So Tempted to Use Heat...HELP!!

Energee

Okay, I'm loving my hair right now. It's happy (lol..behaving well) and healthy and growing very well. I'm just at APL or a little above right now:yep:. I don't use heat at all. In fact, I have hidden my curling irons and flat irons. I don't use a blow dryer at all and that's hidden too. I do dry my hair under the Pibbs for rollersets weekly. Problem is that I wear my hair up ALL week. I only wear it down on wash days.

I love the protective styles and they are really helping me to retain my length and continue to grow healthy. My problem is that my ng starts to come in fast (I'm happy about that because it means my hair is growing) but at the same time I don't like the messy look of it.

I stopped using heat because I realized that heat was causing my hair to break before...when I kept my hair very short..I didn't care about that at all. Now that it's longer I definitely care a lot and don't want to abuse heat and start the cycle all over again.

Lately I've been so tempted to pull out my flat iron just for my roots though...LOL... Others not using heat...how do you fight the urge to use heat..... Just looking for some support:yep:.

I am unable to fight the urges to use heat. I luv my hair natural and i love it straightened and sleek. sow wee :blush:

Your hair looks great in your avatar. Very pretty!

I am like you. I had been fighting the urge for 9 months since starting the quest for length :spinning:. And I used heat for the first time yesterday. Mostly because everyone in my family (besides my hisband and me) were out of town for the weekend so I figured I would straighten it just to see how much it had really grown. Everybody I SAW said something!!! (Well, not eevrybody but ...) Enuf people made me feel great that I plan to have planned straightening sessions like some of the ladies here - to check length and enjoy all my hard work! All that to say - I think heat in moderation is JUST FINE! :grin:

Thanks Bre, that picture was from a couple of months ago. I'd just done my one of my first real rollersets and then wrapped it. Your natural hair is beautiful too. I loved that curly look you had in your siggy a few days back. You get to have the best of both worlds...you can go from straight to natural and back:yep:.

I know that heat isn't bad if used sparingly....but I KNOW myself..if I use it once..I'm going to start using it everyday...

Hi Energee,
I would say keep your eye on the prize. You have been progressing so well without heat and you are very happy with your hair right? Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your hair and it looks so nice and healthy in your avatar.:yep:

I'm natural, and I have been so tempted to straighten my hair because really, I don't even know my full length. But I do know if I straighten, I may fall off of the wagon, so for now I keep it braided for the wig challenge.

Maybe you can use heat when you hit your goal of APL, wear it out for a few days to enjoy your growth.

Hi Energee,
I would say keep your eye on the prize. You have been progressing so well without heat and you are very happy with your hair right? Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your hair and it looks so nice and healthy in your avatar.:yep:

I'm natural, and I have been so tempted to straighten my hair because really, I don't even know my full length. But I do know if I straighten, I may fall off of the wagon, so for now I keep it braided for the wig challenge.

Maybe you can use heat when you hit your goal of APL, wear it out for a few days to enjoy your growth.

Now that sounds like a plan. I never thought of that. It would be nice to treat myself once I reach my APL goal:yep:..which won't be long..but I may already be there but I can't really see my full length because I don't straighten...lol.

I am like you. I had been fighting the urge for 9 months since starting the quest for length :spinning:. And I used heat for the first time yesterday. Mostly because everyone in my family (besides my hisband and me) were out of town for the weekend so I figured I would straighten it just to see how much it had really grown. Everybody I SAW said something!!! (Well, not eevrybody but ...) Enuf people made me feel great that I plan to have planned straightening sessions like some of the ladies here - to check length and enjoy all my hard work! All that to say - I think heat in moderation is JUST FINE! :grin:

Okay, so your post has just really made me want to use heat now....LOL. I think I'll wait a bit though. I don't want to ruin my progress. I do believe heat in moderation is fine too but right now I guess I'm good.

Girl, I tried not to use the flat iron...but it was calling my name! :lachen: I compromised and rollerset my hair first, then used the flat iron to get the NG. I only do this rarely though. I use the flat iron on my entire length for length checks only so maybe once a month or so.

Ok, Im gonna be in the minority here...I dont think its bad using heat on your roots. As long as you dont do it all the time and you do it on clean hair, I dont see a problem. :ohwell: Your hair is looking very good, too. I definitely gotta agree with you on that one.:yep:

Now that sounds like a plan. I never thought of that. It would be nice to treat myself once I reach my APL goal:yep:..which won't be long..but I may already be there but I can't really see my full length because I don't straighten...lol.

Yes, I definitely believe in treating yourself in intervals. If you are still wanting to holdout in using heat, maybe you can wait until a holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas. If you think you are already at APL, you may be pleasantly surprised to find come December you are actually 2 inches beyond...now that's a Christmas gift:grin:

I plan on doing a rollerset in December and in January I plan on using the flatiron for my birthday and then that's it, no more heat. I'm just like you, if I start on the heat, I will want to use it more and more.

Back