Shea Butter Alternative Needed

VeeJai

I am a natural and I have been using shea butter since I was transitioning. However, I am looking for an alternative. Perhaps another butter that has equal moisturizing properties but doesn't take so long to absorb or isn't quite so heavy.

You might want to try shealoe. Shealoe is shea butter whipped with aloe so it has the properties of shea but it's lighter and fluffier.

Of course, my personal favorites are avocado butter, it's heavy though, and hemp seed butter, a little lighter than avocado, very nourishing.

Macadamia nut butter is more expensive than the previously mentioned butters but it's rich without feeling too heavy or greasy. It "soaks" into my hair quickly and gives a nice shine, leaves hair feeling like silk.

If you're feeling adventurous, pure mango butter (very hard like shea or cocoa butter) melted down and whipped with virgin coconut oil is a real treat for the hair. It has all the moisturizing properties of coconut oil and mango combined.

The key with all butters is too not use too much. Start out with a tiny bit and slowly work your way up.

I added some avocado and jojoba oil to mine and whipped it to make mine less heavy. Shea butter absorbs quickly in my hair, but I did want a lighter butter and these oils have good penetrating ability. I found mowrah butter much lighter than shea butter and I absolutely loved it, but it is going to take me a good while to purchase it again because I just love always trying new things, but it is a wonderful butter. Unfortunately shealoe just did not work for me and I wound up selling it to another member.

VeeJai said:
I am a natural and I have been using shea butter since I was transitioning. However, I am looking for an alternative. Perhaps another butter that has equal moisturizing properties but doesn't take so long to absorb or isn't quite so heavy.

WHIPPED PUDDING! Oyin has it. You can get a 2 oz size. It's water soluble, and it has shea and all other goodies in it. You should check it out. Not greasy, but will leave your hair soft, and smellin yummy!

I remember back in the day, JADE21 (the natural guru) use to apply meadowfoam oil. Her hair was type 2, knee length. She swore by this. She said that it was the best moisturizer and was light. I personally never used this though.

Back