Successfully did a relaxer touchup and henna treatment

fancypants007

on the same day. This really is a whole day process because I divide my hair into two sections and I do the front first, and then the back. I started around 1:30-2PM and I did not finish everything until around 9-9:30PM that night. I follow Softresses advice and I deep condition my hair at least for 3 hours before I apply my henna. First did a hot oil treatment for 1 hour and then I did a SE deep conditioning for 2 hours. I applied my henna and left it on for 1 hour with medium heat and then recondition with humectress for 1 hour. My hair was strong and did not appear to be overconditioned. Usually I wash the henna out with VO5 conditioner, but I noticed my hair appeared to be softer so I skipped using VO5. I also gave myself a trim according to lunar moon schedule. I will not be doing another trim/relaxer touchup until after the sweet success challenge is over. I will try to document by taking pics of my new growth and then I will try to post everything at the end of the challenge. I just wanted to share the great experience i had this weekend.

Congratulations! I can understand how it was an all-day process. I haven't tried henna yet so it's good to know it can be done on the same day as relaxing. :)

Cosigning relaxer + henna = success...Thanks for your help Fancypants...Help from all the LHCF ladies have been so useful for me : )

YYYYY:yay:aaaaa :yay: YYYYY

I am so glad you had a good experience. I make my texturizers an all day process with the henna, and have never had better results. The before and after method really works for me.

Softresses

I want to try henna but i'm kinda scared. I was reading that it is a natural dye but I don't want my hair to change colors. What did you put in your henna fancypants007?

CaramelMiSS said:
I want to try henna but i'm kinda scared. I was reading that it is a natural dye but I don't want my hair to change colors. What did you put in your henna fancypants007?

If you hair is already dark, you probably won't see a hair color difference unless you let the henna sit for several hours and allow the dye to release. You also have to add ACV or lemon juice to help the dye release. If you just want to use it for conditioning reasons, just mix it immediately and leave it on for an hour or so. You shouldn't see any hair color change and if you do, it will be so mild that you won't even notice it. My hair is medium brown, I put my henna mixture in the oven so that the warmth would speed up the die release. I let it sit for about 45 mins in the oven and then another hour once I turned the oven off. Then I let it sit for a couple of more hours outside in the sun in a see through container. The dye released and I applied it to my hair for an hour under a heated cap. My color change is very mild. It made my two or three gray strands dark burgundy brown and my hair looks a bit darker - richer. Its really pretty. I'll henna again this weekend. Its been about 2 weeks since I last did it.

CaramelMiSS said:

Sorry for not responding sooner. I ususally put ACV, honey and EVOO and hot water. I mix it the consistency of yogurt or pancake batter and let it sit for at least 12+ hours. I have been doing henna treatments for awhile, and this is the first time that I didn't need to rinse it out with VO5 conditioner.

Glad to see everything worked out great w/your results. I also use Humectress as my DC after my henna treatments and I love it.

@carmelMISS I also do my henna treatments w/out any dye release, my hair had gotten darker and richer looking, but no color.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Glad to see everything worked out great w/your results. I also use Humectress as my DC after my henna treatments and I love it.

@carmelMISS I also do my henna treatments w/out any dye release, my hair had gotten darker and richer looking, but no color.

That's the main thing i'm worried about is color but if it doesn't show up I'm good!

shawniegee said:
Glad you had great results. I'm definately going to try this.

I'm sure you will like henna. I particularly love the jamila henna because it is not as dark as the kind I purchased from hennaforhair.com. I don't usually sit under a dryer with my henna, but this time I did for about 1 hour and it was very conditioning. Henna makes your hair strong which is why I will continue to use it. I'm going to soon put my hair in braids so I'm going to be lost without doing my henna treatments.

CaramelMiSS said:

You can choose a transcluscent henna. It will just add shine, strength and condition, but no color. I used it years ago and am considering hennaing again.

Softresses said:
YYYYY:yay:aaaaa :yay: YYYYY

I am so glad you had a good experience. I make my texturizers an all day process with the henna, and have never had better results. The before and after method really works for me.

Softresses

Thanks for the encouragement. I just love your hair, it looks so healthy and it is so long. I'm working with mine and hopefully it will respond so I too can achieve hair health and hair length.

CaramelMiSS said:

The color of henna is very subtle. What color you see in my hair is the few gray strands that are like red highlights in my hair. I have been trying to achieve the auburny look, and I still don't have it and I don't think I ever will because my hair is dark brown in color. Henna makes your hair strong, shiney and just beautiful. Since Softresses gave us the heads-up about doing henna treatments before and after relaxers with success; well all I can say is WOW! I just love my hair when I finish even though it may take me all day.

Back