Shampoo Followed By Co-wash??

charmtreese

Does anyone shampoo their hair and then co-wash? For example, currently I'm only using shampoo or poo bars and I normally only lather once. I do however let the shampoo sit for a bit before rinsing. I really dislike lathering up twice, but was thinking I could shampoo and co-wash instead of shampooing twice. Is anyone else doing this, and if so, how do you like it??

Does anyone shampoo their hair and then co-wash? For example, currently I'm only using shampoo or poo bars and I normally only lather once. I do however let the shampoo sit for a bit before rinsing. I really dislike lathering up twice, but was thinking I could shampoo and co-wash instead of shampooing twice. Is anyone else doing this, and if so, how do you like it??
Is there a reason you want to cleanse twice?

If you lather your shampoo and let it sit before rinsing your hair is probably clean. Maybe clarify every other month if you have concerns about build up.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with shampooing, using a cowash (actually formulated to cleanse hair and not just a conditioner) and then conditioning your hair, it just sounds like a lot of cleansing.

Do you wash your hair weekly?

I do this biweekly. I use sulfate free shampoo on my scalp and I do not let it sit before rinsing. But because I don't get any real lather and I only shampoo once, I like to cowash the length of my hair just to make sure any remaining product is removed. I like it and it has worked well for me.

I just lather twice with shampoo. If I lather once I usually cowash first. I wet my hair, apply conditioner, rinse it and then shampoo.

Is there a reason you want to cleanse twice?

If you lather your shampoo and let it sit before rinsing your hair is probably clean. Maybe clarify every other month if you have concerns about build up.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with shampooing, using a cowash (actually formulated to cleanse hair and not just a conditioner) and then conditioning your hair, it just sounds like a lot of cleansing.

Do you wash your hair weekly?

I've been washing bi-weekly for a few months now (instead of my normal weekly routine) and I clarify everyother wash, I feel that my hair and scalp are getting clean with my current regimen, I just wanted to use up some of these cleansing conditioners I have.

I use to love cleansing conditioners but like a year or so ago they all just seemed to stop working, I felt like my hair and scalp was not getting clean enough. I was figuring they might work better as a second wash.

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

ETA: To answer your question "is there a reason you want to cleanse twice?" Not really, I've always cleansed my hair once and let whatever I'm using sit for awhile, but I've been programmed to think one lather is not enough, even though my scalp and hair feels clean with one lather....

Last edited:
I've been washing bi-weekly for a few months now (instead of my normal weekly routine) and I clarify everyother wash, I feel that my hair and scalp are getting clean with my current regimen, I just wanted to use up some of these cleansing conditioners I have.

I use to love cleansing conditioners but like a year or so ago they all just seemed to stop working, I felt like my hair and scalp was not getting clean enough. I was figuring they might work better as a second wash.

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

ETA: To answer your question "is there a reason you want to cleanse twice?" Not really, I've always cleansed my hair once and let whatever I'm using sit for awhile, but I've been programmed to think one lather is not enough, even though my scalp and hair feels clean with one lather....

That makes sense. It sounds like other ladies are shampooing and then cowashing so go for it! If you just want to use product that you already have, you can probably shave or wash your hair scarfs/combs/brushes with the cowash as well.

I think @lulu97 uses this method of cleansing, at least I think I remember her saying that she washes with shampoo then cowashes afterwards.

Yes I did this method for maybe a year or so. I was using Shea Moisture shampoo's and I felt that 1 lather didn't get my hair as clean as I liked and 2 lathers were stripping. So I would lather once with SM shampoo and the 2nd lather would be with Eden Bodyworks cleansing coconut cowash. I haven't done that method since finding a better shampoo though. My main shampoo is Joico Moisture Recovery and it has 1 sulfate so it gets my hair to the level of cleansiness the way I like. (Clean without feeling like hay with a pinch of moisture) Plus I only need 1 lather.

what you are doing is typical. Shampoo, rinse, apply conditioner, rinse. The conditioner provides slip and moisture. Deep conditioning is something on an as needed basis.

Back