Should I DC/Henna over Braids or Twists???

CocoGlow

Hey ladies

I don't know if this topic has been covered before but I wuld really like to know if anyone has done this and if so:

What treatment did you do?

Did you have in natural braids or twists?

Was it just as successful as doing it on loose hair?

Was it easy to rinse out?

I'm asking b/c I currently have in rather small box braids (no extensions) that I plan to keep in for a month & then re-do.....and I would like to DC weekly & do a monthly Henna treatment...I really do not want to have to take out my small braids in order to DC & then put them back in again every week....

I thought about just doing the henna & DC once a month when I take out the small braids but I really want to increase my deep treatments during these cold Winter months....

So before I ramble on & on...I would really appreciate your experiences ...good & bad...and any tips you may have

Thanks!

No....especially not the henna.

ps...I DCd when I was in braids, but you have to dilute it and rinse really really really well. I usually dont leave my hair in braids. Have you looked at the Crown and Glory method?

I think the braids or twists wont allow you to fully rinse out your hair. Whether you just DC/or Henna. I dont think its a good idea.

I think having your hair in natural braids makes it even more difficult to rinse things out. I have Senegalese twists with hair added in right now. I apply oil to my scalp every night and spray the length of the braid with Motions leave-in. I then slather on some oil and wrap my twists up. My hair is quite long so most of the length of the twist is my hair.

When I wash, I will make a watery mixture of baking soda, shampoo and water and massage it into my scalp. Then I'll rinse. I'll use a spray leave-in.

I think having your hair in natural braids makes it even more difficult to rinse things out. I have Senegalese twists with hair added in right now. I apply oil to my scalp every night and spray the length of the braid with Motions leave-in. I then slather on some oil and wrap my twists up. My hair is quite long so most of the length of the twist is my hair.

When I wash, I will make a watery mixture of baking soda, shampoo and water and massage it into my scalp. Then I'll rinse. I'll use a spray leave-in.

Keluric, your hair doesn't revert when you wash it?

Wow I have so far no problem but i have not taken my braids out yet. I downloaded a book on henna and it said that henna could be done over braids. It also suggested making a tub full of water and dipping the entire head in the water bath and swishing the head around to loosen the henna from the braids. Then under the shower rinse really well. I admit I was under there along time. I then deep conditioned for 60 minutes and rinsed again. I also pre pooed the night before with oil and again more oil and hour before. Also I mixed my henna with a moisturizing conditioner and yogurt..So techinically it was a Henna Gloss. I was going to henna again before my takeout next week but Now I'm all paranoid. It's been 3.5 weeks I've conditioner wash my hair like 4 times since and it is behaving the same. I guess I'll wait for my take out and let you know for sure.

I don't think it's a good idea. Henna can be very messy, and it might not rinse out of your braids thoroughly. With DC'ing, you'll be able to do it if you thin out your deep conditioner by diluting it. You don't want anything to get caked in your braids.

Thanks ladies!!

So far from your respoonses I see that I should stay away from thick DCs and just dilute my DC before putting it on my braids and rinse like crazy!!:spinning:

I really like the idea of dunking my head in a basin of water before rinsing to make sure all of the DC is out

So I'm guessing I should stay away from experimenting w/ avocados & bananas & everything until I take my braids out ....& stick to mixing conditioner w/ oil & honey and maybe adding a little henna and then diulting it well enough to be rinsed out right?!!

Back