Should I do a corrective relaxer on the ends?

Should I do a corrective relaxer on my texlaxed (underprocessed ends)?

• Yes, it won't be a problem at all.

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • No, you don't want to risk any damage.

Votes: 47 72.3%
  • I have no clue!

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

hillytmj

Hi ladies! I am currently 8 weeks post, and my hair is 1 inch less than midback (I might be there when I relax). The last three inches of my hair is texlaxed (due to underprocessing) while the rest of my hair is bone straight. At my current length, I'm guessing my ends are 1.5 to 2 years old, and I'm wondering if I should do a corrective relaxer to make it all one texture.

Here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros -less tangles, no extra smoothing products needed, less moisturizer needed that weighs down hair, no frizzy ends, less damage/breakage (??? I'm not sure if this is a contributor to my dry ends that seem to need trims more often).

Cons - I don't want to risk damaging my ends, especially since I'm finally reaching my length goals. I've recently started using Porosity Control to reduce the tangles and Chi Straight Gaurd cream to help smooth the texlaxed ends during a rollerset. The ends aren't completely smooth until I moisturize and seal daily, but it would be a living nightmare to lose my new length due to overprocessing.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice given.

Last edited:
I wouldn't....you don't want to damage them, u've come so far. A setback would be devastating. Better safe than sorry. Your almost there. I found this wonderful site because I damaged the back of my hair and nape touching up my relaxer when it wasn't necessary. It was pretty long, I lost a lot of length. It's coming along now, still have awhile to go. Now I relax and throw the rest away and touch up at least 10 weeks post.

Maybe putting the relaxer on the ends at the last few minutes. That will work, and its not long enough to do damage.

ok my understanding is that once permed always permed so to hit the ends, (the oldest part of your hair) would probably be doing more harm than good. the additional processing may make them weak and brittle. Now of course, you know your hair better than we, so if they are not damaged and are TRULY underprocessed try it but use the mildest relaxer you can find, maybe even a kiddie perm.

I'd personally would leave it alone..I know you wouldn't want to risk breakage and over processed ends

Pros -less tangles, no extra smoothing products needed, less moisturizer needed that weighs down hair, no frizzy ends, less damage/breakage (??? I'm not sure if this is a contributor to my dry ends that seem to need trims more often).
I wouldn't do it. If it were me I'd trim a little at a time as my hair grew.

I'm thinking of doing this. Most of my hair is really texlaxed and I don't know how that happened because before LHCF I use to relax from root to tip every touch up. When I flat iron or rollerset you can't really tell, it's only when I airdry, but when I airdry I like the big crinkly fluffiness. Some days I would really prefer my hair to just airdry straight.

I'm thinking of doing this as well. This is the reason why I can't airdry. My ends are too puffy because they are underprocessed.

I just did a search on correctives and some people do it and some don't. It's a risk a risk either way you look at it.

I just did a search on correctives and some people do it and some don't. It's a risk a risk either way you look at it.

I know that's what I read too.

But honestly, if I weigh out what I can live with, I can live with texlaxed ends more than I can imagine overprocessing them and losing my length.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I will leave my ends alone and continue nurturing them as usual. :yep:

I know that's what I read too.

But honestly, if I weigh out what I can live with, I can live with texlaxed ends more than I can imagine overprocessing them and losing my length.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I will leave my ends alone and continue nurturing them as usual. :yep:

Yeah, I'm with you on that. That's why I haven't done a corrective.

Hi ladies! I am currently 8 weeks post, and my hair is 1 inch less than midback (I might be there when I relax). The last three inches of my hair is texlaxed (due to underprocessing) while the rest of my hair is bone straight. At my current length, I'm guessing my ends are 1.5 to 2 years old, and I'm wondering if I should do a corrective relaxer to make it all one texture.

Cons - I don't want to risk damaging my ends, especially since I'm finally reaching my length goals. I've recently started using Porosity Control to reduce the tangles and Chi Straight Gaurd cream to help smooth the texlaxed ends during a rollerset. The ends aren't completely smooth until I moisturize and seal daily, but it would be a living nightmare to lose my new length due to overprocessing.

You can do it if the relaxer on the ends are a lye-relaxer. If it's no-lye, you cannot do a successful corrective relaxing treatment.

I almost didn't come in here because i thought you meant something else.. and was going to seriously damage your hair.

My hairdresser actually does this for me...
yes I get my hair texturized root to tip, because I get my hair texturized once a year, and I want to go straighter and straighter.
He uses a mild relaxer, does it in sections, and watches my hair very closely.

He also rinses 7 times.
anyway. my hair is midback and very thick.
I would say that if you're not going to cut off your ends and you want them to be the same texture as the rest of your hair, get a professional to do it.

One that went to school and has certificates hanging from his wall:drunk:
then you know that your hair will be in good hands.

i wouldn't. the ends are the oldest part of your hair, therefore the most fragile. imo, it's better for them to be less relaxed than the rest of your hair-

I've done it before, I kept the relaxer on for 5 min {max}, but I had mixed the relaxer w/ a conditioner as well. Didn't have no breakage what so ever.

It's really a catch 22, everyone's hair is different. So good luck w/ whatever you choose.

I switched from lye to no-lye and it ruined my strands. They are now growing back to normal and it's time for a touch-up. I want to use a lye, mild and am wandering if I should apply some relaxer to the ends for about 3 minutes? Help!

My aunt( a beautician) says I need to do this. I did a corrective relaxer on most of my hair for about 5 minutes several months back but my ends are puffy. You cant tell when I do a roller wrap but I think I may do this again to straigten them out. My hair gets uneven b/c I stretch my relaxers and my roots gets straight and the rest gets texlaxed so as it grows out its straigth-wavy-straight-wavy, etc. My coworker set my hair one day and laughed and was like,"let me perm your hair, I'll straigten it out" I just laughed.

My aunt( a beautician) says I need to do this. I did a corrective relaxer on most of my hair for about 5 minutes several months back but my ends are puffy. You cant tell when I do a roller wrap but I think I may do this again to straigten them out. My hair gets uneven b/c I stretch my relaxers and my roots gets straight and the rest gets texlaxed so as it grows out its straigth-wavy-straight-wavy, etc. My coworker set my hair one day and laughed and was like,"let me perm your hair, I'll straigten it out" I just laughed.

Are you going to try it again? Also, did you have any adverse effects the first time?

I have done it once and havent had a problem, long as it not done all the time. My ends arent damaged or thin.

I have this issue too. After reading all the threads here I just decided to leave it alone. I rather have underprocessed ends than to lose my length. I wear my hair in a bun 99.9% of the time ne way. My plan is to grow out my hair this year, and starting next year, after every touch up to trim off about 1 in, so at least that way by 1 year or so the texlaxed ends will be gone. Also I plan of giving myself layers in about a year too , sh that should def take care of the rest of the ends, especially towards the front.

Back