Sensitive Scalp Help!

Sassygoddess

I have a friend at work who have very sensitive scalp. Every relaxer that she has ever used has burned her serverly. her natural hair is very thick and uncontrolable. she relaxes,but maybe every five months just so that she can manage her hair. I promised her that i will find her a solution so i need your help.

any suggestions?

does she base her scalp? does she only use no-lye?
I would suggest using isoplus castor oil to base her scalp before a relaxer.

yeah she base and still she burns, i told her to try a texturizer. are there any recommendations?

HELLO is anyone there?

her new growth is real thick and hard to manager. she need something to soften a bit. i told her not to relax,but what are some alternatives to controling very thick natural hair.

I just use a really good conditioner (Pantene) and do my hairstyles while in the shower. For example, I'll shampoo (with Burt's Bees shampoo bar) and put in a lot of conditioner and comb through with a detangling comb. Then I put it up while I shower, using the comb to pin the hair to my head. To rinse, just separate hair in four sections, first from ear to ear, then temple to temple, then two more cross sections at the top, brushing out each section (using a Denman brush) with conditioner while the shower hits it. At this point all hair should be smooth and going back. From here I can french braid (my everyday style) or put it in an elastic to make a ponytail or a bun or just leave it out to roller set or wear as an afro or puff. I find that my natural hair is very easy to handle when done this way. Hope that helps.

My scalp is extremely sensitive!!! Relaxers have always burned within minutes of it touching my hair! A few things have helped:

1) Washing more frequently. The more I wash, the cleaner my scalp is, the less I'm likely to scratch. If her scalp is dry, tell her to try Flaxseed Oil.
2) No exercising 48 hours before a relaxer application. I was always good for working out then getting a touch up the next day:( Dummy! Burns from open pores..
3) No washing my hair three days before a touch up.
4) Avoiding carbonated beverages the day before a touch up.
5) Try Vitale Life and Body with Aloe. It's lye, but I've never had a burn after using it.

She might want to consider the fact that she might be allergic to relaxers which is not uncommon. In fact, I thought I was allergic and vowed to discontinue usage if none of the above worked.

Sassygoddess said:
her new growth is real thick and hard to manager. she need something to soften a bit. i told her not to relax,but what are some alternatives to controling very thick natural hair.

Conditioner and the right tools. Kenra Moisturizing conditioner is good for thick, coarse hair. A K Cutter comb is good for detangling. A denman d3 brush smoothes the hair and defines the texture. The denman can also be used to blowdrying because it straightens the hair.

Co-signing on using Vitale Life and Body. I have an ultra sensitive scalp also and I would burn profusely until I tried this particular relaxer.

DiamondStar said:
My scalp is extremely sensitive!!! Relaxers have always burned within minutes of it touching my hair! A few things have helped:

1) Washing more frequently. The more I wash, the cleaner my scalp is, the less I'm likely to scratch. If her scalp is dry, tell her to try Flaxseed Oil.
2) No exercising 48 hours before a relaxer application. I was always good for working out then getting a touch up the next day:( Dummy! Burns from open pores..
3) No washing my hair three days before a touch up.
4) Avoiding carbonated beverages the day before a touch up.
5) Try Vitale Life and Body with Aloe. It's lye, but I've never had a burn after using it.

She might want to consider the fact that she might be allergic to relaxers which is not uncommon. In fact, I thought I was allergic and vowed to discontinue usage if none of the above worked.

i told her the same thing about being allergic. will a texturizer do the same thing?

meka said:
Co-signing on using Vitale Life and Body. I have an ultra sensitive scalp also and I would burn profusely until I tried this particular relaxer.

I will tell her about the Vitale Life and body.

Back