Some thoughts on tangling...

FemmedeJoi

In reading your posts, I often read that someone is blaming
a product or process for tangling of the hair, which only
seems to get worse, to the point that some just put the hair
in a bun and hope that it will work itself out.

I too had a lot of tangling until I took a careful look at the way I was handling my hair.

My first lesson came when I went to my hairstylist and an assistant shampooed my hair, which was quite long.
The hairstylist took one look at my hair and read that assistant the riot act right in front of everyone on a busy Saturday
whip.gif
! I felt sorry for the young lady, so I spoke up and said it probably wasn't her fault; my hair always tangled when I washed it at home. She politely but firmly insisted, "It dosen't tangle when I shampoo it." She then proceeded to re-shampoo. I noticed that she gently lifted the hair and set it down again laying it flat (almost like you would paint with a brush). It was free of suds and tangles in minutes. I then realized that I had been tangling my hair all that time. Needless to say, as long as I don't rush the shampoo, I don't end up with a head of tangled stands anymore.

Later, having read "Good Hair" by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner, I read the author's advice that people with longer hair should section it into four or more sections and work with it this way. That brush/comb it altogether is okay at the end, but it will wreak havoc on your hair and/or your nerves before you're done.
It seemed like it would take forever if I did my hair in sections. But, once I got used to it, I found it didn't take longer at all; probably less time because I didn't have to stop and try to untangle so often.
Her final advice was to comb from the ends and go up. It you encounter a tangle, slow down and work through it gently. This step allows me to do my tender-headed daughter's hair with nary a whimper.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
wave.gif

Anyone else have comments/advice?

Thanks for sharing. I also learnt' from this board about the value of wide tooth combs instead of a regular comb and using it after spreading conditioner on the hair and also using it WHILE RINSING hair under a shower head as the combo of the water and comb helps tangles fall out easier.

I also find applying shampoo or conditioner (esp) in the direction of hair from top to bottom is better than just swirling it in all directions which tends to contribute more to tangles.

It also helps if the products being used have detangling properties in them e.g I lean towards silicone and smoothing products which for me help tangles fall out easier e.g LUST.

I only go to my hair stylist for relaxer touch-ups. She shampoos my hair the same way that you described above. My hair doesn't get all tangled up when she does it.
smile.gif
At home, I only shampoo my hair in the shower. For me, this keeps the tangles at a minimum (not many at all). I love the way it works for me.

What I've learned on detangling is to wash hair in the shower. Gently massaging scalp and not piling hair on top of your head, just working down the length of your hair. Comb with a wide-tooth comb and treat your hair like fine lace, working from the ends to the roots. Helps alot!

Very good advice. Sometimes, though, certain products can cause a bad reaction in your hair. It depends on the individual. I try not to blame the product per se, it can spoil the product for everyone else. But my hair did not like my last hot oil treatment.
I am trying to be much more careful when washing. Thanks girl.

Sounds good. I've stopped piling my hair on top of my head as well. I've noticed less shedding and reduced tangling.

Back