Should I switch my shampoo/conditioner combo?

Jaelin

My mother felt my hair and told me that it felt like rope and recommended that I try her shampoo. She is using Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine shampoo & conditioner combo. I tried it my last wash and she says it feels softer. To me there is only a slight difference and I wonder if the dry air of the winter season isn't the root cause.

I am wondering if I should switch from the infusium shampoo/conditioner/moisturiser combo that I am using. I remember reading that you should alternate products. And I think someone posted recently about the leave in moisturiser causing buildup when you use it everyday. Maybe I should have different brands for different seasons?

if you're using a good leave in, you shouldnt have to use it everyday. Garnier made my hair as hard as a rock and i was so tangled so i cant stand it. I dont know the ingredients of infusium but you should a shampoo that doesnt have sodium lauryl sulphate, ammonium lauryl sulphate or ammonium laureth sulphate. If it has sodium laureth sulphate, its okay cos its a gentle cleanser

in the winter i have to go the pure moisture route bc the cold air & lack of humidity is too much.

i have had great results with the elucence line.

I'm going to look at the ingredients list on both brands an compare.

if you're using a good leave in, you shouldnt have to use it everyday ... Garnier made my hair as hard as a rock and i was so tangled so i cant stand it.
I didn't notice anymore tangling after using the garnier and it's just my habit to use the infusium everyday or every other day, my hair needs lots of moisture.

pure moisture route bc the cold air & lack of humidity
I want to think it's the weather but maybe I should be switching to something else.

I never had good results with any Infusium products; they made my hair stiff. I am a loyal user of Creme of Nature w/conditioner shampoo. Even if I try a new shampoo, I always use CON for my last washing, because I've had the best results with it.

What did your hair feel like to you? "Soft" and "Moisturized" are subjective. However, if you have noticed that your hair has been feeling hard or dry, try a hot oil treatment or moisturizing deep conditioner. To enhance the benefits of both, you can do several things:

1. Turn on your shower (full blast) to hot water only, close the bathroom door and put your hot oil or deep conditioner on your head followed by a shower cap or warm towel. Stay there for 5-20 minutes and then rinse.
2. Wrap a warm towel around your hair either with or without a shower cap underneath
3. Use a soft/hard bonnet dryer or steamer for 5-60 minutes
4. Keep your hair in a shower cap without heat for as long as you desire

You actually don't HAVE to alternate products. What's best is finding things that work for your hair and using them consistently. You don't have to buy everything that comes out, and you don't have to have an arsenal or different hair products to achieve your ideal hair.

If you do notice that your hair likes one conditioner one week and one the next, stock up so you can switch. I've noticed that my hair likes only a select few (four different) conditioners, so I use a different one each week of the month.

Hair and scalp usually become drier in the cooler months, so you should try the hot oil treatments as a pre-shampoo. This will help lock in moisture and enhance the effects you get from using moisturizing conditioners.

You may want to try the following if you haven't already:

Moisturizing Deep Conditioners:
NTM Recovery Mask
L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture
Placenta Deep Conditioner
LeKair Cholesterol Plus
Queen Helene Cholesterol
Fresh's Meadowfoam Conditioning Cream

Hot oil:
Jojoba
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Coconut
Monoi
Meadowfoam
For added moisture, try applying oil on dry hair and adding your favorite conditioner right on top. Then sit under the dryer (or use another method) for about 45 minutes.

As for shampoo, find something that won't dry your hair out. Two good moisturizing shampoos are Dabur Vatika Henna Cream Conditioning shampoo and Kenra Moisturizing shampoo.

Last edited:
I think maybe you should be trying a more moisturizing line of products. The leave-in has protein in it. Maybe you should hold off on it.

Thanks sillygurl18.

The leave-in has protein in it.
this is it. I knew I had read something recently about the leave in.

It's been a while since I've had a hot oil treatment, I'm going to buy some before I wash my hair this week.

Moisturizing Deep Conditioners:
NTM Recovery Mask
L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture
Placenta Deep Conditioner
LeKair Cholesterol Plus -- love this
Queen Helene Cholesterol -- stopped using this, made my hair feel greasy
Fresh's Meadowfoam Conditioning Cream

I'll have to try one of the others.

Back