Spinoff: Relax or Press

blueabyss333

Hey all! I'm trying to decided whether or not I should relax or just press my nape and edges so that they can grow and grow stronger, while I relax the rest of my head. I don't want to use a flat iron, b/c I won't be wearing my hair out (bunning). Also, my edges and nape are REALLY short to catch. I'm leaning towards just pressing and relaxing at my April Fool's update. The problem is, I wash about every 2-3 days and I don't want to stop. I also don't want to have to press my edges and nape 3 times a week. My edges are getting really poofy and it looks like I don't know how to take care of my hair. What do you think I should do?:confused:

You may just need some Let's Jam, or Glaze. Something that will lay the hair down while making it appear to be straight, and it doesn't get hard like some gels do. I think other use Alovera Gel it's moisturizing and it helps naturals lay their hair down. Use something of that nature along with a satin or silk scarf and you should be good togo w/o having to press it out. HTH's

BeautifulWideEyes said:
You may just need some Let's Jam, or Glaze. Something that will lay the hair down while making it appear to be straight, and it doesn't get hard like some gels do. I think other use Alovera Gel it's moisturizing and it helps naturals lay their hair down. Use something of that nature along with a satin or silk scarf and you should be good togo w/o having to press it out. HTH's

Yes it does help! Aloe vera gel? Hmm, can I buy this at Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS? I like my faithful Megahertz, but I feel like I need something stronger. My hair is resistant lol.

ETA: Naturals, what else do you use to lay your hair down?

Last edited:
When I relaxed my hair last week I thought about not relaxing that area but I wanted to see how much progress I had in that area. I put some Proclaim Cholesterol on the ends and I kept the relaxer on for like 3 - 4 mins. I relaxed this area last and then I rinsed. It didn't come out very straight. I decided to just let this area hang free so I don't slick it up with any product.

Liz25_Ga said:
When I relaxed my hair last week I thought about not relaxing that area but I wanted to see how much progress I had in that area. I put some Proclaim Cholesterol on the ends and I kept the relaxer on for like 3 - 4 mins. I relaxed this area last and then I rinsed. It didn't come out very straight. I decided to just let this area hang free so I don't slick it up with any product.

What's your hair type? I don't think it looks right when I have straight hair and then kinks in the back. If I had type 3 hair then maybe, but not 4.

I bun too, and when my edges and nape get like that, I usually use either straight Elasta QP Mango Butter or Elasta QP Mango Butter that I mix with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. My edges/nape lay down and stay down:grin: I do this and gently brush the edges/nape for a couple of seconds and smooth into a bun. HTH

Last edited:
blueabyss333 said:
What's your hair type? I don't think it looks right when I have straight hair and then kinks in the back. If I had type 3 hair then maybe, but not 4.
I have 4 a/b hair type.

teressa9 said:
I bun too, and when my edges and nape get like that, I usually use either straight Elasta QP Mango Butter or Elasta QP Mango Butter that I mix with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. My edges/nape lay down and stay down:grin: I do this and gently brush the edges/nape for a couple of seconds and smooth into a bun. HTH

I forgot all about Mango Butter! You ladies talk about that all the time. Thanks, Teressa!

BeautifulWideEyes said:

This is exactly what I do! I'm a transitioner, and also on a no-heat challenge, so when I want to smooth down the edges and my nape for my bun I just use aloe vera gel (I occasionally mix it with a little shea butter or grease ;) i knoo!!) then wrap a scarf around it til I'm ready to go out. It gives me nice waves too!

Back