Split Hairs

DatJerseyDyme

I've seen two hairs that have been split in the middle of the hair shaft in the last month. Both of these hairs were shedded, but I'm wondering if this could've happened because of the way I was treating my hair before (because nothing can repair split ends). And, I was also wondering what I could do about them? Am I supposed to check every inch of every hair on my head? Or should I just assume this is natural and go on about my business?

well how were you treating your hair before?
how long have you been doing your new hair care program?
are you permed or natural or transitioning

i would assume that hairs split all the way up the shaft mean that somehow the hair was damaged and/or you let your split ends go too long and the hair keep splitting. i figure if you can contain shedding and breaking through conditioning treatments you should not long have that problem. but i would also suggest that you do some "dusting" to every few months to play it safe.

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen two hairs that have been split in the middle of the hair shaft in the last month. Both of these hairs were shedded, but I'm wondering if this could've happened because of the way I was treating my hair before (because nothing can repair split ends). And, I was also wondering what I could do about them? Am I supposed to check every inch of every hair on my head? Or should I just assume this is natural and go on about my business?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently was exammining a shed hair and it was split right in the middle of the strand. I thought it was very strange because that was the only one. And it's not like it was split at the bottom all the way up to the middle. It was just right there in the middle. Weird

[ QUOTE ]

i would assume that hairs split all the way up the shaft mean that somehow the hair was damaged and/or you let your split ends go too long and the hair keep splitting. i figure if you can contain shedding and breaking through conditioning treatments you should not long have that problem. but i would also suggest that you do some "dusting" to every few months to play it safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I was curling about once a week, washing about once a week, relaxing at about 10 weeks, but I was using Keraphix EXCLUSIVELY as my conditioner.

I've been taking better care of my hair since April of last year.

My hair is relaxed.

The hais isn't splitting all the way up the shaft (I believe that is a myth anyway). It's ONLY split in the middle. Thanks for your input.

I am so glad u posted this because I had the same thing happen to me. The hair did not split at the bottom and continue to the shaft as they say. The hair just had a split in the middle part of the long strand and I don't use heat or anything rough. That is a dilemma to me...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I was curling about once a week, washing about once a week, relaxing at about 10 weeks, but I was using Keraphix EXCLUSIVELY as my conditioner.

I've been taking better care of my hair since April of last year.

My hair is relaxed.

The hais isn't splitting all the way up the shaft (I believe that is a myth anyway). It's ONLY split in the middle. Thanks for your input.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually my hair has split all the way up the shaft before and it was more than a few hairs at that.

but anyway sorry that my post wasn't helpful.

Don't get me wrong...EVERY reply is helpful!
smile.gif

My hair has been split in the middle. It seems odd, but I just figured I would continue to take care of my hair the best I can because I don't really see a reason for this other than maybe that was a particularly weak part of my strand. You all ever noticed that the hair gets thick and thin along the strand (going along with the curl pattern), I was thinking maybe it was the weaker thinner parts of the strand that sometimes do that, maybe even from chemicals (or heat, tension, rough handling, etc.) because those parts may not be as able to withstand it and split.

I'm just guessing here. But I have no idea how to eliminate this problem.

This happens to me too especially at the crown. For me I realized that the texture there is 2b as opposed t0 the texture of the rest of my hair 4a/4b. So clearly I shouldn't relax it the same way (wonder why any of my stylists never noticed
frown.gif
) Another thing I noticed was that the top of my hair was too close to the part where the air comes out in my Pibbs dryer and so was getting burned with every rollerset. Of course for me it wsa some very specific causes, but maybe you may be able to think of something you could be doing that could cause it.

Back