Shedding and Breaking? What!? Help!

BrownBetty

Hola,

I am a relaxed 4a/b, mostly b. I have been shedding and seeing breakage something awful in the last couple of weeks. My last relaxer was two weeks ago, where I chopped a little over two inches. I cut that much because my ends were a mess. I am at APL now... I think.

My last wash I used Aveda DR poo, reconstructer, and Kenra Con. I wrap my hair at night wearing a scarf. I moisturize at night or every other depending on my hair needs. I wear protective styles. I hennaed 4 days after my relaxer.

I don't know what else to do.... My last hardcore protein treatment was about a month ago.

Ladies do you have any suggestions? I have a ton of products so if you suggest it I probably have it or something similar.

Thanks!
Please help me cause I am about to snap and cut it all off!

MV

How long have you been using Mizani? I would say get rid of it. I used it a few years ago and my hair started to fall out. Do you do your own hair? If so take the time out to treat yourself to the beauty parlour. I had to do it b/c I was having the same problems, now I have little to no breakage. I got my relaxer last week (1st time going) and just got a wash n set last night. I beautician said that I didn't need hard protein. I did use my Keraphix though followed by Humectress. I want to wash my own hair next week to see if in fact it is my water, because I like the way my hair comes out better when I do it.

HTH

I could be wrong but I believe Henna is a protein and you also used a protein reconstructor. SO maybe you have protein overload. You probably need to cut out protein for a while and up your deep conditioning treatments.

Thanks ladies...

I've been using Mizani relaxer and the henna for years... never had a problem. I don't know what could be causing this.

`

I could be wrong but I believe Henna is a protein and you also used a protein reconstructor. SO maybe you have protein overload. You probably need to cut out protein for a while and up your deep conditioning treatments.
Henna is not a protein :)

OP are you DC at all?

ITA:yep:...that should help reverse the problem:grin:

I also think that your protein/ moisture balance is off. You need to probably DC 2x a week with moisture treatment for the next couple of weeks and then only do protein treatments 1x or 2x a month. But, only after your hair is balanced. The same thing happened to me. And I had just had to back away from the Protein for a while. I use Aussie Deeeeep 3 Min Moisture Treatment. Its really good. My hair LOVES it!!!!

I Hope this Helps you!!!

It seems you are consistently doing all of the right things, and it's so frustrating when this happens. Since the change has been in the last few weeks, I'm going to ask about the climate where you live. It doesn't say, but as winter gets closer and the weather gets cold, heaters, coats, dry air are murder on hair. I also think when, like me, you live where winter is not severe, but the temperatures change from hot to cold to dry to wet back and forth, my hair does a little freak out too. At times like these, I've learned I have to up the moisture more and more and use a lighter protein like silk less often. I feel like the first year here was about learning what to do to take better care of my hair in the first place, and the second year is more about learning when and how to work with the changes that invariably happen because of weather changes - even water changes.

OMG I'm having the same problem... I hope your able to find a solution...

Hola,

I am a relaxed 4a/b, mostly b. I have been shedding and seeing breakage something awful in the last couple of weeks. My last relaxer was two weeks ago, where I chopped a little over two inches. I cut that much because my ends were a mess. I am at APL now... I think.

My last wash I used Aveda DR poo, reconstructer, and Kenra Con. I wrap my hair at night wearing a scarf. I moisturize at night or every other depending on my hair needs. I wear protective styles. I hennaed 4 days after my relaxer.

I don't know what else to do.... My last hardcore protein treatment was about a month ago.

Ladies do you have any suggestions? I have a ton of products so if you suggest it I probably have it or something similar.

Thanks!

MV

I was having the same problem after my relaxer. Here is what I did last weekend and it stopped the breakage immediately.

1. Washed with neutralizing shampoo (figured -- it couldn't hurt - right?)
2. Washed with clarifying shampoo
3. Washed with moisturizing shampoo (NTM)
4. Applied Nexxus Emergencee (for about 15 minutes - did not get under dryer)
5. Applied Nexxus Humectress (for about 20 minutes - did not get under dryer - wore plastic cap)

Obviously, I rinsed between all of the above steps! Anyway, I don't think I've lost 3 hairs since. I'm not sure WHICH step worked, but the entire combination performed a miracle for me!!

It seems you are consistently doing all of the right things, and it's so frustrating when this happens. Since the change has been in the last few weeks, I'm going to ask about the climate where you live. It doesn't say, but as winter gets closer and the weather gets cold, heaters, coats, dry air are murder on hair. I also think when, like me, you live where winter is not severe, but the temperatures change from hot to cold to dry to wet back and forth, my hair does a little freak out too. At times like these, I've learned I have to up the moisture more and more and use a lighter protein like silk less often. I feel like the first year here was about learning what to do to take better care of my hair in the first place, and the second year is more about learning when and how to work with the changes that invariably happen because of weather changes - even water changes.

I live in MA.... it is cold. This is the first time I have really dealt with this.

Anytime I have shedding or breakage I use Mizani's H2O Intense
Night-Time Treatment for about 3 days and it stops it. This seems to work great for me.
216emnFDGGL._SL500_AA197_.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:
How long have you been using Mizani? I would say get rid of it. I used it a few years ago and my hair started to fall out. Do you do your own hair? If so take the time out to treat yourself to the beauty parlour. I had to do it b/c I was having the same problems, now I have little to no breakage. I got my relaxer last week (1st time going) and just got a wash n set last night. I beautician said that I didn't need hard protein. I did use my Keraphix though followed by Humectress. I want to wash my own hair next week to see if in fact it is my water, because I like the way my hair comes out better when I do it.

HTH

I quite agree. Used Mizani last year and my hair started to fall. I then switched to Linange Shea relaxer and it subsided a bit. I finally switched to ORS and have no problems (knock on wood) thus far. I had been using Aphogee since the Linange and it still didn't really help. It always returned. I think those 2 products were too harsh for my hair plus, the weather was changing.

I now shampoo with Creme of Nature, condition with any good moisturizer (Broaer B2 and just bought Aubrey HSR), use the Redken anti-snap then apply Elasta mango butter for the ends. I also started taking garlic capsules.

HTH

ITA...the key is finding a beautician who cares about hair care rather than styles. In my experience, most beauticians who TRULY care about healthy hair are not the best stylists and stick to rollersets. The reason why I think a salon visit may be good is because they can use something to help stop that breakage. Mine used the Affirm 5 in 1 to stop my severe breakage a few years.

Here's the link for the Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor.
http://www.avlon.com/5in1.html

I know that we all advocate doing your own hair on this board (I do too as I think it's essential to be able to take care of your own hair and learn its needs), but I don't think going to the salon is awful or the devil. I think of it like going to a doctor when my hair is "sick." As long as hair is healthy, it's pretty easy to take care of. When you're having challenge or it's sick, it may be time for professional help (from a stylist or someone else who's really knowledgeable. Some of the ladies on this board qualify).

The key is that you will really have to interview the stylist that you choose BEFORE he or she touches your head to determine if their hair philosophy and beliefs match your own. If they pass the interview and give a recommendation that sounds feasible (you are knowledgeable enough from this board to know if something sounds hokey), then give them a try to let them help end the shedding/breakage. And no matter what, I wouldn't let them touch my hair with scissors, especially if it's a new stylist. I would be more interested in seeing what they can do to help me solve the probem rather than give an instant fix (i.e. big chop)!

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies, I have affirm 5 n 1. Today is wash day so I am going DC with the some sort of protein and mositure, then followup with loreal hair fixer and a moist leave in. I'll rollerset and see if it gets better.

Hola,

Thanks!

MV

try not to panic. see the following thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312901&page=3

apparently the caffeine in a regular tea rinse helps dramatically (regular orange pekoe tea works. 6 bags steeped in 32oz of water for a few hours)

also, maybe alternate btwn moisturizing DC and protein DC weekly?

good luck!!

If you started breaking very soon after the relaxer:

Did you try re-washing w/neutralizing shampoo? It's possible you didn't wash all the relaxer out well. This happened to quite a few people i know - even those who were relaxed at a dominican salon.

Alter ego garlic deep condish works wonders for breaking and shedding, but if the relaxer is still "active", this won't help

I have had experiences with henna where my hair felt like straw, well as close as possible for my natural hair, it needed lots of moisture. In fact back when I was using henna, I never did a treatment without extensive DC activities following. You never know give it a try. I would give DCing a try over the next week. Maybe 2 or so DC treatments. In the meantime do something with your hair that does not require you to bother it in between...so you don't cause further damage.

Back