setbacks in 2010? what did you learn?

blessedandlucky

is it just me? i love seeing everyone's progress in the 2010 update thread and i can't help but be a little disappointed in my lack of progress. :wallbash:

if you didn't do as well as you wanted in 2010: (1) what happened and (2) what will you do differently in 2011? (3) goal for 2011

for me:
(1) trimmed too frequently and i'm dealing with some shedding now and had some breakage earlier in the year

(2) trim in june 2011 and then reassess in dec 2011, stay consistent with moisturizing at night or every other night (i got real lazy):nono:

(3) longest layers mbl and shortest layers full bsl

happy hair growing!! :grin:

This year I've accepted that...

... my hair will not thrive if I flat iron it. Breaky, breaky.
... dc'ing before my shampoo then a super-quick condition afterward leaves me with better results.
... lightening my hair results in breakage. I need to get some extensions if I want to play with color.
... a satin bonnet underneath the hood of my winter coat saves my style.
... satisfying that urge to cut bangs, will always, always result in me being ticked-off later. Use clip-ins.

My goal is BSL.

Last edited:
Dominican blowouts are not for me. Thankful it only took one time to learn this lesson. My hair is a little thinner, but I am a lot wiser.

I didn't have any major set backs this year. But I have come to realize that I cannnot stretch as long as others do...I've learned to listen to my hair.

if you didn't do as well as you wanted in 2010:

(1) what happened? I was to eager to grow it out and jump on bandwagons instead of doing what I was originally doing which actually was growing my hair in healthier.

(2) what will you do differently in 2011?
This year I will keep a simple regi going for myself. I never had a problem flat ironing my hair weekly so i think i will go back to doing what I was originally doing. I was just expecting my hair to go from SL then waaay down to BSL in a months time. (crazy I know)

(3) goal for 2011: Strong, healthy and longer hair.

What happened: I let a woman do my hair twice when I shouldn't have allowed it. I KNOW she wants to relax my hair.

What I'll do differently: beg a guy @ school to sew me up! He knows what he's doing.

Goal: somewhere between APL and BSB, thicker and healthier.

1.Domican blowouts are not for my head...the heat is too much and my hair is too fine.
2.Coconut oil is a must have for me as well as Rose H20.
3.I am just not patient enough to achieve the polished look at home....at least not yet anyways.

I've learned

That rollersetting is the best for me.
I will NEVER wash and go.
I will NEVER air dry, unless in twists
I will NEVER blow dry
I will only wear twists when I am on vacation and I will be emerged in water
I only need to wash my hair once a week
Less is more

(1) what happened and
The middle layer of my hair is broke off I have no idea how this happened though...
I think my hair needs more protein and i'm looking for a protein conditioner. And I am badly need of a deep moisturizer, my hair gets dry so fast. I'm looking for one now. I will completely be on top of moisturizing everyday (twice a day probably)I wore mostly protective styles anyway. But I will be under wigs for at least the first 4 months and the last 2 of 2011.
(3) goal for 2011
I haven't decided compltely, around June I'll decide. But I think I will be cutting a few inches so hopefully my shorter layers will be much closer. :yep:

In 2010 I realized that I shoulda' switched from Lye to No-Lye. I struggled throughout 2010 trying to make "Lye" work for me. I was using MBB Lye (Regular).

I shoulda' cut my losses (No Pun Intended) when I continued to be underprocessed and suffered from Matted/Tangled/Loc'ed Hair during the process.

11-20 I switched to No-Lye, bought a Chelating Shampoo and KIM, I am much happier with my hair.

In the New Year, I will continue with my same Regimen. The only difference will be using No-Lye (Mizani Butter Blends No-Lye S. Scalp) and will Chelate as needed.

Last edited:
what happened? I got lazy and so my hair didn't really thrive when it could have. For some strange reason, I when I saw my hair was dry I did nothing :nono:, I probably could have saved myself an inch or two

what I will do differently? Moisturize, protective style, and even though it might seem like a good idea in between styling, I will not flat iron.

goal: continue to my goal of APL.

No setbacks to speak of, but I am really lazy and I need to cut that out! My goals for 2011 are to keep doing my treatments and keep it simple, NOT lazy.

(1) I got bored of braids and stopped wearing them . As a consequence I had a lot of breakage this year and my ends became really dry - I only retained 2 inches this year.

(2) Trim in 2011 and stay consistent with protective styling. Especially braids - they are my best friend.

(3) I have no idea what I should even aim for after this year - maybe scraping MBL?

I was very disappointed this year and I have retained no growth, or the growth I did retain I had to chop off.

1. The main reason was a switch in environments. When I moved from an area of soft water to an area of hard water I had no idea what was contributing to my breakage and dry brittle ends until too late.
2. Lack of time to deep condition my hair like I usually do. working on a doctorate has made it difficult to keep up with the same routines
3. Lack of protective styling

1. I learned that I needed to stop shampooing and just use ACV to cleanse and clarify my hair. ACV works to smooth the cuticle layers which were becoming damaged due to the hard water concentrations
2. I learned that I needed to find a regimen that is going to work for my hair and also with my time management.

No set backs in 2010, but I regret cutting my hair to get a nice blunt cut... only to have it grow back in a V. Insert sad horn here LOL

I probably only retained 2 inches :-( and I cut about 3. Next year I will keep the scissors away from my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened? I got lazy and pretty much abandoned my healthy hair routine. Stopped DC'ing as often, didnt moisturize like I'm supposed to, stopped visiting the forums, picked up the flat iron.

Result: I DID gain lots of growth and thickness with my summer sew-in. Was thisclose to BSL, then got a much-needed trim b/c my poor practices caused my ends to be raggedy and split. Result: A year after making APL, I'm still APL. :cry:

What will i do differently in 2011: This year is going to be twice as busy as last year (moving to atl)...Once I set foot in GA I'm going back in a sew-in!! I know I wont hav e the time to care for my hair like i should, so i"m choosing to hide it for a while.

Goal: BSL (still) :ohwell:

I've learned not to overlap coloring my hair..Result was splits and breakage that I am still recovering from..I think a lost about an inch...Also bunning isn't something I can do on a regular..my edges are so fine and thin for that..Now they are thin and broken....On the up side..I learned how to perfect my wash and go and braid outs..I also learned that I hate no wait I HATE twistouts on me...My goal for next year BSL and possibly MBL by the end of the yr...

Keep everyone out of my head, dont take advice from anyone who has had the same length for more than 2 years, dont offer to give any advice to women other than the ones on the hair boards...Keep my hair journey/pics to myself in real life because jealousy is very real..

Sent from my Sprint HTC Evo using Long Hair Care Forum App

(1) what happened
---Letting someone get into my head and them taking it upon themselves to do what they think was right, which was to cut my hair blunt when it doesn't grow that way so it will be back in its "V" in 12 wks.

---Either let my mom or bf dust my ends and go to the white ppl for a trim cause they listen.

(3) goal for 2011
---MBL, I think I can do it.

I learned not to forget to DC or do a hot oil treatment after a hard protein treatment... otherwise there will be major shedding.

What happened:

Lack of/improper detangling lead to breakage/little retention in the first 5 months of this year.

What I learned:
- Only finger detangling only can work up until a certain length for me. My hair needs to be detangled w/a comb in addition to my fingers. I've also learned that my hair is best detangled when my hair is streched w/conditioner and oil. Discovering and using Aussie Moist to help with detangling has been the best thing for me this year as well as my ouidad comb.

-My hair needs to be trimmed regularly. My hair started taking off again (growth and retention) in May/June after I did my first trim.

-My hair loves and thrives on oils. Once I started using oils (May/June) my hair was softer and easier to manage.

Last edited:
What Happened: I self applied and under processed perms TWICE (Dec. 2009/March 2010) and suffered a lot of breakage and damage.
The Result: I had about 3 inches of retention and I'm typically a faster than average grower.
2011 Plan: I'm planning on gowing from bsb/bsl to a blunt bob with bangs. The goal is to retain as much length as possible while COMPLETELY getting rid of pre-LHCF bone straight ends and evening up the horrible breakage I discovered too late.
What I learned: 1. I, too, cannot stretch more than three months without my hair paying the price. 2. Pay attention when you're losing golf-ball-size balls of hair on wash days. It's NOT because your hair is longer.

Last edited:
(1) what happened: Went to the hair salon and the stylist cut off 3.5 inches of hair.

(2) what will you do differently in 2011? I want to be a complete do-it-yourselfer this year. I will go back to trimming my own hair. Also, it's official, I am the leading expert on my own hair. I won't be so quick to listen to others, regardless of "training,
anymore.

(3) goal for 2011: HL and maybe TBL

(1) what happened? I got lazy, did a major (5 mo.) stretch (mostly due to laziness), didn't moisturize well or enough, underprocessed my relaxer twice which led to major tangles and breakage.

DC and/or co-wash at least 2x week, trim a little more often, perfect my self-relaxing technique, no more stretching beyond 12 weeks, finally find the right daily moisturizer even if it means I have to order it online :ohwell:

(3) goal for 2011: Thicker, stronger, healthier, and more moisturized full APL hair.

(1) what happened
---Leaving my braids or plaits in for too long and then being impatient while detangling and RIPPING the knots out. :ohwell:

---I need to detangle (and re-braid) more often because my shed hair will dred while repeated washing in braids.

(3) goal for 2011
---BSL I think I can make with a solid wig "protective" regimen.

(1) what happened? My stylist cut my hair 2 - 2.5 inches instead of 1/4 inch. I was watching television and she just started cutting :cry3:

Only trim my hair myself for now using split ender and maybe December 2011 and I will get a trim but watch carefully.
(3) goal for 2011:
I want to make Full WL.

What happened? I got lazy and pretty much abandoned my healthy hair routine. Stopped DC'ing as often, didnt moisturize like I'm supposed to, stopped visiting the forums, picked up the flat iron.

Result: I DID gain lots of growth and thickness with my summer sew-in. Was thisclose to BSL, then got a much-needed trim b/c my poor practices caused my ends to be raggedy and split. Result: A year after making APL, I'm still APL. :cry:

What will i do differently in 2011: This year is going to be twice as busy as last year (moving to atl)...Once I set foot in GA I'm going back in a sew-in!! I know I wont hav e the time to care for my hair like i should, so i"m choosing to hide it for a while.

Goal: BSL (still) :ohwell:

Yay!!! The ATL welcomes you!!!! I was wondering what happened...:welcome: back!!!! You'll be BSL in no time (again)!!!

I was very disappointed this year and I have retained no growth, or the growth I did retain I had to chop off.

1. The main reason was a switch in environments. When I moved from an area of soft water to an area of hard water I had no idea what was contributing to my breakage and dry brittle ends until too late.
2. Lack of time to deep condition my hair like I usually do. working on a doctorate has made it difficult to keep up with the same routines
3. Lack of protective styling

1. I learned that I needed to stop shampooing and just use ACV to cleanse and clarify my hair. ACV works to smooth the cuticle layers which were becoming damaged due to the hard water concentrations
2. I learned that I needed to find a regimen that is going to work for my hair and also with my time management.

Yes...pursuing a doctorate is no joke, but at least you have figured out what the problem is!!! Happy Hair Growing!

I learned not to forget to DC or do a hot oil treatment after a hard protein treatment... otherwise there will be major shedding.

:lachen: :lachen: I remember that, IRL!!!

(1) what happened: Went to the hair salon and the stylist cut off 3.5 inches of hair.

(2) what will you do differently in 2011? I want to be a complete do-it-yourselfer this year. I will go back to trimming my own hair. Also, it's official, I am the leading expert on my own hair. I won't be so quick to listen to others, regardless of "training,
anymore.

(3) goal for 2011: HL and maybe TBL

THIS...I have to remember that I really am the expert for "my" hair...Great point!!!

I didn't have a setback this year per se, but the color did slow down my retention...So for next year, other than to cover the greys, no color...:nono:

Back