Should I...Chop it?

What's A Girl to Do?

• Total voters

Neala21

Hey Ladies (and gents),

It's been awhile since I really posted but I've been lurking more on the reading side lately. Anyways, my last relaxer was May 15th as I'm heading to the Natural Pole. I'm currently 2 month and 2 days post relaxer.

And last week I had my sister grab the clippers and shave one side off (Raven-Simone style) very cute. Plus I got a better look at my new growth.

I want to chop it all off. But my family says NO! my SO states NO! My Twin says its my choice and fully supports me. That's what twins are for. But I don't want to have regrets, plus we talking 3/8th of an inch of hair = Fresh Start! My last transition was a failure after 6 months i went back and relaxed.

Funny thing is my mom is natural and younger sister is partly natural and my mom and her sisters say No-Go Chop my hair is too long and why in the world would I want to do that.

Reason = Breakage so bad that my white birthmark of hair has been breaking to where there's barely 1" in some spots. I know bad!!! This is even after a hard core protein treatment and lots of moisture to help it all out and 1 trim and a 1 dust and barely any heat.

So many of you are inspiring me as I've seen so many BC folders and pics its pushing me over. LOL!!!

Please help me decide or enlighten me.
Pics included of my new look as well as in the avatar and my fotki at http://members.fotki.com/Neala21/about/
wr-2.jpg

wr-3.jpg

wr-1.jpg

wr-5.jpg

what's your goal? Do you want to just experience your texture or do you want to be a long term natural. There's nothing wrong with stretching longer if you want to have bigger hair right away.

But if you're asking if you should go natural, I say GO FOR IT! How long you transition is up to you though.

you have pretty hair! Make sure you're ready when you big chop because it is a major psychological/physical change

You may regret it in the beginning, but afterwards you just may begin to love your new do.

It's all up to you, if you think you can handle it, go for it.

If you are only wanting to go natural because of breakage, it is possible you can stretch your relaxer for a while and have the straightened ladies give you some tips on dealing with the breakage, like castor oil, baggying, bunning, dcing every other day, etc. You may also want to consider transitioning to texlax.

OTOH, if the fact you are getting a relaxer bugs you out and makes you feel like a sell out to your race (not saying that people with relaxers are) and you want to play in your texture and have more versatility, then by all means, CHOP it :grin:

Ultimately, do what you want to do. I had a ton of supportes for my big chop and a handful of people who thought I shouldn't go through with it, but I did what I wanted to do, and I love it! If you're ready, cut it off!

what's your goal? Do you want to just experience your texture or do you want to be a long term natural. There's nothing wrong with stretching longer if you want to have bigger hair right away.

But if you're asking if you should go natural, I say GO FOR IT! How long you transition is up to you though.

My goal this time around it to be Natural for Life. I DEEPLY miss my natural hair from 2005-2008.

If you are only wanting to go natural because of breakage, it is possible you can stretch your relaxer for a while and have the straightened ladies give you some tips on dealing with the breakage, like castor oil, baggying, bunning, dcing every other day, etc. You may also want to consider transitioning to texlax.

OTOH, if the fact you are getting a relaxer bugs you out and makes you feel like a sell out to your race (not saying that people with relaxers are) and you want to play in your texture and have more versatility, then by all means, CHOP it :grin:

I think the breakage is more like a bigger push to go back natural. Because of having to constantly trim means losing progress anyways. I love both Relaxed and Natural hair. I do want more versatility.

Thanks Ladies, keep it coming, cuz i need help deciding.

Since you've already shaved some hair off, I would just finish the job. I'm amazed no one has protested your partially shaved look. Regardless, good luck on whatever you decide. :)

Since you've already shaved some hair off, I would just finish the job. I'm amazed no one has protested your partially shaved look. Regardless, good luck on whatever you decide. :)

I agree with her. You already took the plunge, so whatever you decide will be great either way. I do like your hairstyle, though.

Make sure you are happy with whatever decision you make. It is your head and you have to deal with it. But If you what to rock your curls, I say cut it off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your so and family may like it after wards. Keep in mind its hair and it will grow back.

I agree with her. You already took the plunge, so whatever you decide will be great either way. I do like your hairstyle, though.

You bring up a good point because the day i shaved it - i showed my mom and sent a pix to my SO. My mom was like oh okay- its cute i guess, it that how u are going to wear it. my so was like i guess its cute i didn't think you would cut any of it - are u going thru a crisis?

My twin has been the only positivity around me as far as my hair goes. sometimes you would like to have support from those you love but it's all good.

Make sure you are happy with whatever decision you make. It is your head and you have to deal with it. But If you what to rock your curls, I say cut it off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your so and family may like it after wards. Keep in mind its hair and it will grow back.

That's what i was thinking that they'll have to live with it. it's my hair and i told my SO its just hair and it will grow back. I just remember when i first went natural --my family HATED IT!!! they wanted nothing to do with me until my hair grew back out to a reasonable length. they always complained that they didn't like it short and why are you doing this and that to your hair.

I've had a few protest but it's all good. Plus, I've been telling myself I'm partially there anyways and If i transition longer my hair will be uneven as the shaved part is shorter than all my 2 inches of new growth vs shaved length at 3/8" ( i used a #3 guard on the clippers).

Only other thing is my grandparents are coming to visit by the end of July and I know they are gonna hand it to me at least my grandmother will. My grandfather hates fake hair, doesn't care for relaxers. Which reminds me he liked my natural hair previously he just told me not to go back relaxed and I did anyways. I'm a Stubborn-have-it-my way Capricorn. LOL!!!

Keep it coming...

ITA with you. Please don't let anyone sway you from your natural journey. I miss being natural now that I relaxed. Even though I keep failing to remain natural, I always learn something new. This knowledge helps me to keep striving and reaching towards that goal. I know someday that I would return to being natural, so I always encourage future and current transitioners to keep striving for that goal. Your natural texture looks so pretty with that litlle glimpse. Imagine how gorgeous your hair will be when you BC. :yep: I wish you all the best!

I say go ahead and Chop! You have a lovely texture and I would like to see it all!!!!! So go for it!!!!!!!

ITA with you. Please don't let anyone sway you from your natural journey. I miss being natural now that I relaxed. Even though I keep failing to remain natural, I always learn something new. This knowledge helps me to keep striving and reaching towards that goal. I know someday that I would return to being natural, so I always encourage future and current transitioners to keep striving for that goal. Your natural texture looks so pretty with that litlle glimpse. Imagine how gorgeous your hair will be when you BC. :yep: I wish you all the best!

Thanks Ladies, I feel like the BC could be coming on later today with those clippers. Of course I have to wait until my twin gets off so she can cut it with those clippers. :yep:

BC - :rolleyes: I'm kind of nervous and excited because I know that once I do the BC there's no turning back and if it's done today I know I want to stay at the phase for about a 3 weeks or until aug 15th when I will more than likely recut to make sure all scab hair is gone. It takes an avg 3-4 months for scab hair to be gone after a relaxer.

Keep it coming ladies. I'm still like:ohwell: & :spinning:

Back