Silk Amino Acid and Henna

HopefulOne

Silk Amino Acid (SAA) makes henna and other Indian powders very easy to rinse out. I am a newbie, so ignore this thread if you already know this. I bought SAA from http://lotioncrafters.com. I bought the 32 oz size for $31.95. The shipping was very reasonable and very fast. It is liquid and I don't think it has a strong smell. I added two capfuls to my henna/alma/shikakai/brahmi and olive oil mixture. I was able to rinse my hair completely in about 5 minutes. I conditioned it for about 2 minutes with some Dominican conditioner that I had enriched with SAA. If you have trouble rinsing out Indian powders, I strongly recommend adding SAA to your mix. In fact, I added SAA to all my conditioners and skincare products including my mascara. I love it, love it, love it. My eyelashes look great. Thank you Sareca.

I found my haitian Palm oil (huile palmaskriti)

I bought 1PT for $5!

Now...how do I use it???

lol

Re: I found my haitian Palm oil (huile palmaskriti)

I bought 1PT for $5!

Now...how do I use it???

lol

Where did you get a pint for $5??????? Please share. I added a 2 capfuls to all my conditioners, leave-ins and skincare products. I added a couple of drops to my mascara. I added 2 capfuls to my henna mix. I love it. I repeat, share your $5 source:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

Silk Amino Acid (SAA) makes henna and other Indian powders very easy to rinse out. I am a newbie, so ignore this thread if you already know this. I bought SAA from http://lotioncrafters.com. I bought the 32 oz size for $31.95. The shipping was very reasonable and very fast. It is liquid and I don't think it has a strong smell. I added two capfuls to my henna/alma/shikakai/brahmi and olive oil mixture. I was able to rinse my hair completely in about 5 minutes. I conditioned it for about 2 minutes with some Dominican conditioner that I had enriched with SAA. If you have trouble rinsing out Indian powders, I strongly recommend adding SAA to your mix. In fact, I added SAA to all my conditioners and skincare products including my mascara. I love it, love it, love it. My eyelashes look great. Thank you Sareca.

So, am I the only one who thinks it smells like dead worms??? :lachen: Thanks for the tip, though, Hopeful, because it's time to henna again, and I'll remember to add my SAA!!!

What is SAA supposed to do? Does it have some additional benefit besides easy rinsing?

Hydrolyzed from pure silk fibers, silk amino acids have a lower molecular weight than silk protein powders and are penetrating and moisturizing to skin and hair. Our Silk Amino Acids have been decolorized and deodorized -- making them an exceptional addition to even the most delicate of formulations. Recommended for formulating shampoos, conditioner, hair treatments, bodywash, body lotions, cleansers, toners and facial moisturizers, mascara, lipstick and color cosmetics.
Recommended Usage Level: 1-2.5%
Specific Gravity: 1.06
Appearance: Clear to Light Yellow Liquid with little odor
INCI: Silk Amino Acids

Because of the low molecular weight of the molecules, they penetrate the surface layers of the skin and are a naturally hydroscopic material, which has excellent moisture binding qualities to condition the skin.
Silk amino acids (also called silk proteins and sericin) are obtained by the hydrolysis of silk - a natural protein fiber. The soft lustrous thread obtained from the silk cocoon woven by the silkworm is so converted and used in cosmetic preparations.
Silk amino acids (silk proteins) are used to help prevent dehydration of the skin.

I love it and my hair feels differently after one day.

Hydrolyzed from pure silk fibers, silk amino acids have a lower molecular weight than silk protein powders and are penetrating and moisturizing to skin and hair. Our Silk Amino Acids have been decolorized and deodorized -- making them an exceptional addition to even the most delicate of formulations. Recommended for formulating shampoos, conditioner, hair treatments, bodywash, body lotions, cleansers, toners and facial moisturizers, mascara, lipstick and color cosmetics.

Because of the low molecular weight of the molecules, they penetrate the surface layers of the skin and are a naturally hydroscopic material, which has excellent moisture binding qualities to condition the skin.
Silk amino acids (also called silk proteins and sericin) are obtained by the hydrolysis of silk - a natural protein fiber. The soft lustrous thread obtained from the silk cocoon woven by the silkworm is so converted and used in cosmetic preparations.
Silk amino acids (silk proteins) are used to help prevent dehydration of the skin.

How are people using this on the skin? Directly or in a product?

So it's a protien 'treatment' of some sort? Or a moisturizer? Or does it work with protiens/moisturizer to make them better/more effective? Does it make your hair hard like a protien does?

I'm intrigued, but I'm trying to pin down just 'what' it does to see if it would be something I even need to consider...

So it's a protien 'treatment' of some sort? Or a moisturizer? Or does it work with protiens/moisturizer to make them better/more effective? Does it make your hair hard like a protien does?

I'm intrigued, but I'm trying to pin down just 'what' it does to see if it would be something I even need to consider...

I consider it a moisturizer that is composed of silk protein. It is not hard. It softens your hair and makes it silky. I put it in all my existing products to increase the moisturize level of the product. There are threads on SAA, give it a search

Well at least you were able to place the hmm scent it's been bugging me for weeks now :spinning:

Thanks for the tip HopefulOne :yep: It will be warming up in March and it's time for the henna-ing to commence

OT: What happened to your bathing suit shot. It was beautiful. I think I am supposed to say no homo here.:lachen:

I consider it a moisturizer that is composed of silk protein. It is not hard. It softens your hair and makes it silky. I put it in all my existing products to increase the moisturize level of the product. There are threads on SAA, give it a search

i can see that..even though it is a protein. CHI Silk Infusion has SAA and it makes my hair very, very soft. if i can get some for $5, i will try this!

Oooh, thank you so much..... I think I will...

I use silk amino acids to strengthen, soften, and moisturize my hair - it's wonderful.

Where did you get a pint for $5.00? That's what I want to know.

I don't know where to get it for 5 bucks but I agree with all who said it stinks. Anything that smells that bad better have lots of benefits. Fish, it smells like fish to me.

From what I've learned, silk amino acid is all protein, made from the silk worm cocoons. It strengthens the hair when added to hair products but does not make the hair hard like protein treatments and protein conditioners can. My hair is protein sensitive and I've been using it in my conditioners--so far, so good. :yep: Also, I don't see how SAA moisturizes the hair but it may help seal in moisture, just like wearing a silk scarf keeps hair moisturized, even though the scarf is all protein.

These are interesting!!

Looks like the peptide & the liquid can be interchanged in usage-
just depends on your preference of powder or liquid.

The powder looks like it's used more for dusting (like to set make-up, etc).

I may order some peptide & powder just to keep on hand.

Thanx!

This manufacturer offers silk amino acids:

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/silk-amino-acids-p-555.html

...silk petide:

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/silk-peptide-p-556.html

...and silk powder:

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/silk-powder-200-mesh-p-557.html

What are your thoughts on the difference between these products? The PJ in me is inclined to buy them all, but I'll show some restraint and consult with you before I burn an unnecessary whole in my wallet. :perplexed

Okay, I have seen this site. Lotioncrafters is cheaper than this with better shipping options. I have done my homework and Lotioncrafters is the cheapest I have seen unless Taino or someone else comes back with a source for $5 a pint.

Okay, I have seen this site. Lotioncrafters is cheaper than this with better shipping options. I have done my homework and Lotioncrafters is the cheapest I have seen unless Taino or someone else comes back with a source for $5 a pint.

Thank you. I'm going with Lotioncrafters, then. :drunk:

Thanks for the tip HopefulOne! I just PM'd Taino, so hopefully, she'll give up her source. I'm going to wait a while and see if she gets back to me. I will respond when she does!

I just purchased a pound of SAA from Lotioncrafters. How much SAA do you ladies recommend that I add to my bottle of conditioner?

Thanks. :yawn:

I received some a month ago or so, but in powder form. I added it to water, and I spray it in my hair, and brush onto my eyelashes. I didnt notice too much with the hair concoction...maybe I put too little, but my eyelashes are growing like crazy..and it smells sooo fishy

From Taino. I guess she got mixed up. Sadly, she didn't get a pint for $5:nono:
Taino said:
I messed up BIG time. I posted incorrectly and didn't even notice it until NOW! I need to locate that thread and let them know this is wrong. I meant to post about an oil i purchased....oh brother :wallbash:

cocoberry10 said:
Hi Taino:wave::

I was wondering where you bought silk amino acid for $5. I am going to hold off buying it until I hear back from you. I hope all is well. Thanks!

Back