SPINOFF: Salons not servicing natural heads....

Mizani_Mrs

I just replied to a lady who posted concerning the topic of her going to a dominican salon and they told her they dont do natural heads and asked her if she wanted to have a relaxer. I gave what i know is an unpopular opinion, and i am curious if i am the only one who has this point of view? Basically what i said was that I had an eye-opening experience a week ago...I was 3.5months post relaxer and I decided to wash my hair. I had the most matted tangled hair i had ever dealt with...It took at least 35mins just to detangle with the conditioner in. then i had to rinse out the conditioner, apply leave-ins and carefully comb thru my hair while blowdrying. I got a relaxer immediately cause i surely did not want to have to handle all of that hair again. It was too much. And I started thinking that now i can understand why a salon would say they do not do natural hair. It is too much to handle unless you are properly trained and have the right products to soften the hair. A dominican salon is not trained to do so, and is it reasonable to expect them too? Especially since they operate at a cheap price? And they probably gotta get 3 heads done per hour to make good money. I think it is an acceptable request to expect naturals to get their hair done by a salon that specialize in natural haircare. But at the same token, i would be offended if a person was maybe like 6-10weeks post relaxer and they are demanding her to get a relaxer. At this point, the hair should be a little more difficult to handle but not that much and it should be acceptable. But someone who was 3months post like me....i would NEVER expect a salon to handle that tangle when i didn't even want to do it my darn self... Am i trippin? or do i have a valid point?

I disagree. Being natural can mean a little more elbow grease, but trained stylist are able to do it. IMO its just a matter of having/making time to do the extra things required for it. I have never been to a dominican salon, but I can understand them not having time if they're cranking out 3 heads an hour. But, as far as expecting someone to "handle that tangle"when you can't; you should expect it. Thats what they're paid for.

I'd expect a salon to handle whatever I walked in with, period. Although my natural hair is/was not tangled, matted hard to manage, etc. It was healthy, manageable and brilliant:grin: and took no longer than someone with relaxed hair. I think stylists, especially black stylists, should be properly trained to handle black hair. In cosmetology school they used to teach acrylic nails, foil highlights, shaving and all kinds of stuff you may never use but you had to know it anyway. I hear however, that Dominican salons are notorious for not wanting to handle natural hair.

As far as price, do I expect the same car wash at the $3 drive through as I do at the $20 spot? No. But I'M putting in the extra effort to justify the savings. I know that going in and I'm ok with that. But do I expect the same SERVICE in McDonalds as I do in Lawrys or the cheesecake factory, yes!

I don't know, if they choose not to, they choose not to. How would you feel if they said, ok we will do it, but its extra...similar to some charging extra for long hair. In addition, if they are that adament(sp) that they don't do it...would you really want them too??

I agree, it takes a longer time and if they already have appointments that are gonna be a certain time frame, why should they suffer and get behind with something that will take them forever,when they could have done someone else and breeze through. Their time is money just like everyone else. I think its their decision to do or not and I dont think its personal just business.

I wouldn't be upset by the salons right to choose who the cater too no matter what the reason. That is why the invented the sign "we have the right to refuse service" . Dominicians always try that you need a touch up statement if they see an inkling of new growth.:lachen:

Why's it assumed that because hair is natural that it is tangled? I've found that by washing using certain techniques, I can eliminate the tangels in my hair.

Here's my thing: I understand a salon charging MORE for natural hair due to the amount of time required to detangle and blowdry/straighten.

But to turn a customer away for choosing not to select a chemical process - ya know what? Yea that makes sense too.

What's wrong with a stylist simply saying "I don't do that?".

Fine with me...I'll take my business (and my money) elsewhere.

senimoni said:
I don't know, if they choose not to, they choose not to. How would you feel if they said, ok we will do it, but its extra...similar to some charging extra for long hair. In addition, if they are that adament(sp) that they don't do it...would you really want them too??

I agree with this. Although I would like to believe that a majority of salons are fine with doing natural hair, I know they aren't. It takes too much time etc etc.. It sucks because I want to be able to be pampered at times. But I have no problem with doing my own hair. In fact I prefer it.

Case in point-Last year I wanted to get my natural hair blow dried and flat ironed. Last June I went to a salon who deals with all types of textures. I got it done but they used a lot of heat and some random pieces stayed straight. During this past year I was thinking of going back to the salon to get the same service hoping that I would not damage my hair. Then I got to a point where I didn't want anyone dealing with my hair but me. I straightened my hair this past weekend (blow dry & flat iron) w/no damage. Lesson learned-In many cases if you want something done right do it yourself.

The Dominican salon experience in the other thread may be a bit distressing. But if they didn't want to do natural hair, then you probably saved a lot of hair that day. Find another salon who specializes in what u want or better yet become a pro at doing it yourself.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that my hair tangled more when washing when I was transitioning. I think it was the spiraling roots and then the straight hair, so as I was combing through the roots the straight hair would tangle around itself. I think transitioning hair or hair that isn't disturbed much (like hair in braids) is much more likely to tangle/mat than virgin natural hair. It could just be my experience with my own hair, but that is my 2 cents :)

nubianqt86 said:
I disagree. Being natural can mean a little more elbow grease, but trained stylist are able to do it. IMO its just a matter of having/making time to do the extra things required for it. I have never been to a dominican salon, but I can understand them not having time if they're cranking out 3 heads an hour. But, as far as expecting someone to "handle that tangle"when you can't; you should expect it. Thats what they're paid for.

ITA with everything in bold. Trained stylists, whatever the background, can do African American hair in many states (transitioning, relaxed, natural etc.). If they refuse, take their word for it, and accept that they have not been trained to do so.

I like to do my research, and I've found that the best stylists just want to make your hair more healthy. I've found one who happens to be Dominican and is an advocate for my long stretches (sometimes 6 months at a time). I've also been to Dominican salons that suggest I transition. If it's a good, reputable place, trust me, there will be minimal tangling issues!

I've had issues at salons when I'm 5 weeks post, so it's not whether your natural, it's the experience of the stylist in my opinion.

Well, my feelings would be hurt if someone told me that my hair was "difficult." But I would rather them tell me upfront that they don't feel comfortable doing my hair then to jack up my hair.
I've been lucky to find a dominican salon that WILL rollerset transitioning/natural hair. I give the wash lady and the stylist a big tip because I appreciate them taking time with my hair and not making me feel bad about having so much hair.

nubianqt86 said:

But is that what they are trained for? They honestly may not know how to do natural African American textured hair. And really, do you want someone who is hesitant about doing your hair, doing your hair?

My question is (especially to anyone who has been to cosmetology school), do they teach their students how to do natural african american textured hair? And if they didn't before, I can understand because most black women wore relaxers but now a lot of black women are wearing their natural textured hair. Are schools teaching them how to deal with someone who is transitioning, a texturizer, someone who is stretching? I'm going to assume that most schools don't.

Personally I wouldn't want someone doing my kind of hair if they are not familiar with it.

I've had my natural kinky hair done at a dominican salon once and I can see both sides of the situation. First, most dominican salons will do natural hair but it is assumed that only certain looser hair types will request the service. So basically the issue is whether they should be free to discriminate against certain hair types *ahem* when they have clearly offered to service natural hair. I have no problem with a salon refusing to do natural hair altogether but that is not the case at most dominican salons- they only catch a 'tude if you've got nappy hair. And I don't pay to hear people gripe about how awful my hair is in spanish.

My obviously self serving stance is, a dominican salon that states that they will do natural hair rollersets should rollerset natural hair free of griping like they've never seen kinky hair before (there are plenty of 4a/b dominicans). If you agree that to do natural hair (never distinguishing out hair types) then I have no problem insisting that they do my hair even though it's obviously way more work to detangle, part and smooth type 4 hair (trust me, it's a fair assumption). They shouldn't selectively be able to decide (of course, once you're already there and sitting there with wet hair) that they don't want to do your hair because it's "pelo malo". I know it takes way more time, that's why I'm paying more- if you don't think the extra fee is worth the extra effort, then don't agree to do natural hair at all. Afterall, it's not like they charge less when someone with super thin bone straight hair comes in.

If a salon doesn't have stylist trained in caring for my particular type of hair, (natural instead of relaxed), why get upset at them? Isn't that why there are natural salons catering to naturals?

No offense to anyone, but sometimes, I think people take the idea of equality too far. I would'nt have a surgeon who specializes in ear surgery operate on my stomach. Hair salons should be allowed to have specialties and turn down certain types of hair without people getting all up on their PC box.

FeelinIt said:
But is that what they are trained for? They honestly may not know how to do natural African American textured hair. And really, do you want someone who is hesitant about doing your hair, doing your hair?

Personally I wouldn't want someone doing my kind of hair if they are not familiar with it.
Say it AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN!!!! :up: :up: :up:

ETA: I would NEVER sit in a chair, entrusting my precious hair to someone who has bad feelings about it. Most likely she will jack up my hair, break up the ends and ruin any progress my hair has made. Is it worth it? Really?

Last edited:
Mizani_Mrs said:
Basically what i said was that I had an eye-opening experience a week ago...I was 3.5months post relaxer and I decided to wash my hair. I had the most matted tangled hair i had ever dealt with...It took at least 35mins just to detangle with the conditioner in. then i had to rinse out the conditioner, apply leave-ins and carefully comb thru my hair while blowdrying. I got a relaxer immediately cause i surely did not want to have to handle all of that hair again. It was too much. And I started thinking that now i can understand why a salon would say they do not do natural hair. It is too much to handle unless you are properly trained and have the right products to soften the hair.

Dealing with hair that is 3.5 months post relaxer with 2 very different textures, strength, thickness etc is not the same as styling natural hair. I've been on both sides of the fence. Combing/detangling hair with a lot of new growth can be a bear, but when I comb my natural hair, the comb glides through and my hair is soft and easy to comb---when combed properly. IMO, No comparison. Styling a head that is 100% natural is not the same as styling hair that is relaxed/texturized with a few inches of natural roots. JMO.

FeelinIt said:
My question is (especially to anyone who has been to cosmetology school), do they teach their students how to do natural african american textured hair? And if they didn't before, I can understand because most black women wore relaxers but now a lot of black women are wearing their natural textured hair. Are schools teaching them how to deal with someone who is transitioning, a texturizer, someone who is stretching? I'm going to assume that most schools don't.
At the cosmetology school I attended, we were taught how to perform natural african american hair techniques such as cornrows and flat twists. However, there was no instruction or even acknowledgement of transitioning, texturizing or stretching. What I know of natural hair is mainly through my own experience and that of my natural hair clients, as well as through independent research, and that may be true of other stylists who are not intimidated by natural hair textures.

Brownie said:
Dealing with hair that is 3.5 months post relaxer with 2 very different textures, strength, thickness etc is not the same as styling natural hair. I've been on both sides of the fence. Combing/detangling hair with a lot of new growth can be a bear, but when I comb my natural hair, the comb glides through and my hair is soft and easy to comb---when combed properly. IMO, No comparison. Styling a head that is 100% natural is not the same as styling hair that is relaxed/texturized with a few inches of natural roots. JMO.
Yeah dude I was gonna say this but yeah I agree with you Mizani_Mrs. They have the right to refuse service if they are working under time constraints or they don't know how to handle a certain type of hair. Seriously though, I've never seen a natural 4a/b Dominican lady. All the 4a/b Dominicans I see have a relaxer slapped up in it:lol:. If they don't know how to handle their own naps, how will they be able to handle anyone else's?

Last edited:
I believe:

1- salons should have the right to turn people away.

2- customers have the right to refuse service from a salon and go elsewhere.

It seems like a lot of peeps here are always talking about how tough transitioning/stretching/and being natural is here. Half of us barely even want to deal with our OWN hair! If that's the case, how do we expect someone else to want to deal with it? Especially at the same price and time as 'easier" heads. A lot of these shops are known for "doobies in an hour." Be realistic, it's gonna take a lot more to deal with kinkier types. It's not unfair, it's the truth, no matter how you want to word it.

I am not just speaking about naturals but I am also talking about post relaxer/unruly relaxed hair as well. The "they should be trained to know this" argument doesn't hold in my opinion. How many of us are here because a stylist wrecked havoc on our hair? How often is the uneducation/lack of skill of stylists discussed here on lhcf?? That's like saying magazines should feature more fat people because majority of America is fat. It just ain't happening no matter how it "should" be. We all know stylists aren't magicians.

I wouldn't get mad if a stylist said, they don't do natural hair. I would thank them in advance for telling me. I would much rather have someone in my head that knows what they are doing. Why get upset? No need!

I think I would rather know in advance b/c most times that I've been to a salon to have my natural hair blowdried, they don't detangle it with conditioner and only detangle after they rinse it out - pulling and pulling at my hair with the comb. They don't seem to have the patience. I don't get it.

When I had a stylist who had natural hair herself, I didn't experience her tugging and pulling at my hair.

Now, I'm completely afraid of going to ANY salon b/c even though when I do my own hair it is completely detangled, other people don't take the same care as I do and I just can't handle the stress of seeing all of my hair in their comb.

FeelinIt said:

I don't think handling natural hair is difficult, just requires a little more patience, atleast in my experience with my own. My stylist is natural (3c) and most of her clients are naturals. All she does is detangle, deep condition, blow dry, then flat iron. It's not different, just might take a little longer. But, I also admit that I have no idea what they teach at beauty school. If they are anything like the schools I've seen in Dallas, its more about styling than healthy hair practices. I don't blame anyone for not believing they have the ability to handle natural/stretched hair, I just think its more about not having the patience and wanting more ease in styling.

ETA: I don't exactly trust stylist to do my hair anyway, just the stylist I've been with for awhile, the natural.

Last edited:
Well, I sort of agree...to a certain point.

I can't imagine why I would take my well maintained, healthy natural hair and subject it to a cattle call mentality salon that uses high heat and tugging with a round brush to make it straight. It just seems like the risk of permanent damage would be too high. I would much rather take my business to a salon where the stylist is used to pressing/flat ironing natural hair with the intention of 100% reversion. Even as much as I love my stylist, her shampoo bowl and styling table are full of products that are "no nos" for my hair--sulfates, silicones, alcohol, heavy protein...

I just think we have to define our expectations for our OWN hair and developing a relationship with your stylist is key. My hair is not hard to detangle. At all. But, if you try to use a comb or brush (of any tooth size) on my dry coiled hair, you will think that my hair is extremely tangled and "unmanageable." So, either my stylist needs to be willing to accept instruction from me on products, detangling, styling, OR I need to find stylists that are knowledgable and comfortable in maintaining healthy loose natural hair (their own or other peoples).

Brownie said:

Ummm I don't know about y'all, but my transitioning was a breeze. I did not have all this tangling and matting that everyone seems to be talking about. :lol: I transitioned for 11 months and still was getting my hair blowdried and flat-ironed straight by my half Polish, half mexican stylist. Now that I am 100% natural this same stylish has been able to get it relaxer straight with a blow-dry and flat-iron. He has not had direct training on black hair, it was just something he dibbled and dabbled in as he met people along the way. His clientale is about 90% white, his black clientale is probably 2-3%.

I say this to say that if a stylist wants to learn how to do kinky hair they will learn how to do it. They choose to stay ignorant because they really don't want to be bothered with it in the first place and don't hold our hair type in the highest esteem as they do someone with straighter hair. If a Dominican salon doesn't do natural hair, don't get upset about it. Be glad that they were upfront about it, less they jack up your hair in the process. Keep your money in your pockets!

Last edited:
Last Thursday I went to a dominican salon, I told them ahead of time that my hair was natural (It isn't completely it is about 75% natural/25% texturized). She agreed to do my hair. Once the stylist/owner began to wash my hair she started telling me that I had a whole lot of hair and why wouldn't I get it permed. I told her that I didn't want my hair permed any longer.

She washed my hair so roughly and was snatching the comb through my hair. I thought I wouldn't have any hair left. I had to tell her that she would have to use a wide tooth comb. Anyway, it did take her quite some time to detangle through my hair (probably about 45 minutes). I didn't get the rollerset I just had her blow it out (that took her anothr 1 hour 30 minutes). She kept complaining that I had a whole lor of hair and that I should consider a perm or a texturizer.

In the end she charged me $55.00. I was very upset because she should have told me that the price was going to be more from the beginning. Anyway, I thought I was saving money by going there, but I spent more than I would have at my beloved Too Groovy salon so, I won't ever go there again. Oh yeah, I went to the salon based on another poster here that has natural hair and highly recommended this salon, maybe she has a softer looser texture than me.

MizaniMami said:
It seems like a lot of peeps here are always talking about how tough transitioning/stretching/and being natural is here. Half of us barely even want to deal with our OWN hair! If that's the case, how do we expect someone else to want to deal with it? Especially at the same price and time as 'easier" heads. A lot of these shops are known for "doobies in an hour." Be realistic, it's gonna take a lot more to deal with kinkier types. It's not unfair, it's the truth, no matter how you want to word it.

I am not just speaking about naturals but I am also talking about post relaxer/unruly relaxed hair as well. The "they should be trained to know this" argument doesn't hold in my opinion. How many of us are here because a stylist wrecked havoc on our hair? How often is the uneducation/lack of skill of stylists discussed here on lhcf?? That's like saying magazines should feature more fat people because majority of America is fat. It just ain't happening no matter how it "should" be. We all know stylists aren't magicians.
Girl, you told the truth!

Back