather and the honey butta is the only thing i have in my hair. everyday since then ive added a castor oil mix i made(jbco, wheat germ oil and hemp oil) and my hair is still soft. its in a third day wash and go bun.
that cj honey butta is the bomb.com.

I also like:

IDareT'sHair I ain't studdin' you and that sale (right now) :look: Sides, I've never heard of that line. But Capuacua you say? :lol:

I am going to stop reading the CurlJunkie website because everything they "say" should work for my hair, rarely does. I am gonna pick up that butter today. Thank God they have it at one of my hair spots (it's asian owned. Is that against LHCF law?)

hey ladies:wave:
your hair is fab fabnikki lol. its looks nice and lush.

vatika oil will freeze your hair in the winter. all coconut based oils will. i think you should use a butter, cream, or oil where the first ingredient is castor oil.
im not a qhemet stan but have you tried the heavy cream?

my favorite winter products in no particular order are komaza shea lotion, komaza califia cream, bee min luscious cream, and oyin hair dew:lick:

chebaby Thank you, doll!!! I am sooo clueless with this hair thing. I tried making a mix last night with mango butter, JBCO and avocado oil. That stuff was sooo oily lol But I did use it to do a twist or two and it was NIIIICE.

When I was transitioning Bee Mine was my go-to line. I had alittle bit of some samples and I revisited those, yep still the bidnezz! I've been meaning to order but my stash was IGNANT for a minute. So I was on a self imposed "NO ONLINE BUY". Notice it was only on online purchases. Girl I've been so anti-shipping cost lately. LOL

When the Hair and Body Boutique closed I brough some Komaza products. I just couldn't get a feel for them, like they weren't bad but they weren't spectacular either.

girl hop on the bolded. that was my staple in the summer and i used it monday for the first time during the cold weather and the honey butta is the only thing i have in my hair. everyday since then ive added a castor oil mix i made(jbco, wheat germ oil and hemp oil) and my hair is still soft. its in a third day wash and go bun.
that cj honey butta is the bomb.com.

chebaby I have all of these except hemp oil. I need butters that aren't going to have me looking like an oil slick. I am heavy handed on everything.

I also like Enso Naturals Butters

SheScentIt:

Marula Hemp Butter
Seyani Hair Butter

IDareT'sHair I am scared to order from Enso :look:. Everytime I go to SheScentIt to make an order I never follow through. Again that's when my stash was ignant. Now it is less ignant but I need to wait for a sale. Keep me updated on that. LOL

@Fab_Nikki - I'm relaxed with low porosity and Bee Mine Luscious is the best for my hair

divachyk Thank you!!! I am going to bite the bullet and repurchase this. It really is Luscious! :)

girl if you like your money you bet not order from enso lmao.
something i tried for the first time today and i am super late on is shea moisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie. i used it on a wash and go today over cj smoothing lotion and my hair is very soft. feels like it has a little oil on it too. i wear my wash and go styles for 3 days at a time without moisturizing in between so ill see how long this moisture lasts. and again with the castor oil i will be using the castor oil on second and third day hair.

IDareT'sHair chebaby LOL Yeah I won't be ordering a THING from Enso. LOL

So after watching richeau's video on YT about the Blue Magic Coconut oil grease, I've sealed with this (ENDS ONLY) with this. My hair is soooo moisturized and soft. I used Hair Dew under it and all is good. I giggled when I read the bottle and it says "Apply to hair and scalp". NOT the kid! Ummm where are you bother located? We need a meetup :)

Butters have never did anything for me during winter months. Jamaican Black Castor Oil is something I revisited for the winter and so far, so good. Sometimes I will seal using Wave Nouveau moisturizing lotion but let me warn you about both~~~JBCO is very thick so go very slow when using it to seal. You don't wanna rip your hair. WN is awesome however that weird residue on your fingers takes some getting used to. Last but not least, it doesn't hurt to invest in a small humidifier for the winter. You can get those for like $20.00! It will assure your hair will get some moisture at least while you are at home.

<3 i love you ladies.
Fab_Nikki, have you tried Elasta QP Mango Olive Oil butter? It works wonders for me during the winter time. It's pretty thick, but not really oily, so if you need, add a few drops of water to it so it's the perfect creamy consistency you need.

Butters have never did anything for me during winter months. Jamaican Black Castor Oil is something I revisited for the winter and so far, so good. Sometimes I will seal using Wave Nouveau moisturizing lotion but let me warn you about both~~~JBCO is very thick so go very slow when using it to seal. You don't wanna rip your hair. WN is awesome however that weird residue on your fingers takes some getting used to. Last but not least, it doesn't hurt to invest in a small humidifier for the winter. You can get those for like $20.00! It will assure your hair will get some moisture at least while you are at home.

Brightyeyes35 Thanks sweetie! I tried the JBCO the other day and you are SO right about ripping out your hair. It felt like it was just adding a waxy layer to my hair. I made another batch of aloe/flax gell and added castor oil to it. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it will just sit on my hair too. Oooooooh I love the thought of a humidifier. Will help my stuffy nose to :)

<3 i love you ladies.
@Fab_Nikki, have you tried Elasta QP Mango Olive Oil butter? It works wonders for me during the winter time. It's pretty thick, but not really oily, so if you need, add a few drops of water to it so it's the perfect creamy consistency you need.
BreeNique Hey boo :) I haven't tried Elasta anything since being natural. Are you saying add a few drops to the whole container of the butter or in my hand once I scoop it out? I had no idea I was this hair clueless.

FYI Ladies I am thinking of using cassia/indigo. Thoughts? Or should I stop while I still have hair on my head? :lachen:

@IDareT'sHair @chebaby LOL Yeah I won't be ordering a THING from Enso. LOL

So after watching richeau's video on YT about the Blue Magic Coconut oil grease, I've sealed with this (ENDS ONLY) with this. My hair is soooo moisturized and soft. I used Hair Dew under it and all is good. I giggled when I read the bottle and it says "Apply to hair and scalp". NOT the kid! Ummm where are you bother located? We need a meetup :)
im in DC. we should meet up. i know you are close because you cleaned out the hair and body boutique:lol:

i see everyone is doing the grease thing. ive been sealing my ends with burnt sugar pomade when i do my braid outs. and i have kbb butter which looks like a grease but i dont use real grease. i cant stand the texture.

im in DC. we should meet up. i know you are close because you cleaned out the hair and body boutique:lol:

i see everyone is doing the grease thing. ive been sealing my ends with burnt sugar pomade when i do my braid outs. and i have kbb butter which looks like a grease but i dont use real grease. i cant stand the texture.
chebaby

:lol: R.I.P to the Hair and Body Boutique. We should definitely meet up. I've always wanted to go to one of the DMV meetups but I don't want to go alone. LOL Plus I have some Darcy products to swap. Not my beloved Pumpkin Conditioner though.

I've been sealing with burnt sugar pomade for the last 2 days and I am certain that Oyin is my winter go to/staple product line. After co-washing I put on my leave in condish (Garnier Frutis), then seal with the grease :lol:, then put my shower cap on, tie my hair up and go to bed. In the morning I rewet my hair with a spray bottle, add Hair Dew then seal with the Burnt Sugar Pomade. :lick::lick::lick:

I have a cart ready to go on fromnaturewithlove.com with some butters but I might delete that because Oyin is back on top.

@chebaby

:lol: R.I.P to the Hair and Body Boutique. We should definitely meet up. I've always wanted to go to one of the DMV meetups but I don't want to go alone. LOL Plus I have some Darcy products to swap. Not my beloved Pumpkin Conditioner though.

I've been sealing with burnt sugar pomade for the last 2 days and I am certain that Oyin is my winter go to/staple product line. After co-washing I put on my leave in condish (Garnier Frutis), then seal with the grease :lol:, then put my shower cap on, tie my hair up and go to bed. In the morning I rewet my hair with a spray bottle, add Hair Dew then seal with the Burnt Sugar Pomade. :lick::lick::lick:

I have a cart ready to go on fromnaturewithlove.com with some butters but I might delete that because Oyin is back on top.
ive never been to a meet up ether cause like you i dont like going alone lol. i did meet a few ladies in the dmv area but it was just the 3 of us so i wouldnt call it a meet up lol.

Fab_Nikki,
For the colder months I like avocado, mango, or shea butter. I also get great results from sealing with castor oil. Does your hair like ceramides? For example hemp oil gives me great results in the warmer months so I am thinking of trying hemp butter in the next few months. I buy most of mine from Organic Creations- http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/the-Butters/Categories. They have a pretty good selection in multiple sizes so if your hair doesn't like something you aren't stuck with a 20lb tub.

I hate mixing up things, the most I will do is add some oil to a conditioner and that's it.

I 2nd the Elasta QP Olive and Mango Butter

I've also been using Jane Carter Nourish and Shine for the last week and :love:

OP,

I like to use grapeseed oil or rice bran oil. Both oils have very small molecules and are easily absorbed without making your hair greasy.

@Fab_Nikki,
For the colder months I like avocado, mango, or shea butter. I also get great results from sealing with castor oil. Does your hair like ceramides? For example hemp oil gives me great results in the warmer months so I am thinking of trying hemp butter in the next few months. I buy most of mine from Organic Creations- http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/the-Butters/Categories. They have a pretty good selection in multiple sizes so if your hair doesn't like something you aren't stuck with a 20lb tub.

Prudent1 I am in the process (read procrastinating) of ordering avocado and shealoe butter. I have mango butter now but I mixed it with some other stuff. As for ceramides I think my hair tolerates most of them well. I used products like AO (Love them), Silicone Mix (loves) and Crece Pelo Leave-In (meh, it was ok). However the only oil I've used is wheat germ oil. It works similar to castor oil on my hair just not AS waxy. Thank you for the link I will check it out :)

I hate mixing up things, the most I will do is add some oil to a conditioner and that's it.

I 2nd the Elasta QP Olive and Mango Butter

I've also been using Jane Carter Nourish and Shine for the last week and :love:

Kay.Dee I really need to try out this Elasta, because many people recommend it. I think I'm only skeptical because I tried their products when I was relaxed and I hated them. Holy Moly I completely forgot about Nourish and shine. I gotta dig deep in my stash to find it. Thank you for the reminder :)

OP,

I like to use grapeseed oil or rice bran oil. Both oils have very small molecules and are easily absorbed without making your hair greasy.
biancaelyse Thank you! I have grapeseed oil but haven't tried it alone, only in a mix. The mix was so oily that I couldn't even use it.

Back