She Had Me Thinking...

twinkletoes17

So, I had Human Development lecture tonight from 7-10pm (what a drag). This woman in my class was sitting in the row behind me, talking with another classmate. Then she called me, "Bonnie! I have a question for you" Mind you, it was loud in the classroom, so we both got up to talk to each other closer. I answered her, "Yes?"

Then she asked me this: "I noticed you have curly, course hair, so I was wondering if you've heard of a Brazilian Blow-Out?"

Her calling me out was weird, but I took no offense, was just a little surprised :look:
Anyway, the cells in my brain were sounding off alarms, "BKT! BKT! BKT!" I was intrigued she knew what it was to be honest. I told her "Oh, you mean the Brazilian Keratin Treatment." She concurred. She told me where she wanted to get it done was going to cost her $300 :nono:

She kept telling me about how her friend got it done recently and was head over her heels with the results. Swingy, shiny hair for 4 months.
I know nothing of BKT. Never had one done or anything. I've just seen threads from here and pictures from Fabulosity and others.

About this woman. She's Caucasian and her hair is like 2c/3a. Good thing she wasn't talking about a relaxer, then I would've flipped. I was explaining what I knew, how it's not permanent, you need to blow dry the BKT onto the hair, don't rinse it out, etc. I'll probably send her a few links from here........

My point is, I get more Caucasians asking me for hair advice than African Americans. Could be where I live (near Sacramento). Anyone experience this? I do doubt it, but I'm still curious lol. I'm seriously sitting here trying to think about the last time an African American asked me for hair advice but I can't remember. Not that it's a problem, it just struck me and I wonder why that is or if I'm not alone.

Just thought I'd share.

I don't really get BW asking me for advice about hair. They usual ask who does my hair, what flatiron I use or what BTK I used. Once they get the one word answer that's usually it. Recently, a BW co-worker asked me about my hair and I told her I tried a different flatiron and technique. She then said she wanted to try the flatiron but I told her that it was really the technique that made the different. But, she just kept going on and on about the flatiron for the rest of the day.

I've actually had hispanic and WW ask me what it is that I actually do to my hair.

I had a AA woman ask me what products I use, she could see that I am natural. (it was after church) I told her, and introduced her to Hairveda. Her whole family uses those products now ;0). She had been using Miss Jessie's.

Otherwise, I can't remember the last time.

I don't think that most AA women are comfortable with asking a stranger about their hair, unless it's braids IMO. Some women aren't as nice about giving advice about hair care tips to strangers either, unlike the women I see on LHCF.

I've had women of other races ask me about my hair, but mostly black women ask about it/comment on it.

A few days ago a black girl ran up to me and said "Your hair is natural right?" I thought it was funny that she could tell because my hair was flat-ironed bone straight.

She then asked me what I use on it and told me she was growing out her relaxer. We talked for a minute and I told her about LHCF. She was all ears and wrote down the web address. :yep:

The first time I heard of BKT was from a (straight) Persian guy. He asked me why I never wore my hair straight and I told him that I didn't want heat or chemical damage. That's when he told me about BKT and how it's supposed to be good for damaged hair.

300$ for a bkt that is what I call being a slave to straight hair :lachen: Well, I am a cheap girl in good times, imagine me in recession time :grin:

I've had a white girl ask me for hair advice once. This was like the 3rd time i relaxed my hair and i got in done in the salon. I was only shoulder lengh. So a few days I was in the shopping city with my friend and some white girl came up to me and she was like "your hair looks nice, do you mind if i ask what you put in it?" and at that point i hadn't even needed to put any moisturiser in it, this was pre-lhfc so i was just using at really light hair grease by optimum. But i hadn't used it yet since i got the my hair done so i was said "i haven't put anything in it yet, i just relax it" then my friend said "you have to wrap it at night." and i think i told her what i use which was optimum care. I was really shocked; i didn't really think to look at her hair, i just saw face and skin tone. but i just thought it was odd that she would walk up to me, and ask ME what I do. This happened once about 4 years ago but I now think that she might have been asking for her black friend that was hiding someone where, i really don't know.

TT, you shoulda told her to buy her BKT offa Ebay! For $300, she coulda got a sample bottle of BKT and a really good quality flat-iron.

Oh I know! $300 is outrageous. I really do wonder where she looked. There's a salon in Sacramento that does it for $120. Still expensive, but I'd pay that over $300 anyday!

Compliments, suggestions, questions, for me have come mostly from people other than AA's. And it's not like my hair is anything special. It's in a bun just about 350 days out of the year lol.

I'm thinking Niko's cousins are another breed of people altogether lol.

I'm in a grad class with mostly Asians and they are fascinated by my hair. When its curly (rollerset) they want to touch it and they think it took me the whole day. When its in straight ( fresh relaxer) they cant believe I did it myself and when I had cornrowed weave they loved it and told me I had basketball player hair:lachen:. I am bombarded by questions from the women:perplexed. It made me think that the only ppl who have issue with black hair is black women (imho)

Back