Stretchers, Do You Air Dry Many Weeks Post Relaxer?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am wondering if anyone gets to a certain week and in order to continue stretching, you flat iron or blow out your roots.

I cannot really stretch well beyond 9 or 10 AND keep up my airdrying regimen.

Flat iron recommendation for straightening 4a roots anyone?

I am wondering if anyone gets to a certain week and in order to continue stretching, you flat iron or blow out your roots.

What is your airdrying method?

I recommend a Sedu or Chi if you want to flat iron.
Any blow dryer with concentration funnel would blow your roots out.

I am 6 months post today yeaaaa me and I do not use a blowdryer on my hair .. i actually hate it . If my hair isnt in cornrows, I airdry in plaits, when fully dry, I use my Solia and focus on straightening my roots (and sometimes go straight to the ends)

I am 6 months post today yeaaaa me and I do not use a blowdryer on my hair .. i actually hate it . If my hair isnt in cornrows, I airdry in plaits, when fully dry, I use my Solia and focus on straightening my roots (and sometimes go straight to the ends)

Which Solia do you have?

What is your airdrying method?

I recommend a Sedu or Chi if you want to flat iron.
Any blow dryer with concentration funnel would blow your roots out.

I drip dry from sopping wet with leave-in. The relaxed hair dries smoothly, but not the new growth of course.

Nope. I never airdry. I just rollerset the entire stretch which has been close to 15wks for me. Don't even flat iron or blowdry.

I can airdry my hair in a ponytail at 12wks post but i doesn't bother me because i usually bun anyway (not lately). I just make sure i moisture and do the scarf method afterwards. As long as my edges are somewhat straight (laying down) and my ponytail is smooth, i'm good to go.

Yes, I still do. In the latter months, I start tying my hair down with a scarf while it's still damp. That helps a lot.

Yep I air dry everyday. I am going on 12 weeks post and looking to do another 4 weeks for a grand total of 4 months and I put some conditioner, castor oil and coconut oil in my hair and brush it back into a ponytail(not too tight of course) and I let it dry that way. I plan on alternating between ponytails and braidouts for the next 4 weeks.

I do, after cowashing I apply some more conditioner like a leave-in, tie it down and go to sleep. I can't mess with it when it's dry though .. well, not alot. :nono:

The first 10-12 weeks or so, I rollerset easily (under dryer or airdry).

After weeks 10-12, I ditch the rollers, and switch to airdrying 80% with a scarf, then blowing out roots on low, with a diffuser attached, and follow that w/flat-ironing.

I just started this regimen and my hair has never behaved so well. My goal is to stretch to 24 weeks. Before this routine, when I stretched passed 10-12 weeks and tried to airdry, my hair would break, mat, and tangle. ETA: I use MaxiGlide.

Last edited:
I can airdry my hair in a ponytail at 12wks post but i doesn't bother me because i usually bun anyway (not lately). I just make sure i moisture and do the scarf method afterwards. As long as my edges are somewhat straight (laying down) and my ponytail is smooth, i'm good to go.

same here.............

I always air dry regardless. When my new growth was starting to get out of control I just washed more and did braid outs.

Nope. I never airdry. I just rollerset the entire stretch which has been close to 15wks for me. Don't even flat iron or blowdry.

same here. I normally ponytail after it's dry and tie down with a scarf to keep my roots straight as possible.

Tying down with a scarf is the only way I ever air-dry. Before doing this my hair was a brittle dry mess afterwards!:lachen:

hello,
Im 19 weeks post (my first real stretching) goin' to 31 weeks. I don't use heat at all since my last relaxer and when dry, my hair looks good..why because right after my leave in i make 4 or 6 little bun wait 1hour and put a scarf on it ...and after that my hair makes big curls as if i had rollerset.
But very important information i don't have underprocessed hair so when dry my hair is always straight

Last edited:
hello,
Im 19 weeks post (my first real stretching) goin' to 31 weeks. I don't use heat at all since my last relaxer and when dry, my hair looks good..why because right after my leave in i make 4 or 6 little bun wait 1hour and put a scarf on it ...and after that my hair makes big curls as if i had rollerset.
But very important information i don't have underprocessed hair so when dry my hair is always straight

My hair is relaxed pretty straight too. But it's the new growth I'm trying to get to dry straighter. Do your little buns help your NG dry straighter?

My longest stretch has been 17 weeks and I have always air dried. I only use heat for dc purpose. Okay I see you want to lay down/straighten your NG. had you tried using that popular scarf method I hear about? put some leave-in and maybe even gel (aloe vera), tie the scarf tight enough, go to sleep, wake up with smooth laid down hair.

Last edited:
My hair is relaxed pretty straight too. But it's the new growth I'm trying to get to dry straighter. Do your little buns help your NG dry straighter?
Because i tie my scarf a little tight on the wet little bun my ng "flattens" and makes waves(Im 4a/4b)

Okay I see you want to lay down/straighten your NG. had you tried using that popular scarf method I hear about? put some leave-in and maybe even gel (aloe vera), tie the scarf tight enough, go to sleep, wake up with smooth laid down hair.

co/signing :yep::yep:

I'm subscribing because I'm gonna be needing a litle help with this long stretch I'm doing right now. I am currently over 21 weeks post my last relaxer. I just took down my 2 month extension braids and about to wash my hair and I have no idea how I'm gonna allow it to dry. It seems like the rollerset might work out better than airdrying for me this time around as my new growth is really really thick - maybe too thick for airdrying.

I want to henna my hair tomorrow too so the softer I get it today, the better. I might even DC overnight tonight.

Back