Shamboosies Beautiful Black Hair

scorpian

Just wanted to share some info that has helped me understand relaxers for those of you who may be interested
sodium hydroxide is lye and calcium hyroxide is no lye
In Shamboosies Book Beautiful Black Hair he explains it like this:

"Contrary to popular belief,a conditioning lye relaxer is the best relaxer for your hair and scalp.It will leave the hair silkier and softer by conditioning as it relaxes the hair.The conditioning lye relaxer allows the hair to receive the moisture from conditioners it needs to retain its softness and to remain pliable.There is no calcium buildup and no extreme dryness which you will always get with the no lye relaxer.The conditioning lye relaxer leaves the cuticle layer of the hair healthier with each application(and that is no lye)"
"The biggest problem with the no lye relaxer is that the calcium buildup locks the hair, sealing the cuticle,and will not allow the hair to recieve the moisture from shampoos and conditioners it needs to remain soft to the touch,pliable and capable of holding its curl and its style." pg 151

In the book he also talks about the thicker the hair texture and tighter the curl pattern the drier your hair will be from the no lye relaxer and the faster the breakage will occur.(note:the phyto relaxer is not a calcium hydroxide no lye relaxer it uses natural ingredients to straighten the hair)

Does he list any lye relaxer that are considered good or any ingredients we should be looking for? Which lye relaxers are considered conditioning?

There are testimonials on the popehair.com webiste for phytorelaxer and also Robin of growafrohairlong.com says she has heard that phyto is a good relaxer. I haven't used it so I can't say for sure.

Shamboosie doesn't recommend any specific brands other than Dudley and Nexxus for haircare.In the book he says the rule of thumb is if the relaxer comes in a kit it is not for you.Lye relaxers are purchased in seperate containers
1.relaxer(no mixing) wn & Glory Technique
2.neutralizer
3.shampoo
Yes, the shampoo and conditioner may be in a bigger size than what you'll need for the initial relaxer or t-up but eventually you'll use it up. I use Fabulaxer lye relaxer since I am doing my own hair and I haven't had any problems

I have thick hair and tight curl pattern and found no problems with my hair absorbing moisture from conditioners or being soft to the touch. And this is when I used no-lye relaxers other than Phyto, so obviously his opinion on no-lye doesn't hold true for all.

scorpian said:
Just wanted to share some info that has helped me understand relaxers for those of you who may be interested

"Contrary to popular belief,a conditioning lye relaxer is the best relaxer for your hair and scalp.It will leave the hair silkier and softer by conditioning as it relaxes the hair.The conditioning lye relaxer allows the hair to receive the moisture from conditioners it needs to retain its softness and to remain pliable.There is no calcium buildup and no extreme dryness which you will always get with the no lye relaxer.The conditioning lye relaxer leaves the cuticle layer of the hair healthier with each application(and that is no lye)"
"The biggest problem with the no lye relaxer is that the calcium buildup locks the hair, sealing the cuticle,and will not allow the hair to recieve the moisture from shampoos and conditioners it needs to remain soft to the touch,pliable and capable of holding its curl and its style." pg 151

In the book he also talks about the thicker the hair texture and tighter the curl pattern the drier your hair will be from the no lye relaxer and the faster the breakage will occur.(note:the phyto relaxer is not a calcium hydroxide no lye relaxer it uses natural ingredients to straighten the hair)

Thankx for the info:)

No ,
I realize some ladies have had great results with hair health and growth with the no lye relaxer(obviously it was relaxed well by someone who knows what they are doing and not underprocessed) but I hope that this info will help some people who are having problems with their hair(or know others who are) due to the no-lye relaxer :)

I read his book. I haven't used a no-lye relaxer in a while...and only about 2 times since I've had a relaxer all these years. So, I don't know if what he says about them is true. But, I tried Nexxus after reading his book, and it works really well for my hair. I at least got that out of the book.

yes his book is of great help...but because i did read his book i tried to go back to my first relaxer that i ever had which was a Affirm Mild lye when i was 15 years old...and my hair was so so dry...and i never really had this problem when i did use box relaxer no-lye...even when i used Phyto relaxer i didnt have this problem...but i had to do alot of deep conditioning of my hair after using the Affirm relaxer and cldnt pin point what the issue was...but i didnt start having a problem until i switched to lye relaxer..i think everyones hair is different so i think he shouldve been more all around instead of saying well this is what is wrong with this product tht we are using on our hair and that we need to switch to lye relaxers....

dang, I lost the post that I typed:mad:

Oh well!:lol: I was gonna say that I just got this book the day before yesterday and there is some great info inside!:yep: Some things he said left me scratching my head though. He said that no lye relaxers cause dryness, dryness so terrible that it cannot be fixed by anything. Nothing at all. Except... duhn duhn duhnnnnnnn . . . (his words) "the magic potion" . . .Nexxus Humectress:ohwell: Now come on now! I might have bought the no lye thing, up until he said the nothing can cure it but Humectress part. You mean to tell me that no lyes are so damaging that the only one thing to cure it is Humectress? So, if that is all it takes then technically there's no problem right?:look: When I read that, I had to remember that he is indeed a stylist here and definitely has another agenda going on besides giving you all the facts you need to grow your hair healthier. He can't be totally objective, he has to stay in business and feed his family. The brotha has retail he needs to get off his salon back bar.:lol:

The other thing was telling people that they can use hot curlers and electric irons daily . . . as long as they use the amazing Dudley Creme Press.:look: I am just worried that some innocent lady is gonna stumble across page 23 and think its totally okay to fire up her irons each and every day, dudley creme press in hand, because Shamboosie said she could.:confused: That scares me.

Other than that, its good reading:lol:

Sistaslick said:
dang, I lost the post that I typed:mad:

Oh well!:lol: I was gonna say that I just got this book the day before yesterday and there is some great info inside!:yep: Some things he said left me scratching my head though. He said that no lye relaxers cause dryness, dryness so terrible that it cannot be fixed by anything. Nothing at all. Except... duhn duhn duhnnnnnnn . . . (his words) "the magic potion" . . .Nexxus Humectress:ohwell: Now come on now! I might have bought the no lye thing, up until he said the nothing can cure it but Humectress part. You mean to tell me that no lyes are so damaging that the only one thing to cure it is Humectress? So, if that is all it takes then technically there's no problem right?:look: When I read that, I had to remember that he is indeed a stylist here and definitely has another agenda going on besides giving you all the facts you need to grow your hair healthier. He can't be totally objective, he has to stay in business and feed his family. The brotha has retail he needs to get off his salon back bar.:lol:

The other thing was telling people that they can use hot curlers and electric irons daily . . . as long as they use the amazing Dudley Creme Press.:look: I am just worried that some innocent lady is gonna stumble across page 23 and think its totally okay to fire up her irons each and every day, dudley creme press in hand, because Shamboosie said she could.:confused: That scares me.

Other than that, its good reading:lol:

Girl you got me LMAO at you!
I ordered Shamboosies book at about the same time I joined this board. Actually found this board before his book came and when I got his book, I started reading and taking things in and quickly realized that he is trying to move some Nexxus and Dudley's product. But because I had been reading the board before I got his book and some of the testimonials of people here on the board that were contrary to what he was saying, I could not get done reading his book. When he said the part about being o.k. to use heat appliances daily as long as you have a protectant, I just put the book down and hadn't been able to pick it back up since!! I have to say that most of the stuff in his book I had already found on this board by the time the book came!!

Like I really did believe that nexxus humectress is gods gift to black hair and some magic potion. Oh puhleez. That book was too funny.

Yeah I read his book, it had some good points but some of what he said was completely far off! If I followed every little thing he said I might end up like Shamboissee...bald!

My friend purchased the book two years ago and her hair was okay. She followed his system and actually went to him to do her relaxers every six to eight weeks. In all of her ten years that we've been friends , I had never seen her hair grow so long and healthy and look that nice. She always had a thick head of hair but it always broke of at a certain point. So I guess there is some value in his book. I must admint he is not being to objective but if those are the products that produced results for him then he doesn't have to be.

UmSumayyah said:
I have thick hair and tight curl pattern and found no problems with my hair absorbing moisture from conditioners or being soft to the touch. And this is when I used no-lye relaxers other than Phyto, so obviously his opinion on no-lye doesn't hold true for all.

Another ditto on that...
I use a wonderful No-lye.
My hair moisture issues comes from my own laziness, :lol:

scorpian said:

Girl, I posted this a few years ago and some of the no-lye ladies wanted to bite my head off! Oh well, glad to see it resurface. :) This is good, helpful info. :up:

Back