Should I use Aphogee 2 step again a week later?

*SkolarStar*

I used aphogee 2 step last week after taking down my weave but I still have breakage. And a lot of it. So I'm wondering if I should do it again. My hair feels mushy but I don't want the 2 step to take me from not enough protein to way too much protein.

What should I do?

I don't think you should use it again. You should baby your hair and leave it be! Maybe if you are insistent you could use a light protein but the aphogee twice in a 2 week period is OVERKILL!

I believe you're only supposed to use the Aphogee 2-step once every 6 weeks (max). At this point, perhaps you should try a light to moderate protein, like the Aphogee 2min or Aubrey Organics GPB (my fav) moisture/protein balancing deep cond'r. Its a restructuring conditioner, so it helps to build up those mushy strands (as long as you're consistent w/using, like once a week, you should see improvement).

NO! Please don't use it again! If your breakage is that bad, the aphogee won't help and all it will do is dry your hair or matt it and you will get either more breakage or soft giant knots you have have to cut out.

Focus on moisture and no heat. Try the aphogee 2MINUTE.

Hold off on a second application. I also had mushy hair not too long ago. I used Aphogee 2 step treatment earlier this month. It took about 4 weeks for my curls to come back. You might want to give it a little more time to resolve your hair issues. Hard protein treatments are nothing to play with.

NO! Please don't use it again! If your breakage is that bad, the aphogee won't help and all it will do is dry your hair or matt it and you will get either more breakage or soft giant knots you have have to cut out.

Focus on moisture and no heat. Try the aphogee 2MINUTE.
Exactly. Once you do a hard protein treatment (or any protein treatment) you really have to incorporate more moisture in your regimen, or at least moisturize on a consistent basis, to ensure that there won't be any additional breakage. The moisture will definitely balance things out and make your protein treatment more effective.

Nope! Don't do it. Aphogee is only to be applied every 6 weeks if need be. I agree with the others, maybe a lighter protein and some deep conditioning maybe even a trim.

Don't do the treatment again. Your hair needs time to recover from the sew-in. If your hair still feels mushy after 3 weeks, then I would suggest using a light protein.

Ok. Thanks for helping me out! If anyone else has more input feel free to contribute. Cutting my hair is the last thing I want to do.

ETA: But I'll cut for a trim. I am due for one of those.

Last edited:
@*SkolarStar* I think a better protein to use is Nexxus Emergencee. Its similar to Aphogee, except many people use it weekly to build up the strand. It is also a reconstructor. It is strong but not as harsh as the Aphogee (you have to follow both with a moisturizing conditioner). I alternate between Emergencee and Aubrey O GPB.

Honestly I was using aphogee 2 step before I was aware of LHCF, hair blogs and other hair boards. I used it like every 3 weeks for a while and nothing bad happened to me. One time I brought it to the salon and she didn't do it the right way. She didn't let it fully harden before she rinsed it out (obviously she didn't know how to read the directions). Anyways, I ended up redoing the treatment later on that week since my hair still fet fragile.

I would say try the 2 min just because its easier, and if you're as lazy as I am you probably don't want to go through the whole 2 step process all over again.

Honestly I didn't even realize how "strong" the 2step was and didn't really understand why people were scared of trying it at first. But I guess every head of hair is different.

Honestly I didn't even realize how "strong" the 2step was and didn't really understand why people were scared of trying it at first. But I guess every head of hair is different.
I used to use the 2 step with no problem. My hairdresser used it once on someone and then wrapper her hair. I did that for three years and my hair was fine. Then after one time in 2010 it just matted and knotted. I had to cut chunks out. I was freaking out and making threads here because it would just knot and matt back up even after I detangled. I would detangle for 10+hours for over 2 weeks and I still had mats. I was emotionally exhausted and lost a lot of hair.

Maybe you should try a different type of protein. I would do maybe a silk protein or a collagen treatment, with a good moisturizing DC afterwards. Different types of protein do different things, and collagen is stronger than silk, so I would read up on the different kinds and plan accordingly. When my hair was super mushy I mixed proteins with good results. Just make SURE you don't skimp on the moisture afterwards.

Back