Stretching Out Perms

Blackoutzangel05

I am currently 14 weeks post perm and not really having problems with my hair and because I want my perm to look fresh I am not getting another one until 2 weeks before my wedding which is May 5th. So my question would be this...what is the longest that you have ever stretched a perm and how did your hair react to the perm when you got it???

I don't want to damage my hair so I want to be sure that I am going about this the right way. Currently I am roller setting my hair weekly and that seems to be going fine, but I keep hearing about this no heat and it being damaging....just trying to get the ups and downs LOL

The longest I've ever stretch is 12wks but this time I'm aiming for 14wks. I had a new head of hair when I got my relaxer after just a twelve week stretch. I can only imagine how beautiful, thick and healthy your hair will be. Just be sure to keep a good protein/moisture balance. Comb the tangles out under running water in the shower. As far as rollersetting, imo that's the best route to go when stretching if you are not one for braids, wigs, weaves etc. I rollerset during my stretch and would press the ng once a week. The hooded dyrer is indirect heat, so you are definitely on the right track. Good Luck!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!

Have you ever thought about wearing braids to help you stretch until a few weeks before your wedding? Then you can do 2 weeks of conditioning and updos before you get your relaxer.

Braids and me, because of my soft curly hair, are not friends. However, I found out how to do a bun style that I know that I am going to love. I will probably alternate that with a roller set until I am ready to get another relaxer. I really wish that I could wear braids but they do nothing for me after a week of wearing them.

Stretching is weird. My first stretch was 24 weeks (completely by accident) and my hair was a mess; breakage everywhere. But get this. After I got it relaxed, it didn't look like I lost any hair at all. It looked strangely thicker.

I think strenghin not a problem as long as u give its lots of TLC CARE.
once i strenght to 3 months 2 weeks my hair look absoultely ridiculious,and its hard to get through quick enough with all the newgrwoth.

I'm starting my first stretch. i'm going into my 9th week post relaxer. Trying to make it to 12 weeks. It hasn't been as bad as I thought. Co-washing has definitely helped to keep my ng soft and manageable. The difficult part is that I have short hair (about chin legnth), which makes it difficult to style after every co-wash without heat. What I'm doing is now is wrapping it until I can get it back a length that I can baggie treat and throw up into a bun after washing it.

BTW...I just joined the LHCF yesterday and already i have learned SOOOO much. This is awesome! Thanks to all who have offered their advise and to all who will in the future.

The breaking is what I am worried about. My hair feels great and when I blowdryed it last night, don't seem to have breakage, but I am doing alot of shedding and that worries me.

I am also new to LHCF. I am stretching my perm for the first time. Its been 8 weeks this week and I am at my wits end. I am on a heavy gym schedule so my hair is looking scary right now. I have been wearing it up in a bun. I have been putting conditioner on my hair at night after the workouts to deal with the dry scalp. I have not actually tried a conditioning wash but will try that next.

ashiah said:
Stretching is weird. My first stretch was 24 weeks (completely by accident) and my hair was a mess; breakage everywhere. But get this. After I got it relaxed, it didn't look like I lost any hair at all. It looked strangely thicker.

I agree. I stretched for about 5 months (unintentionally) right before I joined LHCF and then put a super strength relaxer on, yet my hair still had a lot of body and movement.

I've stretched/transitioned for 11 months, and just finished a 24-week stretch last month. The best advice I can give is to leave it alone as much as possible. Do wash you hair as often as you may and moisturize like crazy; but, I basically avoided even combing my hair and choose finger shaping it into phoney ponies rather than styling. Protein is very important as well to keep the line of demarcation strong, and I agree that minimal heat is best. I didn't have any trouble with relaxing my hair after the long stretches.

In the end, "there is nothing to it but to do it!" ;)

Good luck, and congrats, Blackoutzangel05! :) :) :)

Last edited:
the longest for me was 14weeks tryin to go 16 this next go around. I had a lot of problems with breakage but like others said my hair still came out w more thickness and body then I imagined. I lacked on the protein treatments so thats one thing I strongly suggest. I also did not use heat the whole time and my new growth is hella thick. Good luck on the stretch you've made it this far.

I do deep conditioning weekly with my shampoos and I do Aphogee every other month...is there another protein conditioner that I need to be using. I am trying to stretch it as long as I can and see if I can go without a perm but I don't know about that.

The longest I ever stretched was 16 weeks. My hair started to shed really badly, so I now don't go past 13 weeks. That seems to work well for me.

Back