So what do I use to Moisturize my hair???

shinyblackhair

I have only 2 products that I normally used to moisturize my hair: Pink Lotion and Perm Repair. Both of these contain mineral oil and petrolum fairly high on the ingredient list. Is it really all that bad to use them for now until I can afford to buy a more suitable alternative? And what would that alternative be? I NEED moisture in this cold dry Canadian climate, this central heat does and number on my skin and hair so not using a moisturizing hairdress is out of the question. Any suggestions??? Thanks. I will do a search as well.

Thanks again,
Nadine

check out the hair recipe board. it's right below the hair product exchange. i like sweetcocoa's shea butter/oil mix. the recipe is posted there.

If you want to use that, then use it. If that's all you can afford right now then go ahead and use it. What else can you do? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I don't know whether you're natural or relaxed or the length of your hair but this is what I do to moisturize my hair. I spray my hair with leave-in conditioner or water and then apply my oil or pomade or grease of choice SPARINGLY. The water is the actual moisturizer and the hairdressing can be used to seal the moisture in. Since you say those products have petrolatum.mineral oil high on the ingredient list, I suspect that they will do a good job of sealing in the moisture.

I hope this helps you until you find a better alternative. Unfortunately, I really don't have an alternative to suggest.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviine

Thanks so much! I will definitely check out the recipe board.

Daviine thank you too for your advice. I will definitely use the oil very sparingly until such time that I can figure out something else. Btw, my hair is relaxed.

Thanks again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are you hainv any problems in using these items now? If not, then: <font color="blue">If it ain't broke don't fix it. </font color> What works for one may not work for others, so if you are haivng good results with those products, then stick to them.

Well that I use is Cocoanut Oil and SheaButter mixed together~! /images/graemlins/grin.gif it REALLY works! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like the following: Elasta QP Mango Butter (very very nice), John Freida Relax Moisture Remedy, and Organic Root Stimulator Carot Oil. All do a very good job at moisturizing without weighing your hair down. The Elasta QP and John Frieda are especially good on new growth.

my top five moisturizers, in order of preference

1. hollywood beauty carrot creme (i love this too much and cheap too!)
2. s-curl activator (WOW!!)
3. profectiv megagrowth (v rich and also strengthenes)
4. elasta QP mago butter (yummy and rich but expensive, good though)
5. motions oil (OK and sofetens new growth with no grease factor but the others above are better)

I've read in so many websites that water is the best moisturiser. From my experience with natural hair, it's not. I find it makes my hair very curly and impossible to comb when wet and when dry.

I've found the best way to have soft managable hair is to condition wash.

I personally love Allways Oil Moisturizer. It's not too heavy and when my hair is really dry it does a good job restoring it. I only use IC's leave-in moisturizer after I wash.

londongrl, yes water is the best moisturizer. but better when you use it as a wash (in other words the whole hair is immersed in the stuff). so condition wash or not, it is the water that is moisturizing your hair! h2O is excellent.

I agree totally! Water is the best moisturizer for your hair. Be careful though of hard water or highly chlorinated water because they are very drying and can make your hair hard. My final rinse is always distilled water. For me I must always (if not shampooing) immerse my whole head(with distilled water if just rinsing) then leave in my moisturizing conditioner(I love PM Supercharged combined with Pantene Pro-V Smooth and Sleek and a little oil to seal in the moisture). For me just 'misting' doesn't work very well.

Back