So I Did the Saran Wrap Method...

A.Marie

I did the saran wrap method last night and must have done something wrong. My hair was not swinging and I did not see anything magical. My hair started sweating around the edges and at the back. Maybe 10 minutes was too long to stay under the dryer.

Yeah, sounds like you were under there too long!! 10 minutes isn't a lot of time, but maybe the temp was too high?

I do a pony wrap and then saran and I'm natural. I do ten minutes, but maybe your temp is too hot. Also only wrap once around and just a tiny amount of moisture like a dime size amount or less depending on your length and thickness.

OMG, I was just going to post that I tried this for the first time today! My hair came out like S I L K. Literally. If fell through my fingers when I was running my hands through my hair. When I went outside, the wind blew my hair all over the place, and it wasn't extremely windy, but that is how light my hair is. The shine is incredible as well. I am a convert and will do this method EACH time I wrap from now on!

I should mention that I am 3 wks post, but my hair didn't feel like this even when I left the salon :perplexed. FWIW, I left it on for 10 minutes as well. I hope you have better luck next time! :)

You were under there too long. I make sure to place the saran wrap down to at least my brow line to keep the heat from escaping. I have lots of pics of before and afters of my saran wrap method and what products I used. If you use too much of a heavy or oily product then your hair will be weighed down. Check out my fotki for before and after shots.

I got a relaxer three weeks ago. My hair didn't feel any different from when I just use the CHI iron. Maybe I sat under the dryer too long and I did double wrap a portion. I will try it again. Thank you ladies for respondiing.

I do a pony wrap and then saran and I'm natural. I do ten minutes, but maybe your temp is too hot. Also only wrap once around and just a tiny amount of moisture like a dime size amount or less depending on your length and thickness.

what's a pony wrap? i'm curious... :drunk:

This never comes out right for me and I loose tons of hair... And I sweat it out too under the dryer, lol.

So you ladies are saying don't wrap it too tightly and only go around 1x with the saran wrap? Maybe that was my problem... I thought I had to wrap it tightly to keep the hair laying down and I certainly wrapped more than once... I'm such a lush sometimes, lol.

I'm in a twist out right now and about 12 weeks post. Would I be able to use this after my waves fall out or would I need to rewash?

I'm using the Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Lotion (yeah that post got me) and it's really light (didn't want to wash my hair after I tried it) so how could I make this work without having to go back to the shampoo bowl?

This never comes out right for me and I loose tons of hair... And I sweat it out too under the dryer, lol.

So you ladies are saying don't wrap it too tightly and only go around 1x with the saran wrap? Maybe that was my problem... I thought I had to wrap it tightly to keep the hair laying down and I certainly wrapped more than once... I'm such a lush sometimes, lol.

Yeah, I wrapped mine tightly like it was a scarf. My head looked like it was covered in bubble wrap ready to be shipped off. :lachen::lachen:

It's somewhere between 5-10. I'd back off 3-5 minutes. And be careful not to wrap the saran wrap it too many times.
I was gonna say this too. I wrapped around too many times once and didn't get good results. Just do one layer of the saran wrap.

No you can wrap it tight just don't do but one layer of the saran wrap.

I got a relaxer three weeks ago. My hair didn't feel any different from when I just use the CHI iron. Maybe I sat under the dryer too long and I did double wrap a portion. I will try it again. Thank you ladies for respondiing.

Well the hair do in your siggy looks awesome.

So you ladies are saying don't wrap it too tightly and only go around 1x with the saran wrap? Maybe that was my problem... I thought I had to wrap it tightly to keep the hair laying down and I certainly wrapped more than once... I'm such a lush sometimes, lol.[/quote]

Nope...I did the exact same thing. I was wondering "where the swang at?"

What kind of saran wrap are yall using? Cheap off brand or actual REYNOLDS wrap? That roll is expensive isnt it? Just like aluminum foil.

I sooo tried this today after I straightened and I L O V E D it. I was so skeptical because sometimes I'd see pics or videos and can't tell the difference. Ladies, the saran wrap works! I sat under the dryer for 15 min after wrapping it. I didn't sweat or anything, and when I removed the saran, it was like silk and I'm 2 and a half years post (ok, i'm natural, it's just funny to say I'm 'post'). I had swang too. I'll be adding this to my straightening routine now. I'm kinda mad I didn't know this earlier. I would post pics, but I've already wrapped my hair for the night after I saran wrapped. I only took pics before. I'll have pics of what it looks like tomorrow when I hang out with the girls.

WOO HOO, FINALS ARE OVER!!!!

Last edited:
This is a helpful thread... I really need to practise my saran wrap technique! ITS TERRIBLE!
I didn't realise you had to wrap it only once and could sit under the dryer for just 5 minutes.
I'm going to try again the next time I straighten, which will be :look: 3 and a half months from now if I stick to my regimen.

OMG, I was just going to post that I tried this for the first time today! My hair came out like S I L K. Literally. If fell through my fingers when I was running my hands through my hair. When I went outside, the wind blew my hair all over the place, and it wasn't extremely windy, but that is how light my hair is. The shine is incredible as well. I am a convert and will do this method EACH time I wrap from now on!

I should mention that I am 3 wks post, but my hair didn't feel like this even when I left the salon :perplexed. FWIW, I left it on for 10 minutes as well. I hope you have better luck next time! :)

Give up the good with DETAIL!! What exactly did you do - what temps, what products, what process, how long, when - TELL ALL!

I was doing this before, I saw Macherie's Saran wrap video. I actually do mine with a silk scarf and you get the same results. I usually sit under the dryer for 3 minutes, anything beyond that is too much.

I do it for 10 minutes with a very small amount (dime) of moisturizer or serum (NTM serum works good) and I love the results even though I sweat a little my hair doesn't revert or anything.

Sounds like you may have used too much moisture??? Try again because this method helps me keep my hair moist all week. Sometimes I will do it a few days after washing just to freshen up.

i've never really gotten this to work for me. i always end up a little sweaty and with not as much shine and bounce that everyone talks about. i'll try it again though.

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone care to explain?
I know this thread is slightly old but my saran wraps never turn out all silky like:sad:.

I do a pony wrap when i trying to flatten and straighten the edges and all around the perimeter of my head...I add a tiny drop of moisturizer and put my hair in a loose pony...Then I just wrap the saran wrap around the perimeter of my head and sit under the dryer...I don't like wrapping my hair so I use this method instead...My edges are so soft and smooth afterwards:yep:

i've never really gotten this to work for me. i always end up a little sweaty and with not as much shine and bounce that everyone talks about. i'll try it again though.

Sometimes it depends on what products you used before such as leave-ins, serums, moisturizers, etc...If your hair is not light and bouncy before, wrapping it wont make that much of a difference because the hair is probably too heavy or has too much product...

Back