Snip! Snip! Snip!

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
Is what I heard this morning at the salon. My faithfull beautician took out her trusty scissors and went to work, much to my dismay...I relaxed today after about 9 weeks post so I knew I had some new growth, but I dusted about 2 weeks ago...Anyway this is how the conversation went..
ME: (eyes scissors) What you doing with those, girlfriend?
HER: Im getting ready to TRIM your ends
ME: Now dont cut too much, Im trying to get it to grow
HER: (laughs) Im not, Im just trimming so it will grow faster

*sigh* Here are some pics I just took at work,please overlook me in the lab jacket and the cluter behind me.They are not the best pics,I took them on my Instinct. You be the judge and tell me if Ive lost a couple inches or not.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Is what I heard this morning at the salon. My faithfull beautician took out her trusty scissors and went to work, much to my dismay...I relaxed today after about 9 weeks post so I knew I had some new growth, but I dusted about 2 weeks ago...Anyway this is how the conversation went..

*sigh* Here are some pics I just took at work,please overlook me in the lab jacket and the cluter behind me.They are not the best pics,I took them on my Instinct. You be the judge and tell me if Ive lost a couple inches or not.
wtf...you should've told her with a firm voice "NO TRIM TODAY'' and then proceeded to watch her like a hawk

I'm sorry but from the pics that looks like a cut NOT a trim... and I agree with Jas123 - "should've told her with a firm voice "NO TRIM TODAY''"

But your hair looks beuatiful and healthy nonethelss!

I'm sorry but from the pics that looks like a cut NOT a trim... and I agree with Jas123 - "should've told her with a firm voice "NO TRIM TODAY''"

But your hair looks beuatiful and healthy nonethelss!

Thanks..I was afraid of it being cut..Im still barely APL, right...judging by the second pic? I'll take some better pics this evening and post..

Thanks..I was afraid of it being cut..Im still barely APL, right...judging by the second pic?

Considering it's not the best angle, it looks to me your bordering APL in the second pic but prior to your cut it looks like you were full APL. So do you feel like your ends needed trimming? I swear HD are always trying to do EXTRA stuff to our hair that is not needed!

She needs to be :whipped:for that!!! That's why I'm steering clear of the salons for awhile, because my stylist is scissor happy as well...Always talking bout' "Let's cut your ends to promote growth" ....naw you staggering my growth:sad:.

I didnt think my ends needed trimming because, like I said, I dusted prior to going to the HD..Im really concerned about what she might say the next time she tries to "trim". She brought my hair back from the dead, and I owe her alot but the growth aint happening.. BTW, I think you are right about the observation, barely scraping APL now.:ohwell:

I go to a salon monthly for an "in-salon" DC. Yes, I can (and do) give myself DCs at home...but I go there just to be "pampered" a little. Every single time I go,the stylist is like, "I know you're growing it out, but it will grow a little better if you get the split ends trimmed."

WHOA! Pump ya brakes, Ma...
I politely but firmly tell her, "No thank you."..and my tone let's her know that we will not be discussing shears anymore during this visit.

...then I politely take myself home.
...and trim MY OWN ends (thankyouVERYmuch).

I have had one scissor happy stylist too many in my life, and now I'm a DIYer.

Last edited:
It looks like a cut and I feel your pain because this happened to me 2 weeks ago. It looks nice and even though and it will grow back. I'm using growth aids to get back what I lost and I vow never to let this happen again because it's a big setback. These stylists have issues.

I just dont like how ppl be pulling the snippers out and stuff like you asked for it. What if you didnt have the money for the ends to be trimmed or cut, she would have been doing that for free. Dont give me anything I dont ask for....

I just dont like how ppl be pulling the snippers out and stuff like you asked for it. What if you didnt have the money for the ends to be trimmed or cut, she would have been doing that for free. Dont give me anything I dont ask for....
I definitely think that there should be some Ask Before Trim rule in place.

Your hair looks great. It doesn't look like that much was taken off. I have a stylist that trimmed my ends ($15 on top of $60) on her own, without me asking, the time before last. I was MAD. The next time I went, she asked if we were trimming. I told her that I was okay. She started going on about how my ends looked bad. A friend of mine is a stylist. She knows my goals and I've asked her to do my dusting for me. She only charges $5.

Did you have to pay for that extra trimming? I feel that we have to tell them NO and go into convulsions for them to understand that we are serious about our goals.

I definitely think that there should be some Ask Before Trim rule in place.

Rule or not, you need to be clear about what you want the moment you sit in the seat. You just let that woman cut off all your progress, knowing that you had just dusted and that you didn't want a trim in the first place. She gave you a hair cut.

Next time, let her know from the beginning. I don't want any scissors near my head. If you try to trim my hair I will leave. And, if she doesn't listen you need to actually get up and leave. Get a backbone and demand what you want, you are paying her for a service not for her to do what she wants to do.

A lot of times we have posts about people going through the same thing so it makes no sense to me why you would let her trim your hair even though you had dusted.:nono:

IMO that conversation should never have taken place. You see her with the scissors, you tell her I don't NEED a trim. You don't have to explain nada to her, after all you're paying her for her service. Just because she's been your stylist for a million years should not factor into what YOU want. and that is for her not to trim your ends. I think we give too much power to these stylists for them to think they can do whatever to her hair and charge for it.

But the trim looks good and your hair will grow, okay mama.:grin::bighug:

Rule or not, you need to be clear about what you want the moment you sit in the seat. You just let that woman cut off all your progress, knowing that you had just dusted and that you didn't want a trim in the first place. She gave you a hair cut.

Next time, let her know from the beginning. I don't want any scissors near my head. If you try to trim my hair I will leave. And, if she doesn't listen you need to actually get up and leave. Get a backbone and demand what you want, you are paying her for a service not for her to do what she wants to do.

You're right..I should have said something..I just dont want it to be where the next time I come in she acting funny because I turned down the trim

A lot of times we have posts about people going through the same thing so it makes no sense to me why you would let her trim your hair even though you had dusted.:nono:

IMO that conversation should never have taken place. You see her with the scissors, you tell her I don't NEED a trim. You don't have to explain nada to her, after all you're paying her for her service. Just because she's been your stylist for a million years should not factor into what YOU want. and that is for her not to trim your ends. I think we give too much power to these stylists for them to think they can do whatever to her hair and charge for it.

But the trim looks good and your hair will grow, okay mama.:grin::bighug:
We do give to much power, I pretty much handed her my hair and said,"Here, do what you think should be done"

Your hair looks great. It doesn't look like that much was taken off. I have a stylist that trimmed my ends ($15 on top of $60) on her own, without me asking, the time before last. I was MAD. The next time I went, she asked if we were trimming. I told her that I was okay. She started going on about how my ends looked bad. A friend of mine is a stylist. She knows my goals and I've asked her to do my dusting for me. She only charges $5.

Did you have to pay for that extra trimming? I feel that we have to tell them NO and go into convulsions for them to understand that we are serious about our goals.
The trim is always included in the wash or relaxer, she just chooses when she wants to do it..<---I should be choosing

Thank you ladies for all your support and honesty...I really appreciate it...No more trims for awhile I can promise you that much.

Last edited:
Considering it's not the best angle, it looks to me your bordering APL in the second pic but prior to your cut it looks like you were full APL. So do you feel like your ends needed trimming? I swear HD are always trying to do EXTRA stuff to our hair that is not needed!

She needs to be :whipped:for that!!! That's why I'm steering clear of the salons for awhile, because my stylist is scissor happy as well...Always talking bout' "Let's cut your ends to promote growth" ....naw you staggering my growth:sad:.

I agree with the bold.

That's what turned me off from trimming. I went to a salon in Philly and they insisted on trimming my hair. I go to another salon in NY about 2 weeks later and they're saying I need a trim as well. I was like, "I'm not feeling that. I think you people just like to trim for trim's sake."

I agree with this entire post, especially the bolded. I don't understand why this is still happening. :ohwell:

It looks like your hair is the same length as it is in your siggy, so she did cut two months worth of growth. Just use this as a learning experience and as MSA said, demand what you want next time (if there is a next time). :yep:

Don't worry it still looks healthy and you didn't loose alot. If your beautician cut your hair because you had split ends...that is one thing but to cut it so it will grow faster? we all know makes no sense. I would have to find a new stylist. Yesterday before my stylist cut my hair she went over the entire head and she "CONSULTED" with me about what she was going to do and I gave her the green light to do it. I would have to find a new stylist on that one. Or if she does good work... I would let her relax but go to someone else to cut. But you didn't loose alot of lenght you will be at your hair goal in no time!

I didnt think my ends needed trimming because, like I said, I dusted prior to going to the HD..Im really concerned about what she might say the next time she tries to "trim". She brought my hair back from the dead, and I owe her alot but the growth aint happening.. BTW, I think you are right about the observation, barely scraping APL now.:ohwell:
you don't owe her considering she is being compensated for the job she was (i'm assuming) paid to do.
i understand being grateful, but that being said, your goal is growing your hair out (again i'm assuming since you're on this hair board).
also, please be mindful that sometimes beauticians may be a little jealous of the length you're retaining (even if she assisted you in said growth)and may want to do a "slight" trim to retard your progress... i'm not saying this is this case for your beautician, but you have to be mindful of this
jmo

OP, it looks like she cut about an inch. I'm sure you'll gain it back in about 8 weeks, but don't let her cut anymore.

I know how you feel though because when I had relaxed hair it was a 5 minute argument with stylists because they would refuse to take NO for an answer. I'd win probably 75% of the time.

You really do have to stand firm in not wanting a trim when you go to the salon. I really think that stylist trim for the purpose of the style!

A few months back I went to the Egyptians for a blowout and the stylist wanted to CUT my hair so that it would "look right." I was going to allow him to "trim" but he told me that I needed a cut, not a trim! I kindly told him no! He wanted to feather my hair... and layers make a feathered style "look right." That wasn't even the style I wanted! Needless to say... I didn't get a trim/cut and I didn't care that my hair didn't feather right! Stupid style didn't last 24 hours anyway!

Like I said... stand firm! If you don't want a trim/cut and know that you don't need it, don't allow them to do it!

Your hair does look nice and it'll grow back before you know it!

Now that I am done yelling at the computer (as it were that stylist - LOL! :lachen:), I can say that I understand how you feel. I had the exact same experience with my stylist of three years. She really did nurse my hair back to health from Feb. 2006 to Feb. 2007, but I coudn't get past NL. I understood that I needed to trim at first because my ends were chemically damaged, but 12 months later when my hair was healthy? This woman was cutting off all of my progress and more. Did I mention that for some strange reason, all of her clients have shoulder length hair, yet her own daughter has WL hair? I'll bet you my paycheck her daughter must not be letting her anywhere near her WL hair with scissors. :nono:

Long story short...I still go to this stylist for relaxers only. She IS NOT under any circumstances allowed to trim my hair because she betrayed my trust long ago, and I don't want to join the "SL or shorter for Life" club. Like you, I was worried about her tripping, and she did proceed with the whole "I'm the expert" speech, but after the third time that I went for a relaxer and said "no trim," she stopped tripping. She still asks me every single time if I need a trim, and I smile and say, "no thanks!" Might I add that she has recently been saying nice things about my hair like "you have the hair you've always dreamed of now" and "when I first met you, you barely had any hair, now you have a head full." I'm too kind to say, "yeah, it's growing because I don't let you cut it!" but I know that's the truth.

Last edited:
Don't worry it still looks healthy and you didn't loose alot. If your beautician cut your hair because you had split ends...that is one thing but to cut it so it will grow faster? we all know makes no sense. I would have to find a new stylist. Yesterday before my stylist cut my hair she went over the entire head and she "CONSULTED" with me about what she was going to do and I gave her the green light to do it. I would have to find a new stylist on that one. Or if she does good work... I would let her relax but go to someone else to cut. But you didn't loose alot of lenght you will be at your hair goal in no time!

This is exactly what I do. My regular stylist is banned from trimming my hair. I started going to a Supercuts place for trims because it's only $12 they do exactly what you want and are used to trimming. This year, I'm going to try dusting rather than trimming so I can continue reaching my goals.

You lost at least an inch.

My hairstylist is getting a smackdown in two weeks because she cut my mom's APL hair to SL without permission (four weeks ago she cut it from BSL to APL with permission). I think she just got tired of dealing with my mom's hair.

I'm just not going back to her. I am doing a 17-week stretch because she used a normal relaxer instead of a mild relaxer on my hair the last time and it overprocessed my hair (this plus she used three different relaxers the last three times she relaxed my hair). So, I am done with her. I am trying to get my mom to see the light!

You lost at least an inch.

My hairstylist is getting a smackdown in two weeks because she cut my mom's APL hair to SL without permission (four weeks ago she cut it from BSL to APL with permission). I think she just got tired of dealing with my mom's hair.

I'm just not going back to her. I am doing a 17-week stretch because she used a normal relaxer instead of a mild relaxer on my hair the last time and it overprocessed my hair (this plus she used three different relaxers the last three times she relaxed my hair). So, I am done with her. I am trying to get my mom to see the light!

From BSL to SL in 4 weeks! Heck no! :nono:

From BSL to SL in 4 weeks! Heck no! :nono:

That's what I said. When I saw that crew cut it just solidified my belief that we needed to part company because had that been my hair I would have had to catch a case! It's bad enough that she tried to tell me how stretching relaxers was bad then after she put a relaxer on my 11-week stretched hair turns around and tells me what great condition my hair was in.

it looks like she chopped off almost 2 inches. woooow i'd be mad. i always tell them to trim 1/4" because i know they will wind up trimming 1/2". bust out the ruler if you have to! i would.

i hope you grow back your length soon enough! i guess the only thing you can be glad for is that you have nice looking ends.

That's what I said. When I saw that crew cut it just solidified my belief that we needed to part company because had that been my hair I would have had to catch a case! It's bad enough that she tried to tell me how stretching relaxers was bad then after she put a relaxer on my 11-week stretched hair turns around and tells me what great condition my hair was in.

Yes, I would RUN away from those people.
Also, it's so disappointing to know that when stylists haven't expereinced something (like stretching), they automatically tell you it's a bad decision. Mine griped about me stretching, but she also compliments me on my growth.

Back