Straightening mess!

comatose

So this month marks one year being relaxer free. I tried straightening my hair (for the 5th time) and I really haven't improved. My hair still comes out poofy and don't get me started on the ends.

I washed, DC'd with protein and moisturizing, washed again. Used a little leave in, straighten butter, air dried in rollers and heat protectant. I straightened (with heat protectant in each section) with one slow and one quick pass on the ends. BUT my ends of sooo poofy despite detangling thoroughly during my DC. I tried to comb through them and I saw there were some shed hairs in there as well and my hair kept breaking off:nono:, I guess cause my ends curled into themselves as well. I also noticed I shed WAY more than I usually do when I straighten.

It was too embarassing to take pictures of. As always, I will admit defeat and wet my hair so it reverts :ohwell:.

Please help me out. :spinning:

You're not alone...I gave up thinking about straightening my hair again since my ends look like someone was chewing on them from all the ssks.

i used to have this issue as well until i tried the comb chase method(believe thats the name) now i have smooth poofless hair until i step outside. if your hairs breaking/shedding excessively then you may wanna stay away from heat for nnw.

Hey, thank you for replying. I washed after my DC to prevent build-up cause I read that too many products make straightening unsuccessful. And I can never seem to rinse thoroughly enough. I used Elucence MB as my leave in. I tried combing while I straightened and that was how I broke off some of my hair. Is it any different with the straightening comb?

i'm relaxed BUT my ends are not straight...they're poofy and i didn't like to flat iron because the ends would look all weird and not staight. But i tried the comb chase method and it works like a charm. The ends look wonderful! You should try it! =)

I'm a fan of Sabino's Moisture Block, it will definitely help your hair not get poofy, but, if you're dealing with high humidity, IDK, Sabino will work for a braided style.

What kind of flat iron are you using? I know, no one wants to use too much heat, but maybe turn it up a bit? With a good flat iron 2 passes should be enough to get your hair straight.

Pooing twice may play a part in the breakage as well because that just not only strips your oils but negates the point of the dc. I agree with the point chase method. Also with this heat it'll probably be better to try when the weather is cooler.

I'm using a cheap Phillips Tresemme flat iron. It doesn't have temparature settings but bars that show the levels of heat, I guess. I had it on the second to last bar. Too scared to go to the highest. Maybe I should get a better flat iron?:look: I'm going to check out Sabino, is it called a moisture blocker across different brands or it's just a name for a Sabino product?

Last edited:
Pooing twice may play a part in the breakage as well because that just not only strips your oils but negates the point of the dc. I agree with the point chase method. Also with this heat it'll probably be better to try when the weather is cooler.

I used Elucence MB shampoo which i thought was very gentle. I don't get that stripped feeling when I use it. But I'll cut back on the shampooing.

Hey, thank you for replying. I washed after my DC to prevent build-up cause I read that too many products make straightening unsuccessful. And I can never seem to rinse thoroughly enough. I used Elucence MB as my leave in. I tried combing while I straightened and that was how I broke off some of my hair. Is it any different with the straightening comb?

Cut out the second shampoo; DC with a great conditioner and use a leave-in. I use Lacio Lacio and Morracan Oil and then I airdry my hair in 4 sections. I don't use anything afterwards as far as another heat protectant. I flat iron my hair in sections using my FHI (I suggest you upgrade your flat iron as well. I use the straightening comb as I flat iron. There may be pictures in my fotki...if not, i'll upload some bootleg ones of me at the club...

I'm using a cheap Phillips Tresemme flat iron. It doesn't have temparature settings but bars that show the levels of heat, I guess. I had it on the second to last bar. Too scared to go to the highest. Maybe I should get a better flat iron?:look: I'm going to check out Sabino, is it called a moisture blocker across different brands or it's just a name for a Sabino product?

Sorry, it's called Loc n Block now. http://www.gotfrizz.com/our_product.htm It's pretty good stuff.

A good iron runs upward of $90, I use one from Sallys, GVP, I think it's a generic Chi. It has a temperature gauge and ceramic heaters, works great for me, though if you do a search, you'll find there are a lot of good ones out there.

Shampooing twice might be the culprit.

What kind of butter did you use? Because using a butter before rollersetting might actually make your hair feel waxy. Try the leave-in by itself.

Also make sure your hair is 100% dry before removing rollers. You can get a table top dryer for under $60 and it makes a big difference.

HTH

Shampooing twice might be the culprit.

What kind of butter did you use? Because using a butter before rollersetting might actually make your hair feel waxy. Try the leave-in by itself.

Also make sure your hair is 100% dry before removing rollers. You can get a table top dryer for under $60 and it makes a big difference.

HTH

This is the first time I actually tried shampooing twice. I did that because I thought I had build up from my DC in the past. I used Smooth N Shine straightening butter to combat frizziness. Thank you!

Are you using something to close your cuticles? Try an ACV rinse instead of a second shampoo; I too agree that there is really no reason to shampoo, DC, and shampoo again.

Just a shot in the dark....maybe your hair would do better if you didn't air dry, but used a tabletop dryer instead. I know of a few women on here who get poofy ends when they don't use heat to dry.

I also love the comb chase method. In addition, depending on the metal your flat iron is made of, it may not be capable of getting hot enough (or hot evenly enough) to do the trick. Go for pure ceramic, not just ceramic coated like most of the cheaper irons are.

The same thing happened to me this weekend when I straightened my hair. I tried using the comb and flat iron method but I had a hard time holding both. Im going to try again in the morning. I thought I would have more shed hairs than I did when combing but luckily my hair stayed in tact. Its just my ends are not straight.

Back