Stop doing twist/braid outs or bantu knots because of dry ends?

yodie

Has this happened to anyone?

Came from the salon yesterday and as I suspected, my ends were very dry. Seems my hair was very dry.

I love my twist outs, but I'm afraid it's drying my ends something awful. Anyone have this problem, apply oil to their ends and still wear this style?

Is it best to continue wearing this style and applying castor oil to ends or is this style just too damaging? Best thing about it is that I don't have to comb my hair.

i never have a problem with dryness...and i put castor oil on my ends. i only have a problem with dryness when i do not re-twist for days on end.

I give twistouts up a few months ago. My ends looked so mangled I thought they were all split. A lot of them were split, but others were just really dry, crinkley and scraggly. I've been keeping a straight style for the last two months or so and it does seem better for my hair, overall.

Crazy coinkidink...I have two day old flat-twists in my hair right now for a twistout, but this post made me remember those horrible ends :sad:.
I'm off to flatiron!! Thanks for reminding me :yep:

Maybe you could alternate regularly between twistouts and say, rollersets. I was in CA when I started wearing twistouts regularly back in January, and the air there was soooo dry. I know my problem was from not having the right mix of products to keep my hair moisturized from the dry air outside to the heat inside. So I kept trimming and trimming until I figured out the twistouts were not my friend.

So, all that to say, twistouts are a great choice with the right climate and products. Protecting the ends would be best, though. HTH

I give twistouts up a few months ago. My ends looked so mangled I thought they were all split. A lot of them were split, but others were just really dry, crinkley and scraggly. I've been keeping a straight style for the last two months or so and it does seem better for my hair, overall.

Crazy coinkidink...I have two day old flat-twists in my hair right now for a twistout, but this post made me remember those horrible ends :sad:.
I'm off to flatiron!! Thanks for reminding me :yep:

Maybe you could alternate regularly between twistouts and say, rollersets. I was in CA when I started wearing twistouts regularly back in January, and the air there was soooo dry. I know my problem was from not having the right mix of products to keep my hair moisturized from the dry air outside to the heat inside. So I kept trimming and trimming until I figured out the twistouts were not my friend.

So, all that to say, twistouts are a great choice with the right climate and products. Protecting the ends would be best, though. HTH

Sounds like you talked walked in my shoes!!
I live in LA and the air is verrryy dry. Sometimes I feel like the heat/dry air is just burning my hair and ends.

Wouldn't flat ironing be just as bad on your ends? Or does flat ironing seal the ends, whereas twistouts leave them exposed?

i think you all may be doing them wrong. try this:

after twisting each section with moisturizer and coating with castor oil, wrap a section around a satin-covered foam roller starting from the middle of the section so that the end is covered by a good portion of the section you are rolling.

if you have any problems after doing it that way, God bless you, my children.

Sounds like you talked walked in my shoes!!
I live in LA and the air is verrryy dry. Sometimes I feel like the heat/dry air is just burning my hair and ends.

Wouldn't flat ironing be just as bad on your ends? Or does flat ironing seal the ends, whereas twistouts leave them exposed?

Yea, I agree it could be, but what I've been doing is wash and DC about every 4 days. After washing I use a leave-in and rollerset, once dry, I use a coconut oil w/rosemary EO, on my scalp, wrap it overnite. The next day my scalp has devoured the oils, but my hair is nicely coated. At that point I flatiron to shape my homemade haircut. Over the next day or so, depending on how humid it is here in VA, I may add some kind of silicone to coat it.

I am in need of a touch up right now, but since I am on vacation, I haven't been doing squat to my hair, but washing and DC-ing. I am concerned about too much heat, but I just have to play it by "ear". I still have not a clue what is best for my hair.

after twisting each section with moisturizer and coating with castor oil, wrap a section around a satin-covered foam roller starting from the middle of the section so that the end is covered by a good portion of the section you are rolling.

I'm really trying to understand... bear with me.

How are my ends covered when I start in the middle of my hair?

Sounds like you're talking about individual twists, I've always done 5 or 6 flat-twists that look like cornrows, so the only ends I have are at the bottom.

How many twists do you do for your twistouts?

i part my hair in 3 sections going across...i put about 3-4 twists in each section...let's say each section is 8", i will start rolling the twist around the roller at 4" but going upward so that my ends are the last thing on the roller before rolling the remaining bottom 4". with the bottom 4", i would be covering the ends so that they are not exposed and soak up all the moisturizer/castor oil.

Back