Stylist: Are you one of those people that have to wash your hair?

My Friend

:perplexed I had my hair braided by a stylist I have never patronized before. I wanted to see what her thoughts were about hair care, etc.

Me: How often should I wash my hair?

Stylist: Are you one of THOSE people that have to wash your hair all the time?

Me: Ummm, I don't know, how often is all time?

Stylist: More than 1 or twice a month?

Me: :sad: Well, I like to wash it 2-3 times per week :look:

Stylist: :Looking at my hair: You don't have that grade of hair :rolleyes: :I'm looking at her in the mirror, and she is rolling her eyes and the corners of her mouth are like, whatever: Don't wash it that much, she says.

Me: What grade should wash their hair more?

Stylist: You know, people with that good grade of hair.

Me: Oh......

Lawd, Lawd, Lawd, between having a bad grade of hair, bad blood, big lips, big booty, skin that is too dark, and a nose that is too wide, whats a black woman to do :ohwell:

The worst part about it is, all these statements came from people who look just like ME!!!! :blush: I know not all BW/BM would make these type of statements but the one's that do bother me.

Maybe I should have tried to share what I've learned here about hair care but I noticed when she would express herself, she would braid tighter :blush:

I did give her the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe she didnt want me to ruin the look of the braids by frequent washing, but it was her tone, her look and choice of words that me a little annoyed.

Thanks for letting me vent.....

Me: What grade should wash their hair more?

Stylist: You know, people with that good grade of hair.

Me: Oh......
That part had me laughing so hard. You know you gotta have that "good" hair girl! :lachen: Whatever, "good" hair is healthy hair and that's it. You're probably better off not talking about hair care with her if you go to her again, most likely would be a waste of time.
So where's a pic of the hairstyle, huh?

Most stylists are only good for their particular niche, ie applying relaxers, rollersetting or braiding, nothing more and nothing less and this includes celebrity stylists.

Its actually pretty rare to find a stylist that can combine true extensive knowledge of healthy hair, styling skill and professionalism. With most stylists all you can expect is specialization in one very specific skill. Stylists are just like the rest of Black women, the vast majority are woefully misinformed in regards to proper haircare.

Last edited:
That part had me laughing so hard. You know you gotta have that "good" hair girl! :lachen: Whatever, "good" hair is healthy hair and that's it. You're probably better off not talking about hair care with her if you go to her again, most likely would be a waste of time.
So where's a pic of the hairstyle, huh?

It's just cornrows so my wig will lay flat. I only went to her because she was cheap and had an opening.

Most stylists are only good for their particular niche, ie applying relaxers, rollersetting or braiding, nothing more and nothing less and this includes celebrity stylists.

Its actually pretty rare to find a stylist that can combine true extensive knowledge of healthy hair, styling skill and professionalism. With most stylists all you can expect is specialization in one very specific skill. Stylists are just like the rest of Black women, the vast majority are woefully misinformed in regards to proper haircare.

BMP, I was thinking the same thing. That is what prompted the poll I just listed. Please vote :yep:

So so true...which is why I'm done with them :perplexed

Humm, wonder how often she washes her hair. I visit stylist and i look at their hair if it healthly and taken care of I will give them a try..otherwise I am right out the door.

Ignorant. I just don't understand how people in service industries insult their patrons to their face and still get paid. I would have given her a penny for her thoughts and left there with a half done head of hair.

Clean hair is not evil. Keep doing what is best for you.

Last edited:
Well, there are people who only wash once or twice a month, it was just her choice of words. I usually wash once a week. When I was a kid my mother would wash it every two weeks. We actually had a similar conversation a long time ago. At that time I was doing a lot of cowashing because my hair was dry and I felt that was helping with the dryness and I explained that to her. Now I don't have a dryness issue and I think that frequent cowashing (without having hair in braids) is too much manipulation.
Shrugs - some people just have old school mentalities with the way they phrase stuff. I had to give my mother the side eye. However --- my hair is longer than it has been in a looooong time - so I'm going to keep doing what I am doing. My mother does have good hair ideas sometimes - so I take the good and ignore the bad. Sometimes I will try what I think is a bad idea if she presses the issue (after I keep complaining about something hair related) - and sometimes the "bad idea" will work.

In the winter I usually wash either once every week or twice a month w/o co-washing in b/w and had no problems. Summer time is different(co-washing/washing more). Frequent washing is just not feasable to some people but the stylist was wrong to tell you that you don't have that "good grade of hair" for frequent hair washing. It's your hair & nobody should not tell you that your hair is "not good grade" as long the hair is healthy then it's "good hair".

Also the cornrows are going to be underneath a wig so who cares if their fuzzy. Nobody going see but you so wash away then.

Not everyone has reach to the same realization that we have on here, (sadly not even a licensed beautician). Its going to take a very long time for others to turn around. Don't take it personal it just what some of us have been taught... regardless of the fact some have gone to cosmetology school ...

Good grade of hair? *sigh*

Last edited:
Back