Silicones, Sulfates and Clarifying (Wha..?)

CourtneyD

This newbie read on this site and others that it takes harsh sulfates to remove silicones (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html) and the clarifying shampoos has the sulfates. But sulfates are bad and strip your hair. But if you deep conditioner afterwards, it's okay, but on the other hand, the conditioner has silicones so you'll have to clarifying again (1/x month?) to remove them, but constantly stripping is bad, but on your third hand... :wallbash:

Geesh, my hair idols like Sylver2 and SistaSlick (http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/regimen-building-pr/) use silicone and sulfate products and their hair is gorgeous! (drool) I guess I should do what's best for my hair and not compare to other people. Funny thing is that my hair seemed to like silicones (silicone was way down the ingredient list) and my hair likes the silicone/sulfate free products too, except the leave ins seem to be watery and not too creamy (BWC product). Honestly, my hair just likes that I'm finally taking care of her, period. :lick:

What are your thoughts on silicones, sulfates and clarifying once a month vs. just avoid these ingredients altogether?

I don't have much hair, lol. But I find co-washing daily to every other day works best for me. I was trying to avoid cones but the conditioner I managed to find that works for me has *ding ding ding!* Dimethicone. :) SO! To keep my conditioner from just sitting on my hair and doing nothing, I wash with a clarifying shampoo (which has sulfates) to keep this from happening. It's been over a month since my BC, but I've had to do this a couple of times when I was figuring out what worked for me (I missed the ingredients on a couple bottles). It's very drying to my hair though, so I don't see myself doing this more than once a month.

It seems almost everything...with the exception of some alcohols, mineral oil, and petrolatum...have their uses, but you have to be very infrequent with them. I'm very quick to put something with petrolatum or mineral oil back on the shelf bc I know my hair doesn't like them. It's already dry, so putting something that not only blocks moisture, but doesn't give any itself makes my hair cry out with any moisture it had left. :P

HTH

My hair definitely FELT better with dimithecone, but it's all that clarifying that bothers me. I might go back to it, though. Thanks!

I tend to avoid silicones, but on days like today, when I'm rollersetting and flat-ironing my hair, I'm using SMB to prevent reversion, which is pure silicone. When I wash on Wednesday, I'll just add baking soda to my shampoo (CON, sulfate free original version), and that has always clarified my hair without having to compromise on that end. I didn't even know what sulfates were until CON changed its formula; I bought up enough to last for a while.

On a regular basis, I don't use sulfates or silicones at all, so clarifying isn't really an issue. I use Aubrey Organics, so cones in my deep conditioners don't worry me either. I clarify once every six weeks when I do my ApHogee treatment (I don't care what people say about excess protein on natural hair, my hair LOVES this stuff), but not otherwise. HTH.

The shampoo doesnt have to be a clarifying shampoo to get cones out of the hair...it just has to have sulfates. In fact, some cones are water soluble, so you can attempt to only buy products with those cones in them Some cones can be washed out by Cocobetaine, which is less harsh than sulfates, and usually the cleansing agent in "sulfate free" shampoo. I only use a clarifying shampoo when i feel like i've used A LOT of stuff on my hair.

I avoid cones and sulfates all together. My hair just seems to do better without them...especially since I found the right products. As another poster said, though, I use cones when I flat iron (which is VERY rare now). I think it's almost impossible to truly protect your hair from direct heat without using cones.

Do what's best for your hair. A lot of folks hair loves cones.

I'm on a low cone reggie now, but when I did use cones, it wasn't a big deal. I just clarified once a month to make sure I didn't get build up. If your hair likes cones, use em! :grin:

(Elucence, Aubrey Organics and Kenra make sulfate-free clarifying poos :yep: )

I use cones all the time. I clarify every month to 6 weeks and I wash every week. I haven't had any problems yet.

Courtney: I too try to clarify at least once/twice a month to remove product buildup from Co-Washing and also the build up from all the other products I tend to use throughout the week.

Right now I am using AO Green Tea Clarifying Poo and I also have Nexxus Aloe Rid and Avalon Lemon Clarifying Poo w/shea butter and babbasu oil. I probably have some basic Sulfate 'Poos in my Stash as well.:blush:

I can usually tell by the way my hair feels, that I need to remove product buildup. And since I am phony bunning for the Summer and using all kind of Gels, Serums, Leave-Ins and product to get my hair to lie flat, I may have to clarify once a week. Because, I am sure many of those products contain "cones":ohwell:

It is all going to depend on the "Feel" of my Hair tho'.:look:

IMO.....There are no evil hair ingredients ( unless you have an allergy)....Everything has a purpose, you just can't over do it. Just look at all of the ladies here with beautiful long hair....many of them with the best hair IMO do/use some of the nono products and techniques.

Silicones have there purpose but alot of people use too many of them in conjuction with other products that have similar functions. Also, I think silicones have a rep of being like super glue which is not true. Silicones don't stay on the hair forever. Many silicones are voilate just as oils are so they eventually will chip off of the hair. Also, silicones can be charged so that they bind tighter to the damaged portions of your hair and not the whole hair shaft. There are also ingredients in shampoos and conditioners that regulate the rate of adhesion as well.

Sulfates.....I do think sulfates can be irritating for some people. Everyone has a different level of skin sensitivity. However, I personally think that alot of people also use too much shampoo and don't adequately rinse their hair enough before they start shampooing. Some non sulfate products are not automatically better either. It depends alot on over all formula and your shampooing technique. On the other hand, if you are having chronic irritation issues, it is time to try a non sulfate shampoo. One reason why I think some people shy away from non sulfate shampoos is that many people say their hair felt stripped after using them. Feeling stripped and actually being stripped are two different things IMO but I won't go into that. End the end, just find a shampoo you like and just roll with it.

Clarifying should be done on a as needed basis. Don't plan out your clarifying in advanced. Just do it when you hair tells you too. Silicones are not the only things you have worry about building up especially if you are cowashing.

I'm on a low cone reggie now, but when I did use cones, it wasn't a big deal. I just clarified once a month to make sure I didn't get build up. If your hair likes cones, use em! :grin:

Thanks for this info! My hair loves cones but dislikes sulfate.

Thanks for this info! My hair loves silicones, but dislikes sulfate. I can't clarify because the sulfates strips my hair of all it's natural oils and causes my hair to tangle extremely bad.

IMO.....There are no evil hair ingredients ( unless you have an allergy)....Everything has a purpose, you just can't over do it. Just look at all of the ladies here with beautiful long hair....many of them with the best hair IMO do/use some of the nono products and techniques.

Silicones have there purpose but alot of people use too many of them in conjuction with other products that have similar functions. Also, I think silicones have a rep of being like super glue which is not true. Silicones don't stay on the hair forever. Many silicones are voilate just as oils are so they eventually will chip off of the hair. Also, silicones can be charged so that they bind tighter to the damaged portions of your hair and not the whole hair shaft. There are also ingredients in shampoos and conditioners that regulate the rate of adhesion as well.

Sulfates.....I do think sulfates can be irritating for some people. Everyone has a different level of skin sensitivity. However, I personally think that alot of people also use too much shampoo and don't adequately rinse their hair enough before they start shampooing. Some non sulfate products are not automatically better either. It depends alot on over all formula and your shampooing technique. On the other hand, if you are having chronic irritation issues, it is time to try a non sulfate shampoo. One reason why I think some people shy away from non sulfate shampoos is that many people say their hair felt stripped after using them. Feeling stripped and actually being stripped are two different things IMO but I won't go into that. End the end, just find a shampoo you like and just roll with it.

Clarifying should be done on a as needed basis. Don't plan out your clarifying in advanced. Just do it when you hair tells you too. Silicones are not the only things you have worry about building up especially if you are cowashing.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! THIS IS SO APPRECIATED!

Thanks for this info! My hair loves silicones, but dislikes sulfate. I can't clarify because the sulfates strips my hair of all it's natural oils and causes my hair to tangle extremely bad.
No problem girly! Happy I could help :grin:

Back