SHARING COMMON PROBLEMS /SOLUTIONS (TRANSITIONERS)

kandi1280

Hey everyone. I am still new to posting to this board so please bear with me. We may have already done this but I wanted to do a post in which we can all share some of our common problems as well as solutions, especially during the delicate transitioning phase.

I will admit that at times I do wish for "good hair" I know that my hair is perfectly fine but after being conditioned for 24 years that good hair is "caucasian" type hair well I do find my self getting a little frustrated as I grow out my relaxer.

Well here are some of my suggestions to those who have type 4 hair that seems to dry easily.

After being on this board, I have bought many products and tried so many different things to keep my hair going.

problem:

The top of my hair is flat after a braid out, and it would only be wavy in the middle. Then the waves would drop out after a couple of hours, or they would be too frizzy.

solution:

My braidouts still suck, but I have found Sherrylove's recommendation of adding aloe vera gel very helpful. I don't braid or twist when my hair is soaking wet because it tends to shed more.

problem:
I used to conditioner wash weekly, but my new growth was coming in too dry and hard without having more moisture.

solution:
I conditioner wash every three days then skip a day and the next wash I use Optimum Shampoo. For me this shampoo works very well. I lather once because when I lather more my hair feels stripped. This shampoo contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate which doesn't dry my hair out as fast as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

problem:
Clarifying used to dry my hair out completely but I have altered my method.

solution:
When I do a clarifying wash i do a deep conditioning treatment first by applying queen helen jojoba hot oil treatment, EVOO, Lavender oil (evoo smells to me and 2 drops of this covers it right up), and queen helen cholesterol. I use nexxus Aloe Rid Gentle Clarifying shampoo. I can always tell my scalp is clean because it itches not matter how much I wash it when I have build up. When I clarify the itching stops. After I wash out the Aloe Rid I use the Optimum Shampoo because the Clarifying shampoo dries it out. Then this apply VO5 Oasis AND Sauve Awamphui conditoner together for 5 min and wash out. I then do a deep conditioner with Kera care Humectante conditoner.

My hair dries really easily and I find that now my 11th week without a relaxer I have to dampen it daily to keep it moisturized. I love 100% jojoba oil because its not greasy at all.

Does anyone have other problems and ideas/solutions they have experienced. These solutions do work for me and may not work for everyone, but I thought it might be nice to share.
wink.gif

Thanks for sharing your experiences kandi. This is a great post. I really dunno what my hair type is...but I will add on anyway....
smile.gif

Problem: I have major shrinkage when my hair dries...

Solution: Adding some coconut milk in my conditioner for co washes loosens up the curl. (Sengs post reminded me to pick some of this up and try it out!)

Problem: Summer heat & humidity leaves my hair looking like Ronald McDonald's do...

Solution: Daily conditioner washes...and natural oils.

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
OT - But erika and kandi, how many inches of natural hair do you guys have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only dealing with about 2.5 - 3 inches of new growth right now.

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
My hair is relaxed but I'm not planning on relaxing anytime soon.... Why, what's up?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious.
smile.gif
I thought I had seen a couple of your posts in these types of threads recently
cool.gif

prob-4a/b hair that is dry
sol-i bought some pure shea butter from an african shop melted it down and added a mixture of oils...moisture all day and then some

prob-handling relaxed and natural hair
sol-sta-so-fro has helped sooooo much for me

prob-making my braidout last during the day
sol-mixing glycerine with my motions nourish spray leave-i...i am good to go

Back